Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2021, 02:47 PM

2,550 posts, read 2,876,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Seems like(from street viewing it) that it'd be a very nice city to live in, for northwest(mainland, NOT Upper Peninsula of course) Michigan. The only thing is that I wish it was a little less isolated from the rest of mainland Michigan, but otherwise seems like it'd be a good place to live. And near some nice vacation spots nearby, i.e. the two peninsulas north of Traverse City, town of Petoskey, Sleeping Bear Dunes Park, etc.

Now to pick a place on a different Great Lake, and coincidentally where a certain famous amusement park is: Sandusky, OH
Cedar Point is as cool of an amusement park as you'll find anywhere in the USA. It's a prime destination in the state of Ohio no matter who you are or what your business is within the state.

Otherwise, I've read that it's a pretty unremarkable place as most parts of the city are economically depressed. Neither Toledo nor Cleveland are close enough for either to be within a(n easy) commutable distance for work or to regularly access their amenities. I would never consider living there.

Silver Spring, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 04:36 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Cedar Point is as cool of an amusement park as you'll find anywhere in the USA. It's a prime destination in the state of Ohio no matter who you are or what your business is within the state.

Otherwise, I've read that it's a pretty unremarkable place as most parts of the city are economically depressed. Neither Toledo nor Cleveland are close enough for either to be within a(n easy) commutable distance for work or to regularly access their amenities. I would never consider living there.

Silver Spring, MD
When I first saw it in 1971, it looked like a pleasant little DC suburb, with a B&O Railroad station and a main drag with a cool Art Deco movie theater on it.

The theater and the train station are both there still, but the rest of the main street has gone into hyperdrive since the Metro station opened on the other side of the tracks from the train station. It now looks like a small city rather than a small town.

Wayne, Pa.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:11 PM

3,897 posts, read 2,214,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
When I first saw it in 1971, it looked like a pleasant little DC suburb, with a B&O Railroad station and a main drag with a cool Art Deco movie theater on it.

The theater and the train station are both there still, but the rest of the main street has gone into hyperdrive since the Metro station opened on the other side of the tracks from the train station. It now looks like a small city rather than a small town.

Wayne, Pa.
Too rich for my blood but a nice suburban Philadelphia town. Staying in PA, Erie.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:31 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Too rich for my blood but a nice suburban Philadelphia town. Staying in PA, Erie.
My opinion of Erie has been forever tainted by the incident where some poor guy had a bomb strapped around his neck which was later detonated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brian_Wells

Other than that, Erie just strikes me as a non-descript post-industrial city; nothing really special about it.

Aw, what the heck, I'll stay in the Keystone State. Reading.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:43 PM

828 posts, read 651,228 times
Reading has a lot of issues but probably not quite as bad as some people think it is. Has some interesting shopping in the area and some interesting restaurants and things to see especially as you get towards Lancaster. Also has some pretty hills and not that far from the mountains. Also somewhat close to places like French Creek State Park.

Grand Forks, ND?

Old 08-16-2021, 05:58 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Reading has a lot of issues but probably not quite as bad as some people think it is. Has some interesting shopping in the area and some interesting restaurants and things to see especially as you get towards Lancaster. Also has some pretty hills and not that far from the mountains. Also somewhat close to places like French Creek State Park.

Grand Forks, ND?
It's probably an okay smaller city, in eastern North Dakota. Seems like it'd have a few things to do, thanks to it having an air force base and also University of North Dakota. I just worry it's winters would be TOO extreme for me to handle, where I doubt I'd want to live there.

I'll stay in ND for one more mid sized city. If you ever take the Amtrak Empire Builder train, your longest smoke/stretch break in ND (for about 25 minutes, though this break time can sometimes be longer if the train arrives early) is here. And it also has a military base too, and it's downtown surprised me in a good way when I looked at it on street view: Minot, ND

Old 08-16-2021, 06:23 PM

828 posts, read 651,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
It's probably an okay smaller city, in eastern North Dakota. Seems like it'd have a few things to do, thanks to it having an air force base and also University of North Dakota. I just worry it's winters would be TOO extreme for me to handle, where I doubt I'd want to live there.

I'll stay in ND for one more mid sized city. If you ever take the Amtrak Empire Builder train, your longest smoke/stretch break in ND (for about 25 minutes, though this break time can sometimes be longer if the train arrives early) is here. And it also has a military base too, and it's downtown surprised me in a good way when I looked at it on street view: Minot, ND
Grand Forks is so-so, but suffers in comparison to Fargo being merely one hour to the South and with Fargo increasingly drawing from Grand Forks, so Grand Forks is pretty overshadowed. The military base is also a decent distance from downtown (20+ miles I believe), so the advantage of the AFB is not that apparent; it also has shrunk and the university doesn't add much to the town besides the university itself.

In the case of Minot, which is the focus of the question, the air force base is just a bit closer compared with Grand Forks and it is a good bit larger, with a strong air force presence (you barely see it in Grand Forks honestly these days since the reduction in the 90s). Minot has a fairly nice downtown, with a surprisingly solid variety of restaurants and shops for a town of its size (I really only consider Fargo to be a city in ND, with Bismarck being on the bubble IMO). Minot has a tough climate, although a bit less bad in the winter compared with eastern ND/SD. Decent amount of growth in Minot too mostly due to the oil boom.

Ocean City, NJ?

Old 08-16-2021, 09:06 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Grand Forks is so-so, but suffers in comparison to Fargo being merely one hour to the South and with Fargo increasingly drawing from Grand Forks, so Grand Forks is pretty overshadowed. The military base is also a decent distance from downtown (20+ miles I believe), so the advantage of the AFB is not that apparent; it also has shrunk and the university doesn't add much to the town besides the university itself.

In the case of Minot, which is the focus of the question, the air force base is just a bit closer compared with Grand Forks and it is a good bit larger, with a strong air force presence (you barely see it in Grand Forks honestly these days since the reduction in the 90s). Minot has a fairly nice downtown, with a surprisingly solid variety of restaurants and shops for a town of its size (I really only consider Fargo to be a city in ND, with Bismarck being on the bubble IMO). Minot has a tough climate, although a bit less bad in the winter compared with eastern ND/SD. Decent amount of growth in Minot too mostly due to the oil boom.

Ocean City, NJ?
BYOB to "America's Greatest Family Resort" because it's dry. There's a very busy liquor store at the intersection (former traffic circle, from which the store takes its name) right at the mainland end of the main causeway into the city where OCNJ residents and visitors buy their booze.

Overbuilt, but it still maintains more of a small-townish vibe, and it's definitely nowhere near as overbuilt as the identically named Maryland beach resort.

I'd take Rehoboth Beach over OCNJ, but it is a nice classic New Jersey beach town.

Jersey Shore, Pa.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:48 PM

899 posts, read 521,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
BYOB to "America's Greatest Family Resort" because it's dry. There's a very busy liquor store at the intersection (former traffic circle, from which the store takes its name) right at the mainland end of the main causeway into the city where OCNJ residents and visitors buy their booze.

Overbuilt, but it still maintains more of a small-townish vibe, and it's definitely nowhere near as overbuilt as the identically named Maryland beach resort.

I'd take Rehoboth Beach over OCNJ, but it is a nice classic New Jersey beach town.

Jersey Shore, Pa.
A small Appalachian town, the opposite of what I'd expect with a name like "Jersey Shore".

Beloit, Wisconsin

Old 08-23-2021, 07:29 PM

3,897 posts, read 2,214,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
A small Appalachian town, the opposite of what I'd expect with a name like "Jersey Shore".

Beloit, Wisconsin
Never been there. My thoughts are it's probably a nice Midwestern town. Hialeah FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City