Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Lifestyle?
California Lifestyle 59 75.64%
Florida Lifestyle 19 24.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
However they do make up a large portion of the state. The bottom line is that you can not compare a southern state like Florida to a liberal western state like California in lifestyle or people.
You can compare portions EASILY. I already did.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:23 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You can compare portions EASILY. I already did.
Just because California has Disney and Universal studios and so does Florida, does not mean that they share a common culture or that the people are the same. I have lived in both states and did not find a trace of southern culture in California. I actually enjoyed living in California and its liberalism and state of mind reminded me alot of the northeast.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Looks like Florida took a beating yet again.
What states don't get beat down by Cali? I seem to recall NY also getting a good smacking by Cali. And TX. And getting one FROM TX. So we all had our turn. It's just Florida's turn to get humiliated.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Just because California has Disney and Universal studios and so does Florida, does not mean that they share a common culture or that the people are the same. I have lived in both states and did not find a trace of southern culture in California. I actually enjoyed living in California and its liberalism and state of mind reminded me alot of the northeast.
Very true, but it's more then just Disney. I just don't see how NOTHING in Florida reminds you of CA.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:
The lifestyle and people of Florida are nothing like California. I have lived in both places and have first hand knowledge. As much as you deny it, in most places Florida still has a southern lifestyle and the people are still very country.
Agree, x2 on all accounts. The coastal areas all the way down in California where most of the population is blow away anything going on in FL outside of Miami Beach. Should be comparing FL to Arizona or something.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
You just discribed Naples, and Naples is not 90% of Florida

Actually, I've spent lots and lots of time staying in other areas of Florida.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM

353 posts, read 817,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Wait...I'm confused. First off, I don't know how you can confuse "race" and "raise" Second, Florida isn't in the middle of America, lol. Far from it. A lot of people move to Florida thinking it's a great place to raise kids, but they quickly find out that it isn't at all. It's a retiree haven. There may be a spot here and there, but I'd say 90% of Florida isn't very family friendly. I say that because the schools are generally pretty bad, the kids can't go out and play during their summer vacations since the heat index is usually around 100 degrees (I NEVER see kids out anywhere when I visit my parents in the summers), the high number of sex offenders, and the state basically caters to the retirees. My parents can never go to the doctor because they close at like 4:00 (and they live in a "city"). They assume a lot of people are retired and can just go during the day. That doesn't leave many options in the day for working parents to take their kids to the doctor if they need it. Those are just a few examples.
Moderator cut: Off Topic: Topic is Lifestyle

regarding children not playing outside in the summertime.. so i suppose in the midwest and northeast the same can be said regarding the brutal winters right? I mean common there are plenty of summer camps to be involved all over florida so to say that children are not active outside simply because of the warm weather is rather dumb...

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-26-2009 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
my mistake for that gramatical misunderstanding, but it is obvious what i meant. I shall try to write more carefully this time... deal?
First and all, you never actually clarified where your parents live? central? south? north? panhandle? the school system varies through Florida... so maybe it is not the best in the states but it is certainly far from being the worst... South Florida (Miami-Dade, Broward, collier, Palm beach) would most likely fall under the category of "among the worst" specially Miami-Dade i do agree that the education in that particular county is probably among the worst in the U.S.
but points north (maybe not around orange county or hillsborough) but areas of central florida from what I have heard the education is not to bad, besides you have a great amount of Uni's there (Univesity of south florida, UF, ect)
Most likely the area that receives the most props for their school system and best education in the state north florida (around jacksonville) and then florida's panhandle (tallahasee) its probably true that area might just have the best to offer when it comes to a healthier learning environment but even still i guess not known for the best of the best.

regarding children not playing outside in the summertime.. so i suppose in the midwest and northeast the same can be said regarding the brutal winters right? I mean common there are plenty of summer camps to be involved all over florida so to say that children are not active outside simply because of the warm weather is rather dumb...

Never saw any kids playing outside in Florida anytime in the summer when I went. And I know there are kids around because I've seen them with their parents in the winter. Anyway, in the north, all the kids do is bundle up in the winter. They go outside in the snow and it never seemed to bother anyone I know growing up. It's just too plain hot in the summertime down there. Sure, they go in the pool, but how long can you possibly do that for? When I was looking at houses here in the winter when it was 30 degrees outside, I saw kids riding bikes all over.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:14 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,434,073 times
California lifestyle.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Eh Oh well, if I had the money I'd move to Cali in a heartbeat, or back to TX or FLA. It's like people are cheering for FLA's down fall, like if a CAT5 hurricaine came and killed everyone, they'd cheer. LOL. Bitter people. You guys belong in that cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City