Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 12:03 PM

899 posts, read 519,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Doesn't rank well at all in my metro rankings. Lots of retirees. Not too far from Orlando and Tampa Bay.

Hickory, NC
Right now, it’s alright. But as Charlotte gentrifies, Hickory is in danger.

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 04:15 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Right now, it’s alright. But as Charlotte gentrifies, Hickory is in danger.

Farmington, New Mexico
It's interesting Hickory was mentioned, since years ago I had a few family relatives who briefly lived there. It does have a few things that are nice, such as a local art museum(Hickory Museum of Art) which is nice. As for Charlotte, I doubt its growth will impact Hickory, as it's like an hour northwest of Charlotte. Also Hickory's city population has grown each Census, and it has NEVER shown a decrease(even a small one) over any past decades. So, that city must be doing some things right. I don't think it'll ever be as big of a destination place for people to travel to as say Asheville, but I remember Hickory being not a bad city for what I saw.

Farmington is one town I don't know much about, except that it's in northwest New Mexico, in the 'Four Corners' area of Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. It seems like it probably isn't a bad town, and its downtown seemed like it was nice per a quick street view check. I also noticed this big guy statue over a doors and glass business, that I thought was interesting and reminded me a little bit of some of the statues I've seen on Route 66. Such as the 'Gemini Giant' statue in Wilmington, IL, at Launching Pad Drive-In. Anyway the one in Farmington: https://goo.gl/maps/xtcftKCUuJQEyZB36

Santa Fe, NM

Old 04-29-2021, 04:56 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 11 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 979,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
It's interesting Hickory was mentioned, since years ago I had a few family relatives who briefly lived there. It does have a few things that are nice, such as a local art museum(Hickory Museum of Art) which is nice. As for Charlotte, I doubt its growth will impact Hickory, as it's like an hour northwest of Charlotte. Also Hickory's city population has grown each Census, and it has NEVER shown a decrease(even a small one) over any past decades. So, that city must be doing some things right. I don't think it'll ever be as big of a destination place for people to travel to as say Asheville, but I remember Hickory being not a bad city for what I saw.

Farmington is one town I don't know much about, except that it's in northwest New Mexico, in the 'Four Corners' area of Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. It seems like it probably isn't a bad town, and its downtown seemed like it was nice per a quick street view check. I also noticed this big guy statue over a doors and glass business, that I thought was interesting and reminded me a little bit of some of the statues I've seen on Route 66. Such as the 'Gemini Giant' statue in Wilmington, IL, at Launching Pad Drive-In. Anyway the one in Farmington: https://goo.gl/maps/xtcftKCUuJQEyZB36

Santa Fe, NM
Punches really hard for its size (far above its weight). Probably due to Indigenous and Spanish history/culture and its unique architecture, oldest state capital in the USA (1607). Huge tourist draw. I would like to visit someday!

How about Joplin, Missouri

Old 04-29-2021, 05:10 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Stayed there once coming back from a spring-break road trip during college with two close friends, from Ohio to New Mexico. We left immediately that morning, being exhausted and just wanting to get back. Have no other associations with the town.

Centralia, WA

Old 04-29-2021, 06:50 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Stayed there once coming back from a spring-break road trip during college with two close friends, from Ohio to New Mexico. We left immediately that morning, being exhausted and just wanting to get back. Have no other associations with the town.

Centralia, WA
I don't know much about Centralia, only that it's located between both Tacoma and Olympia, and Portland. The Amtrak Cascades regional train stops there, and I think the long distance Coast Starlight also does stop there.

Spokane, WA

Old 05-03-2021, 08:54 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I don't know much about Centralia, only that it's located between both Tacoma and Olympia, and Portland. The Amtrak Cascades regional train stops there, and I think the long distance Coast Starlight also does stop there.

Spokane, WA
It's been a good while since I've been (about 15 years ago) and I liked it. Loved that it was close to Coeur d'Alene, ID. Nice people. But it seems to have gone downhill a bit over the years according to some of my studies and a few people I know who have been over the last couple of years. Some blight, crime has increased. But my overall opinion of Spokane is favorable.

Sacramento, CA

Old 05-03-2021, 11:49 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
It's a visually attractive city with amiable weather, but surprisingly suburban when you get more than a couple miles from downtown. Solid light rail system. Around the lower limit size-wise of metros where I'd want to live.

Iowa City, IA

Old 05-03-2021, 12:15 PM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It's a visually attractive city with amiable weather, but surprisingly suburban when you get more than a couple miles from downtown. Solid light rail system. Around the lower limit size-wise of metros where I'd want to live.

Iowa City, IA
I keep thinking it should be the state capital, since it has the name of the state in it. (Repeat to myself: the capital of Iowa is Des Moines. The capital of Iowa is Des Moines . . .) The world's largest truck stop is located not far from there.

West Palm Beach, FL

Old 05-03-2021, 08:10 PM

899 posts, read 519,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I keep thinking it should be the state capital, since it has the name of the state in it. (Repeat to myself: the capital of Iowa is Des Moines. The capital of Iowa is Des Moines . . .) The world's largest truck stop is located not far from there.

West Palm Beach, FL
Rather dangerous, and it's in danger of the bad end of gentrification. I prefer Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Meridian, Idaho

Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 PM

474 posts, read 531,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Rather dangerous, and it's in danger of the bad end of gentrification. I prefer Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Meridian, Idaho
I have a friend who lives here! Middle-class Boise suburb, lots of Mormons (or so I've been told). Great access to hiking trails.

Chattanooga, TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City