Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,056,657 times

Advertisements

Should the two cities metro area combine and be called the Corridor and could it compete with the DFW.Tampa/Orlando or SF bay area in terms of tech/bio meds jobs and affordable housing .

The Texas state government predicts 3.5 million people will move to Texas in the next three years and about 50% will be in the Corridor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
No.

And I doubt 50% will be in that corridor. Never heard of that before. Houston and Dallas alone will take at least 50% (50% of the state already live in these metro areas).

Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,867,034 times
It's a rapidly growing area and I definitely think it can soon compete with DFW. I think there will need to be some major growth in San Marcos and New Braunfuls for this to happen. I certainly think it's possible.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
I could definitely see this area being considered the same CSA but not the same metro as you have in DFW and Tampa St/Pete. SA and Austin are too far apart for this to be the case.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,376,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Should the two cities metro area combine and be called the Corridor and could it compete with the DFW.Tampa/Orlando or SF bay area in terms of tech/bio meds jobs and affordable housing .

The Texas state government predicts 3.5 million people will move to Texas in the next three years and about 50% will be in the Corridor
Do you REALLY want this type of growth in the area?

The thought of an additional 1.75 million people to the region in 3 years is beyond scary. It would ruin the quality of life as you know it.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

The thought of an additional 1.75 million people to the region in 3 years is beyond scary. It would ruin the quality of life as you know it.
Exactly. Bigger isnt always better. Austin currently has a great quality of life and I think that it would be brought down if it grew too fast.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
The Dallas to Austin corridor has more activity and booming more.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,962,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Agreed. Austin has a very nice quality of life and San Antonio is a very unique and interesting city. I'm hoping both cities slow down a bit in growth, I think too much growth too quickly would hurt both cities in those aspects and make them less desirable.

Also, The region would be so ridiculously sprawled out if they became one metropolitan area like DFW. San Antonio and Austin are more than twice the distance each other as Dallas and Fort Worth. Economically, they could compete with DFW, but being such a large, spread out area, the area wouldn't run so efficiently.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times
Isn't there a saying in Ausin to "Keep Austin Weird"? If "weird" = "quirky" than the bigger Austin gets, the more like Texas Austin gets.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,254,216 times
I say that the SA-to-Austin is far too distant in order to compete with DFW as an urban corridor. Those cities are about 80 miles apart, which is still quite a distance to still be considered a multipolar region.

South Florida is a region where West Palm Beach is 60 miles from Miami, and even then, much of Palm Beach County has an identity all its own. They have separate TV and radio markets from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale for example. I thought they related with Miami the same way Riverside/San Bernardino related with Los Angeles, but that is not the case.

Also, isn't Austin mainly growing to the North, as well as SA? There is growth to the south of Austin, but I've always thought the north and western sides of Austin contained the majority of the growth.

I'll also ask, not if and when, but why? The very things that make Austin and SA such awesome cities would be ruined if you had an extra 1-2 million people flocking there. A lot of people would argue that the charm of Austin has been diluted enough as it is. A city of 700,000 is not a "college town" anymore. And the more people you have in a region, the more "Big-City" problems you have to deal with.

And I thought Austin and SA prided themselves on NOT being Dallas or Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City