Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 AM

197 posts, read 182,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I guess I haven't heard that one. Is NYC run that well, that it's the envy of every other city? And, why do people from NYC brag so much - it's as if they feel they own the city. As I said before, anyone who chooses to live there can. There is no criteria that people won't meet, no fences to keep them out. The people I know in NYC are not arrogant like that, and they readily admit to the city's faults.

Maybe it's your utopia, but it's not for everyone. Maybe that's why 296 million Americans don't live in the city. It's wonderful if everyone who lives there thinks the city is all that. They shouldn't be arrogant about it, though, because it was a choice they made, and it's not for everyone.
Now, NowInWI. Not everyone can just move to New York. The cost of living alone is prohibitive to most people and most people could not stand the pace or stress involved in living in a really big city. Everyone can move to New York the same way as every city could afford having Broadway i.e. 39 big stages on a world-class level or a paper on New York Times level. Somehow that does not happen at all.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 AM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Lately, it's the Bay Area that's been getting more attention on this forum. Aside from all the reasons listed previously, there's also the fact that this topic was made when there was over half a dozen topics about NYC on the first page (and I recall two of them were made by the same person while one or two more were bumped by the person). These things come in spurts.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
Now, NowInWI. Not everyone can just move to New York. The cost of living alone is prohibitive to most people and most people could not stand the pace or stress involved in living in a really big city. Everyone can move to New York the same way as every city could afford having Broadway i.e. 39 big stages on a world-class level or a paper on New York Times level. Somehow that does not happen at all.
I agree with you here... The only point of me living in ny would be to have same lifestyle I have elsewhere... If I got a job making around 150k, then I would definitely consider living in Manhattan a few years. Until then, since I don't have ties there, it doesn't make much since because while yeah I could afford to pay bills and get by, I wouldn't be able to enjoy all the cultural offerings there. But, I have a few friends who have landed the "big job" there and it makes since to do it. I feel the same way about London. This is why as not coming from either, and having gone to a state university I originally picked Chicago to go to as a bigger city job market instead of NYC, same reason others pick Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, etc.
If I had an Ivy League education or was more affluent, I would have had no qualms at going to Manhattan. But living paycheck to paycheck and a tiny efficiency apt like I know many of my friends do wasn't something I wanted to do, though there is that option there as well and many put up with it just to experience a taste at the city life.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,961,567 times
Quote:
I actually agree with this.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,635,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
^^^^ Are you insane. Every city outside of the northeast has NYC envy.
Dude.. you got some problems.

You once told me every city outside the East Coast is easy and not as dangerous.

You once told me I was a "hater" because I didn't think Washington DC is fast paced (despite me growing up there).

And now you are saying that people are envious because they don't live on the East Coast.

HAHAHHAHAHAH

Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,930,938 times
Quote:

Okay, I'll concede that. But please don't think that everyone is envious of those who live in New York, because that's just not the case. The reasons you listed above are some of the reasons that NYC is not for everyone. Some people prefer to live more comfortably on their income, be it in another large city that's not so costly, or a smaller city, or in the suburbs where they can afford a beautiful home for their families.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:18 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,023,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Okay, I'll concede that. But please don't think that everyone is envious of those who live in New York, because that's just not the case. The reasons you listed above are some of the reasons that NYC is not for everyone. Some people prefer to live more comfortably on their income, be it in another large city that's not so costly, or a smaller city, or in the suburbs where they can afford a beautiful home for their families.
But the average NYer gets paid 30% higher than the rest of the country. If you move here you might get paid higher to keep your standard of living, anyway most people rent.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,952,899 times
Most people can't afford NYC. If most people could afford Manhattan, I think it would be WAY more crowded. Think about it. You really need to be a white collar professional in order to live a decent lifestyle here.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,168,327 times
Notsogood,

No I didn't. I said Cleveland is a pussycat compared to east coast cities. I also don't believe you grew up in DC (THE CITY). This board is a great example of NYC envy. Read through a few threads! What's next? Do you want to know where Jimmy Hoffa is?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,672,912 times
Default It wasn't always like that

Quote:
back in the days when there was still Rent Controls/Stabilizations. Yes, it is probably true that not everyone can take the pace of NYC (always been that way), but if you put a New Yorker in a small town somewhere else they would probably go out of their minds with the slow place, and nothing to do, nowhere to go, etc.

Last edited by TANaples; 09-02-2009 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City