Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,962,881 times

Advertisements

New York for me. I do love Boston though, its absolutely one of my favorite places in the country to spend time in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
I like to visit NYC and I don't say it often enough but its a beast of a city but I wouldn't ever want to live there while I love Boston and its the only place in that corridor I could ever see myself living in. I really enjoy those beautiful small towns webbed into such a huge metro that preserve their character, those islands, those rocks with the lighthouses on them, those beautiful hills, that beautiful scenery nearby, its greenery, how clean the city is, its infrastructure and modernity in roads, how extensive the T is and how easily usable the Charlie card is, those majestic schools that rank with the best in the world, that exciting history and I say exciting because Bostonians know how to give a fun tour, the outdoor mentality of Bostonians especially along the Charles river, that coastal nature of the city, that winding skyline on the water, great underrated food, that vibrant downtown, amazing parks, those sexy women, the diversity, the educated feel of the city, the enviable sports teams, I really love Boston. Only downside is the weather because I hate cold but for Boston, I could tolerate it.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 AM

I forgot to mention really nice beaches out of both Nantucket and Matha's Vineyard. Likely the best beaches in the entire Northeast and for this westerner that sells big. IMO after LA, NYC, SF Bay Area, the only other metro that has it all to offer is Boston. Only things I can see lacking is the catering to a larger black population but that's life, we have to work with what we have, no place is perfect but I'm sure Boston has a thriving black population. I saw many prosperous black folks there in my recent visit.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I forgot to mention really nice beaches out of both Nantucket and Matha's Vineyard. Likely the best beaches in the entire Northeast and for this westerner that sells big. IMO after LA, NYC, SF Bay Area, the only other metro that has it all to offer is Boston. Only things I can see lacking is the catering to a larger black population but that's life, we have to work with what we have, no place is perfect but I'm sure Boston has a thriving black population. I saw many prosperous black folks there in my recent visit.
Martha's Vineyard has amazing beaches - the best part is they have great diversity... Rocky beaches on one end of the island, fine-grain sand with large waves on the other, and then lagoon-like beaches with no waves that are great for just swimming or hanging out.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
I grew up in NYC and I lived in Boston for a number of years. I LOVE both cities. Absolutely. If I had to chose it would probably be Boston for having all the benefits of a large city but in a smaller package. What NYC had over Boston for me is better race relations and more options in terms of entertainment (seriously whatever you are into no matter how obscure can be found in NYC) but Boston's history, fantastic schools and highly educated populace win out for me in the end. Plus it's gorgeous.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM

103 posts, read 136,392 times
Love visiting New York City but I would much prefer to live in Boston.To ME the QOL in Boston is better; has great history,love their sport teams,excellent dinning options, great neighborhoods that surround the downtown area and lots of wonderful towns and villages nearby. I also like that Boston has everything culturally and entertainment wise that I need but maintains a more breathable relaxing style of living that New York City doesnt.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,629,786 times
Boston is the most beautiful city in the Northeast. Along with San Francisco, it's the most beautiful city in the country.

New York is the most dynamic city in country offering the latest and greatest the country has to offer.

I am on the West coast right now and can see that LA would be like NYC and San Diego would be the West's answer to Boston. Both are different but still retain that West Coast vibe.

Boston though is a bit unfriendly. The people are cliquish and can be quite icey when meeting new people. They're not openly rude like New Yorkers but they're just not friendly and everything is just a quick conversation.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
I like to visit NYC and I don't say it often enough but its a beast of a city but I wouldn't ever want to live there while I love Boston and its the only place in that corridor I could ever see myself living in. I really enjoy those beautiful small towns webbed into such a huge metro that preserve their character, those islands, those rocks with the lighthouses on them, those beautiful hills, that beautiful scenery nearby, its greenery, how clean the city is, its infrastructure and modernity in roads, how extensive the T is and how easily usable the Charlie card is, those majestic schools that rank with the best in the world, that exciting history and I say exciting because Bostonians know how to give a fun tour, the outdoor mentality of Bostonians especially along the Charles river, that coastal nature of the city, that winding skyline on the water, great underrated food, that vibrant downtown, amazing parks, those sexy women, the diversity, the educated feel of the city, the enviable sports teams, I really love Boston. Only downside is the weather because I hate cold but for Boston, I could tolerate it.
I really like Boston, and wish it were a true rival to NYC. NYC also has a large number of beautiful small towns and greenery in its metro that are historic and beautiful, but have been so overwhelmingly dominated by the centrality of NYC that they get far less attention. NYC gets so much exposure, but its metro is and can be fantastic as well, but gets fairly little attention.

It's always seemed odd to me that Philadelphia and Boston are always given immense kudos for the history they exude yet NYC is less often mentioned despite it being historically important as well. The same goes for education in NYC (and its metro) which has several great schools especially smaller specialized schools such as Pratt, Julliard, Rockefeller, Cooper Union, and Barnard.

Quote:
There are actually really great beaches within the NYC metro, too. Long Island itself offers a good deal and variety of coastline on all sides (and the coastline of Long Island and its barrier islands is HUGE), and there's a lot of beauty in it. The north shore (as well as City Island) are quite a bit like New England coastal towns while the south shore resembles Mid-Atlantic beaches a bit more. There's also the Jersey Shore which sounds terrible, but it doesn't have to be the sort of locations that television has singled out.

The only big criticism of Long Island I have of the summer months is how many goddamn people there are--which I can understand as a huge turn-off though I guess the human circus could be attractive on its own. However, there are definitely quite a few spots that aren't so crowded.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-10-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are actually really great beaches within the NYC metro, too. Long Island itself offers a good deal and variety of coastline on all sides (and the coastline of Long Island and its barrier islands is HUGE), and there's a lot of beauty in it. The north shore (as well as City Island) are quite a bit like New England coastal towns while the south shore resembles Mid-Atlantic beaches a bit more. There's also the Jersey Shore which sounds terrible, but it doesn't have to be the sort of locations that television has singled out.

The only big criticism of Long Island I have of the summer months is how many goddamn people there are--which I can understand as a huge turn-off though I guess the human circus could be attractive on its own. However, there are definitely quite a few spots that aren't so crowded.
Don't quote me on this but I feel like maybe you can relate to it, I actually think Boston is the closest thing to a mini-NYC as it gets in the US. Just has a different culture because of New England.

TBH, I forgot about the beaches on Long Island. Good post. I think one other negative would be the time it takes to commute there but that's life, in the big city, right?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,548,874 times
NYC - gimme a break
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City