Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick YOUR favorite of the two
Raleigh 93 53.14%
Indianapolis 82 46.86%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 AM

15 posts, read 28,985 times

Advertisements

Raleigh metro is 1.8 million
Indianapolis metro is 1.7 million

Raleigh is the fastest growing metro in the country
Indianapolis has an average growth rate

Raleigh is more high tech
Indianapolis is more urban

Both are state capitals

Which city is better when it comes to urbanity, quality of life, cost of living, sports, downtown night life and all around things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Comparing the cities themselves, one advantage Indy has is being THE urban center of its region. Raleigh has to share that distinction with Durham, and to a lesser extent, Chapel Hill. So in terms of the cities themselves, I give Indy the nod.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
First of all, the Raleigh metropolitan area as defined by the U.S. Census is NOT 1.8 million people, it's actually around 1 million. Raleigh's Core Statistical Area (CSA) does have 1.6 million, but that's because it's actually an agglomeration of three cities whose metro areas merged together (Raleigh, Durham, and Cary). Indy, on the other hand, is the only core city in a metro of 1.8 million and a CSA of over 2 million. So any way you define it, Raleigh is actually significantly smaller that Indy. Just wanted to clarify things.

Now then, this is a hard pick. Indy's core would probably be a bit more older and established, though the Raleigh area benefits from significantly better weather, especially in winter. Both cities give off a modern, white collar vibe.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
First of all, the Raleigh metropolitan area as defined by the U.S. Census is NOT 1.8 million people, it's actually around 1 million. Raleigh's Core Statistical Area (CSA) does have 1.6 million, but that's because it's actually an agglomeration of three cities whose metro areas merged together (Raleigh, Durham, and Cary). Indy, on the other hand, is the only core city in a metro of 1.8 million and a CSA of over 2 million. So any way you define it, Raleigh is actually significantly smaller that Indy. Just wanted to clarify things.
There are two MSAs in the Triangle CSA: Raleigh-Cary and Durham (which includes Chapel Hill). It should be noted, however, that they all formerly constituted one MSA which got broken up when the Census Bureau/OMB redefined MSAs. Just wanted to shed even more light on things.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Raliegh has an NHL team. I wish Indy had an NHL team.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie08 View Post
Raleigh metro is 1.8 million
Indianapolis metro is 1.7 million

Raleigh is the fastest growing metro in the country
Indianapolis has an average growth rate

Raleigh is more high tech
Indianapolis is more urban

Both are state capitals

Which city is better when it comes to urbanity, quality of life, cost of living, sports, downtown night life and all around things to do?
Raleigh and the Triangle house the three major universities in the State: NC State in Raleigh, UNC in Chapel Hill and Duke in Durham.

Raleigh's a decent drive to DC while Indy is a decent drive to Chicago.

Raleigh is less than 2 hours from the coast and 3-4 hours from the mountains of VA and NC. Indy can't touch that.

Cost of living is lower in Indy. This is especially true of housing. Raleigh's cost of living is pretty much near the national median.

Raleigh has a more educated populace: among the very top tier in the country.

Indy has pro-football and basketball. Raleigh has ACC basketball and football.

Raleigh is immediately adjacent to neighboring communities/cities that offer different vibes.

My parents are from Indiana and would never go back. I vote Raleigh.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:55 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Who comes up with these threads??

Old 07-14-2009, 04:48 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Who comes up with these threads??
I was thinking the same thing! This is almost as bad as that Indy vs. Omaha thread. I have never lived in Raleigh nor Indy, but I have visited both. Visiting "The Nap" was an absolute pleasure!!! Visiting Raleigh was about as exciting as visiting Muncie, Indiana. I am NOT joking either.

Indy hands down!!! Next topic please...

BTW why are the Waffle Houses in Indiana called Waffle and Steak? They are both the same chain, but they have a different name in Indy...

Old 07-14-2009, 04:53 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Raleigh by a very wide margin.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
I think it is a no brainer that Indianapolis wins the urbanity battle. You could even argue that Durham is more urban than Raleigh. It is a bit apples to oranges comparison to me because Raleigh is a polarized region having multiple cities and centers, while Indianapolis is THE anchor city in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City