Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
South Bend 11 18.33%
Ann Arbor 43 71.67%
None 6 10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Ann Arbor's going to be more liberal and Michigan recently passed medical marijuana legislation, so definitely Ann Arbor. Also, Detroit is much closer to Ann Arbor than Chicago is to South Bend so cultural things like concerts, museums, and the like are going to be more accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:52 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Two classic Midwestern college towns and sports hubs: South Bend, IN (home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish) and Ann Arbor, MI (home of the University of Michigan Wolverines). Which one do you prefer?

My vote: Ann Arbor. Even though I live in suburban South Bend, I voted for Ann Arbor for two reasons. One, I am a huge Michigan fan, and two, it seems like a much more "active" and unique city.

What do you think?
Both are great universities, but Ann Arbor is a much nicer city than South Bend.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I agree. And it's more than snobbery-- it's arrogance. And, while I don't condone arrogance, UofMers have reason to feel pretty good about themselves. That said, most UofMers realize that even within the Big Ten, they are not alone in quality, i.e., there is always Northwestern, Wisconsin and Illinois, each of which are direct peers. The other schools in the Big10 (with ultra-obvious subtraction of Michigan State College and Ahia State-- tic) all are high-powered academic schools as well. That's all I'll say.
Ultimately, it usually comes down to the program of study. All Big 10 schools have some top-rated programs.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:49 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I say Ann Arbor. Good location, safe city with a lot going on and it's actually growing.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,463 times
Neither, I'll take Madison. Go Badgers!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:19 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
I hate college sports...so my answer has NOTHING to do with sports.

But Ann Arbor is just a better city all the way around.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 PM

169 posts, read 456,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Suburban South Bend??!! Never heard it put that way. Is that like Mishawaka or Granger, or more like Walkerton.
Given that South Bend's metro area is over 300,000 while the city itself is only about 100,00, there's more of it that is suburban than not. Mishawaka is the most obvious example, probably. It has the usual generic housing developments, chain restaurants, big box stores, etc., that every suburban area has.

As for the comparison....South Bend (apart from UND itself) is blue collar, while Ann Arbor is yuppie. I see pluses and minuses to both of those types of settings, though neither is really my ideal. I'd probably give a nod to AA just because U of M is a historically liberal institution while UND is a historically conservative one. That makes U of M more my type of college town, even if it has become more yuppie than hippie.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Ann Arbor by a mile, it is the Berkeley of the Mid-West. Also to the ones who say ND compares to U of M, no it is not even close to as good a university. U of M is a top 5 public university in the nation, it compares to CAL.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,022 times
I guess ND's undergraduate program is pretty elite, because its college ranking is a little bit higher and it's a private school. Research wise, UMich wins hands down though, in almost all fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Ann Arbor by a mile, it is the Berkeley of the Mid-West. Also to the ones who say ND compares to U of M, no it is not even close to as good a university. U of M is a top 5 public university in the nation, it compares to CAL.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:45 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I guess ND's undergraduate program is pretty elite, because its college ranking is a little bit higher and it's a private school. Research wise, UMich wins hands down though, in almost all fields.
My bad, I forgot that ND is private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City