Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 01:04 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,015,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Pretty nice town far north of Phoenix; has Northern Arizona University.

Hillsboro, OR
One of the farthest west suburbs of Portland, home to Intel's HQ. Also the current terminus of the Blue Line of the MAX --- which really illustrates the Portland area's above-average transit infrastructure and the effectiveness of the growth boundary in keeping sprawl limited. There's open farmland barely a mile from the last MAX station.

Hillsboro is one of the last towns I remember visiting before COVID. I don't remember why I wanted to go there, but I remember sitting inside Insomnia Coffee Co., vaguely wondering if I should be trying to buy face masks or sitting in the same room as a bunch of people, and deciding that I'd rather not worry about it and keep enjoying my book.

Grand Island, NE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 11:54 AM

3,894 posts, read 2,209,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
One of the farthest west suburbs of Portland, home to Intel's HQ. Also the current terminus of the Blue Line of the MAX --- which really illustrates the Portland area's above-average transit infrastructure and the effectiveness of the growth boundary in keeping sprawl limited. There's open farmland barely a mile from the last MAX station.

Hillsboro is one of the last towns I remember visiting before COVID. I don't remember why I wanted to go there, but I remember sitting inside Insomnia Coffee Co., vaguely wondering if I should be trying to buy face masks or sitting in the same room as a bunch of people, and deciding that I'd rather not worry about it and keep enjoying my book.

Grand Island, NE
A bit isolated but the central hub of Nebraska. Idabel OK?

Old 12-27-2021, 12:52 PM

1,808 posts, read 1,958,387 times
Looks isolated relative to the population centers, conservative (its county seat went 84% Trump), and near the Ouachita mountains, pretty much at the southwestern edge of their foothills. Too "country" for my tastes. But I can see why it appeals to a certain demographic.

Union City, NJ

Old 12-27-2021, 01:07 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,091,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Looks isolated relative to the population centers, conservative (its county seat went 84% Trump), and near the Ouachita mountains, pretty much at the southwestern edge of their foothills. Too "country" for my tastes. But I can see why it appeals to a certain demographic.

Union City, NJ
Directly across the river from Midtown Manhattan. Famous for once being the "Embroidery Capital of the World". Old, crowded, urban with some NYC hipster/yuppy types mixed in.

Dundalk, MD

Old 12-27-2021, 03:05 PM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Directly across the river from Midtown Manhattan. Famous for once being the "Embroidery Capital of the World". Old, crowded, urban with some NYC hipster/yuppy types mixed in.

Dundalk, MD
Love the name of this Baltimore suburb, and it's a pretty good example of a well-thought-out factory town. The Key Bridge, the only crossing of the Patapsco River open to hazmat vehicles, has its eastern end in Dundalk.

Parkville, Mo.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:14 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,384,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Nice city on the coast. Love their moss covered trees. Cives it a mysterious air. Casper WY.
Looks like that city would have a lot of good free museums(at least if this Casper tourism page is indeed right, https://www.visitcasper.com/things-to-do/ ), and also various hiking trails that would be very nice to check out. I always wondered if eastern Wyoming and western South Dakota visitors preferred visiting Casper, or Rapid City myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Love the name of this Baltimore suburb, and it's a pretty good example of a well-thought-out factory town. The Key Bridge, the only crossing of the Patapsco River open to hazmat vehicles, has its eastern end in Dundalk.

Parkville, Mo.
Just looked it up now, on google street view. Its downtown looks very nice! Honestly, it seems like most of those towns northwest of KC on or near the Missouri River(Weston, as well), look like they'd be hidden gems of interesting towns to visit. On a side note to expand on this, I also wouldn't mind visiting Saint Joseph one day, and perhaps also Atchinson, KS.

Home to a certain famous race through Alaska: Nome, AK

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 12-28-2021 at 02:19 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 09:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
A bit isolated but the central hub of Nebraska. Idabel OK?
Very remote and poor. I didn't know a town in Oklahoma could look so weathered and rundown until I drove through it. The only building in decent shape downtown was a drive-in bank.

Going with opposite corner of Oklahoma, Altus?

Old 12-28-2021, 10:00 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,015,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Very remote and poor. I didn't know a town in Oklahoma could look so weathered and rundown until I drove through it. The only building in decent shape downtown was a drive-in bank.

Going with opposite corner of Oklahoma, Altus?
Never heard of it so I'm streetviewing now. Looks like any other small town on the western plains or interior west. Makes me a bit nostalgic for rural Nevada actually.

The main thing I'm drawn to is the lake on the north side of town --- the lake bed when it's dried up looks interesting. I also like how there's a reservoir that you can just walk up to, not fenced off or anything. That's one thing that would never fly in a city.

Schenectady, NY

Old 12-29-2021, 06:58 AM

41 posts, read 43,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Schenectady, NY
Seems to a nice Upstate NY town. In my opinion Upstate should be it's own state or a part of Pennsylvania.

Marinette, WI

Old 12-30-2021, 11:00 AM

3,894 posts, read 2,209,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar80 View Post
Seems to a nice Upstate NY town. In my opinion Upstate should be it's own state or a part of Pennsylvania.

Marinette, WI
Nice coastal town. Russellville Ark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City