Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2019, 12:25 AM

994 posts, read 781,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Crime ridden town would not want to live there kinda good to visit though.

Fort Smith Arkansas
Is the listed hometown of Bryant "Big Country" Reeves (how I know that is a ???).

Reeves was notable because he was a big, white stiff NBA center from the 90s. Another was Greg Ostertag, from:

Duncanville, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 01:54 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
less desirable place in the Metroplex

Bangor,ME

Old 10-26-2019, 04:05 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
less desirable place in the Metroplex

Bangor,ME
Stephen King, small city way up there in deep Maine, Stephen King, pretty much the last city on I-95 before Canada, and Stephen King.

Manchester, NH

Old 10-26-2019, 08:05 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Stephen King, small city way up there in deep Maine, Stephen King, pretty much the last city on I-95 before Canada, and Stephen King.

Manchester, NH
"Live Free or Die." Biggest city in the state and home of the Union Leader, the only statewide daily newspaper, run by a famously conservative guy named William Loeb when I was growing up. Grungy, nondescript mill town that has recently morphed into a fairly attractive, nondescript mill town.

Portsmouth, N.H.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:41 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Live Free or Die." Biggest city in the state and home of the Union Leader, the only statewide daily newspaper, run by a famously conservative guy named William Loeb when I was growing up. Grungy, nondescript mill town that has recently morphed into a fairly attractive, nondescript mill town.

Portsmouth, N.H.
Quaint port town. Have only driven through there.

Charlotte, NC

Old 10-27-2019, 08:47 AM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post

Charlotte, NC
I hear about it all the time but I have no idea what all the hype is about.

Oakland, CA

Old 10-27-2019, 08:50 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post

Charlotte, NC
Some rare early gold coins were made in its mint that's now a cool museum and of course is home to the NASCAR hall of fame, but otherwise its "basic America" for most purposes. It lacks the regional leadership of an Atlanta, the cultural niche of Nashville or New Orleans, the historical footprint of Charleston, Savnnah, or Richmond, and even the university presence of its in-state Triangle rival. Just a lot of chain restaurants and sprawl with a CBD that's 9-5 for the most part. Have no desire to visit unless possibly I go there on a day tip if I visited my uncle. But if you want a low-frills, auto-centric city that's family-friendly, it's for you. It's the Toyota Camry LE of cities and is to the south to what Indy is to the midwest.

Oops, but I'l do Oakland:

Hub of the East Bay of the Bay Area, sadly losing a lot of pro sports lately, less foggy than the peninsula, good BART access, the center of the regions black community, sadly getting overpriced in the desirable neighborhoods

Federal Way, WA

Old 10-27-2019, 10:08 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Some rare early gold coins were made in its mint that's now a cool museum and of course is home to the NASCAR hall of fame, but otherwise its "basic America" for most purposes. It lacks the regional leadership of an Atlanta, the cultural niche of Nashville or New Orleans, the historical footprint of Charleston, Savnnah, or Richmond, and even the university presence of its in-state Triangle rival. Just a lot of chain restaurants and sprawl with a CBD that's 9-5 for the most part. Have no desire to visit unless possibly I go there on a day tip if I visited my uncle. But if you want a low-frills, auto-centric city that's family-friendly, it's for you. It's the Toyota Camry LE of cities and is to the south to what Indy is to the midwest.

Oops, but I'l do Oakland:

Hub of the East Bay of the Bay Area, sadly losing a lot of pro sports lately, less foggy than the peninsula, good BART access, the center of the regions black community, sadly getting overpriced in the desirable neighborhoods

Federal Way, WA
Federal Way is a basic I-5 commuter suburb of Seattle, close to Tacoma and will to be connected by Light Rail sometime in the 2020's. Fairly non-descript, chains, strip malls and the gamut of suburban homes. Even the name is generic, namesake for the federal road (the de-commissioned US 99) that ran through it.

Bellevue, WA

Old 10-27-2019, 12:26 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Federal Way is a basic I-5 commuter suburb of Seattle, close to Tacoma and will to be connected by Light Rail sometime in the 2020's. Fairly non-descript, chains, strip malls and the gamut of suburban homes. Even the name is generic, namesake for the federal road (the de-commissioned US 99) that ran through it.

Bellevue, WA
Almost confused it for downtown Seattle on my first visit to that city until I noticed the absence of the Space Needle and realized I wasn't in Seattle itself. An edge city that feels like a city, mainly because it grafted another downtown onto its cute small-town Main Street.

Bellevue, Neb.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:59 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Almost confused it for downtown Seattle on my first visit to that city until I noticed the absence of the Space Needle and realized I wasn't in Seattle itself. An edge city that feels like a city, mainly because it grafted another downtown onto its cute small-town Main Street.

Bellevue, Neb.
Suburban town south of Omaha. I like the Omaha metro.

Colorado Springs, CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City