Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2021, 09:59 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I feel the same way about London, Ontario even though it's a fairly sizable city.

New London, CT is an historic seaport, very New England in feel but with more grit. It has its charm but its definitely not like Newport or Portsmouth. More of a working harbor with the Groton Sub Base right there. I like New London, I took a ferry to Block Island from there once and enjoyed my stay. It's got a very scenic harbor and it's in one of the nicer parts of the state. It feels like a real place and a seaport atmosphere that's not overly touristy.

New Haven, CT
Better than it used to be. Urban renewal mucked up the city center, but it seems to have snapped back. Yale remains a stalwart, though (as has been noted in other forums here) Ivy League universities tend to have standoffish relationships with the cities that house them, and that applies to Yale as well. (Or is that "applied" now?) Great pizza, and the train station on the edge of downtown has been rehabbed very nicely.

Bethlehem, Pa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 01:48 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,202,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I feel the same way about London, Ontario even though it's a fairly sizable city.

New London, CT is an historic seaport, very New England in feel but with more grit. It has its charm but its definitely not like Newport or Portsmouth. More of a working harbor with the Groton Sub Base right there. I like New London, I took a ferry to Block Island from there once and enjoyed my stay. It's got a very scenic harbor and it's in one of the nicer parts of the state. It feels like a real place and a seaport atmosphere that's not overly touristy.

New Haven, CT
Home of Yale. Seems like a nice New England coastal town. Norfolk VA.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:24 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Better than it used to be. Urban renewal mucked up the city center, but it seems to have snapped back. Yale remains a stalwart, though (as has been noted in other forums here) Ivy League universities tend to have standoffish relationships with the cities that house them, and that applies to Yale as well. (Or is that "applied" now?) Great pizza, and the train station on the edge of downtown has been rehabbed very nicely.

Bethlehem, Pa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Home of Yale. Seems like a nice New England coastal town. Norfolk VA.
My opinion of Bethlehem, and of the entire Lehigh Valley, is that it's an industrial wasteland, devasted by the decline of heavy industry. The Billy Joel song "Allentown" encapsulates my opinion of that area. From what I've heard, my opinion is at least 20 years out of date, and the area is much nicer now. But it's been at least 30 years since I've been there, maybe longer, so my opinion hasn't had an opportunity to be updated.

Norfolk feels like a seaside Navy town, which it is. It's more than that, but that's my predominant opinion of it.

Charlottesville, VA.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:33 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My opinion of Bethlehem, and of the entire Lehigh Valley, is that it's an industrial wasteland, devasted by the decline of heavy industry. The Billy Joel song "Allentown" encapsulates my opinion of that area. From what I've heard, my opinion is at least 20 years out of date, and the area is much nicer now. But it's been at least 30 years since I've been there, maybe longer, so my opinion hasn't had an opportunity to be updated.

Norfolk feels like a seaside Navy town, which it is. It's more than that, but that's my predominant opinion of it.

Charlottesville, VA.
When they're not dealing with "Unite the Right" rallies, the locals act "as though Mr. Jefferson was in the next room." His university, of course, dominates the city, which has a very attractive downtown pedestrian mall. Virginia in general is a very scenic, very lovely state, and Charlottesville is one of the most attractive cities in the Cavalier Commonwealth.

Rochester, N.Y.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:13 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
When they're not dealing with "Unite the Right" rallies, the locals act "as though Mr. Jefferson was in the next room." His university, of course, dominates the city, which has a very attractive downtown pedestrian mall. Virginia in general is a very scenic, very lovely state, and Charlottesville is one of the most attractive cities in the Cavalier Commonwealth.

Rochester, N.Y.
Quick note: I've been to Charlottesville before, and I really liked that city and the University of Virginia campus! Like the previous poster said, it has a very nice downtown pedestrian mall.

Now onto the current city, Rochester. I mainly think of there, as the city Kodak was founded in. And IIRC(correct me if wrong), still is headquartered there. I think Rochester once had an ABA team, before that league's merger with the NBA. I also remember passing through Rochester while riding the Amtrak Lake Shore Limited, and it struck me as a city that perhaps I'd want to stop and visit someday.

Ah what the heck, another smaller NY city along the Lake Shore Limited/Empire Service route that I don't think gets talked about much: Utica, NY

Old 11-29-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Quick note: I've been to Charlottesville before, and I really liked that city and the University of Virginia campus! Like the previous poster said, it has a very nice downtown pedestrian mall.

Now onto the current city, Rochester. I mainly think of there, as the city Kodak was founded in. And IIRC(correct me if wrong), still is headquartered there. I think Rochester once had an ABA team, before that league's merger with the NBA. I also remember passing through Rochester while riding the Amtrak Lake Shore Limited, and it struck me as a city that perhaps I'd want to stop and visit someday.

Ah what the heck, another smaller NY city along the Lake Shore Limited/Empire Service route that I don't think gets talked about much: Utica, NY
This, right here, is the sum total of my opinion of Utica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXEuIHY9ic

(from 1:15 to 1:40)

Albany, NY.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:29 PM

899 posts, read 518,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This, right here, is the sum total of my opinion of Utica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXEuIHY9ic

(from 1:15 to 1:40)

Albany, NY.
Center of New York’s Capital Region, which makes sense because it’s the capital of New York. Some bad parts, but it’s wildly exaggerated.

Poughkeepsie, NY

Old 11-30-2021, 01:39 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Center of New York’s Capital Region, which makes sense because it’s the capital of New York. Some bad parts, but it’s wildly exaggerated.

Poughkeepsie, NY
Home to Marist and Vassar Colleges, IBM still has a facility in the town of the same name, has somewhat of a rep, but not too bad...

Conway SC

Old 11-30-2021, 07:35 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,202,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Home to Marist and Vassar Colleges, IBM still has a facility in the town of the same name, has somewhat of a rep, but not too bad...

Conway SC
Conservative town not far from the beach. Ruston, La.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Conservative town not far from the beach. Ruston, La.
I drove through it on I-20 this past summer, but I have absolutely no recollection about it whatsoever. So I guess it didn't make much of an impression on me. In general, I really don't care for Louisiana (no offense to those of you who do), and nothing I saw during my I-20 drive changed that impression. I'll admit that some of the Google pictures look pretty nice.

Fort Worth, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City