Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: S.A. or Austin? For whatever reason.
Austin 39 34.82%
Neither 14 12.50%
San Antonio 59 52.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,461,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I'm surprised S.A. got the poll. I thought everyone loved Austin.
Texans know Austin behind the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:29 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,588,103 times
San Antonio. My favorite city in the Southwest. I love the Riverwalk, especially the areas that the tourists don't trek, and I like that it feels very Tex-Mex and Hispanic-era colonial. Very impressed.

Austin is okay, I guess. But nothing I can't find--and done millions times better--on the East Coast.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,190,696 times
I voted Austin but their both fantastic cities.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,281,963 times
Austin. Easy. Other than the Riverwalk, SA is a God Forsaken dust bowl.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,115,278 times
I think they are both great places to live and visit. God forsaken? Outside the Riverwalk/Downtown, Sea World, Six Flags, scores of world class resorts, like the new 2 billion dollar JW Marriott PGA resort, chose dustbowl San Antonio. San Antonio shares the hill country with Austin.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:50 PM

160 posts, read 499,331 times
Well I have never been to either but here are my opinons (please let me know if anything I'm saying is innaccurate btw)

The Riverwalk and Alamo are two main attractions in San Antonio. This gives the city a distinct history and interesting vibe that is unique. However, I have a feeling that this exists only in small dosages in the core of the city. And that a lot of the city is just bland sprawl. I enjoy the Hispanic influence on the city as someone who enjoys speaking Spanish and eating Mexican cuisine. However, as a non-Hispanic Caucasian I don't know if that San An is so overwhemingly Hispanic in culture that I would feel excluded.

Austin seems to be an overgrown college town that is developing into a midsized city. I have a hunch that the University makes parts of Austin more liberal than other parts of Texas. However, Austin is probably overall much more conservative than the northeast and it could get annoying with people constantly trying to show how liberal and open-minded they are. Austin is supposed to be good for live music and have a decent nightlife, which I would enjoy. It's not that far from Hill Country which I heard is pretty. It's slightly colder in the winter months than San An which is a negative in my book.

Overall I think I would pick San Antonio. It seems to be a much more unique and historic city, with an interesting Latino twist that I like.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,584,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I think they are both great places to live and visit. God forsaken? Outside the Riverwalk/Downtown, Sea World, Six Flags, scores of world class resorts, like the new 2 billion dollar JW Marriott PGA resort, chose dustbowl San Antonio. San Antonio shares the hill country with Austin.
I think people are forgetting that San Antonio does have some of that Austin scenery, it's just that Austin(the city itself) happens to be right smack in the middle of the hill country.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,772,155 times
San Antonio has a charm that I didn't see in Austin. Plus Austin seems so full of itself, so self consciously "hip", kind'a like the Portland Oregon of the South. Now I do like Portland Maine but that's another story.

But I'm not a Texian and so can only give impressions based on short stays.

But Austin does have the World's ugliest statue.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,190,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
San Antonio has a charm that I didn't see in Austin. Plus Austin seems so full of itself, so self consciously "hip", kind'a like the Portland Oregon of the South.
Not really. Austin is too laid back to be as smug as Portland IMO.

Quote:
But Austin does have the World's ugliest statue.
Which one are you referring to out of curiosity? They do have a Steve Ray Vaughn statue which I always thought was pretty cool.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,213,938 times
River walk and a Professional Sports Team, yeah San Antonio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City