Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2021, 10:17 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Cumberland County seat and largest of the three neighboring cities (Bridgeton and Millville being the other two) at the heart of New Jersey farm country. Those famous tomatoes — which look better than ever but don't taste as great as they did when they were all gloriously ugly and misshapen — are grown all around here, and in season, farmstands and farmers' markets all across New Jersey and Greater Philadelphia are full of them. Lots of blueberries and peaches, too, both locally grown, and spinach, which grows well in sandy soil. Put simply, you will eat very well here, as long as you avoid the fast-food joints that line the highways into the city. (The fastest route from Philadelphia to Cape May, the Wildwoods and Seven Mile Island bypasses it.) Can't think of much to recommend the downtown; maybe I should go through it next time I'm headed down to that part of the Shore.

Collingswood, N.J.
First off, South Jersey blueberries are among the most delicious I've ever had anywhere. Now, as far as Collingswood goes, it's an older, somewhat crowded, nondescript South Jersey suburb. Easy access to Philadelphia via the PATCO train line, so it would be a good choice for commuters. Not a bad place, but not a great place either. Just sort of "there."

Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 05:41 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
First off, South Jersey blueberries are among the most delicious I've ever had anywhere. Now, as far as Collingswood goes, it's an older, somewhat crowded, nondescript South Jersey suburb. Easy access to Philadelphia via the PATCO train line, so it would be a good choice for commuters. Not a bad place, but not a great place either. Just sort of "there."

Fayetteville, Arkansas
When did you last visit Collingswood? Its appearance and reputation have improved a great deal over the last few years.

On to Fayetteville: I think the same applies to me regarding the home of the University of Arkansas, which I haven't seen since the 1970s. Northwest Arkansas in general has boomed since then, and what struck me as not much to write home about has become very attractive country. But I suspect it still doesn't have the cool vibe of Midwestern college towns.

Cape May, N.J. (yeah, I'm on a South Jersey kick)

Old 10-22-2021, 12:25 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
When did you last visit Collingswood? Its appearance and reputation have improved a great deal over the last few years.

On to Fayetteville: I think the same applies to me regarding the home of the University of Arkansas, which I haven't seen since the 1970s. Northwest Arkansas in general has boomed since then, and what struck me as not much to write home about has become very attractive country. But I suspect it still doesn't have the cool vibe of Midwestern college towns.

Cape May, N.J. (yeah, I'm on a South Jersey kick)
It's probably been a good 25 years at least since I laid eyes on Collingswood, so I'll readily admit that my impressions might be out of date. The same is true of Cape May, but I'll take a stab at it anyway. I think it's a lovely seaside town with a lot of charming Victorian architecture. And it's the jumping off point of the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, which is always an enjoyable ride.

Kahului, Maui, Hawaii

Old 10-22-2021, 07:01 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
It's probably been a good 25 years at least since I laid eyes on Collingswood, so I'll readily admit that my impressions might be out of date. The same is true of Cape May, but I'll take a stab at it anyway. I think it's a lovely seaside town with a lot of charming Victorian architecture. And it's the jumping off point of the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, which is always an enjoyable ride.

Kahului, Maui, Hawaii
Paradise on earth. Montpelier, VT.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:21 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,470 times
Quote:
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Near the top of the list of places i want to live.
The nicest town in the region.

Montpelier, VT.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:32 PM

899 posts, read 517,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Near the top of the list of places i want to live.
The nicest town in the region.

Montpelier, VT.
One of the safest state capitals ; not too expensive either.

Berlin, New Hampshire

Old 10-24-2021, 07:27 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
One of the safest state capitals ; not too expensive either.

Berlin, New Hampshire
Probably the poorest and most run down place I've encountered in New Hampshire with a surprising amount of blight. It contrasts with the touristy White Mountain towns down the road.

Brattleboro, Vermont

Old 10-24-2021, 08:38 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Probably the poorest and most run down place I've encountered in New Hampshire with a surprising amount of blight. It contrasts with the touristy White Mountain towns down the road.

Brattleboro, Vermont
A nice small town, with also a lot of art galleries as well.

Speaking of smaller towns that are known for having a bunch of art galleries: Nashville, IN

Old 10-25-2021, 01:56 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
A nice small town, with also a lot of art galleries as well.

Speaking of smaller towns that are known for having a bunch of art galleries: Nashville, IN
Typical small town. Wichita KS.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:49 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,470 times
^^aerospace, Boeing etc....

Nashville? for a big, little city, it never grabbed me.
Not just the built environment of Downtown,
the not well activated street wall, or the numbers of people.
For me it's too sprawly.

Lawrence, KS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City