Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a better looking skyline?
Seattle 173 63.37%
Vancouver 100 36.63%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 AM

44 posts, read 281,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihos501 View Post
lol although van skyline doesn't look bad at all, there was no need to bring in chicago. Van looks like NYC from far but one thing, from extremely far (60 miles), you wont see it. I'm quites sure you would see NYC's skyline from 60 miles, since you can see toronto and chicago from 70 miles. Van doesn't have the height. Van doesn't have the economy and population to support it either, however its doing really great for that much people.

Living in Seattle I can assure you that I am pretty sure you can't see Seattle's skyline from 60 miles also. The reason: We live in a city with alot of hills, valleys, ect. and our cities are not flat like Chicag or NYC.

PS: Are you sure you can the skyscrapers 60 miles from NYC, Chicago or Toronto..? It's seems hard to believe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 02:57 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboy206 View Post
Living in Seattle I can assure you that I am pretty sure you can't see Seattle's skyline from 60 miles also. The reason: We live in a city with alot of hills, valleys, ect. and our cities are not flat like Chicag or NYC.

PS: Are you sure you can the skyscrapers 60 miles from NYC, Chicago or Toronto..? It's seems hard to believe...
Can't speak for NYC or Toronto, but I believe you can see Chicago's skyline from Indiana's Warren Sand Dunes which are 50+ miles away.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:

I like 35 miles from the City and you can still see the space needle. But yes 60 miles is too far cause of all the hills in Seattle. They obstruct the view.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 PM

477 posts, read 803,022 times
Seattle vs. Vancouver~Which Skyline looks better?-bcvannight7ha.jpg

Seattle vs. Vancouver~Which Skyline looks better?-bcvancouver1c.jpg

Seattle vs. Vancouver~Which Skyline looks better?-bcvanskyline.jpg

Seattle vs. Vancouver~Which Skyline looks better?-bcvanview.jpg

Seattle vs. Vancouver~Which Skyline looks better?-bcvanflatiron2.jpg

For me it's Vancouver all the way!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Vancouver has density but it just doesn't have the height or variety that Seattle has. Vancouver has a kind of generic glass condo look across a table top with minimal peaks and valley's. Personally, I do like it - it looks modern and the glass seems to fuse with the beautiful natural environment... but... I just find Seattle has a more 'complete' and appealing skyline with a solid CBD cluster.

Personally, I find Calgary has a more impressive skyline than Vancouver and imo rivals and mostly exceeds All western Provs and States in the skyline battle - that includes S.F, Vancouver, LA and Seattle!

Last edited by fusion2; 06-02-2013 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 AM

354 posts, read 682,000 times
I really like both cities. But I do prefer Vancouver more.

Vancouverism is such an interesting phenomena, regardless of if it actually worked or not in retrospect, that made the the skyline really fascinating. I am not sure if the word pristine is a good word for Vancouver's skyline and streetscape in those area that it reminds me of some place like Yokohama than anything else (the accessibility to the water and the vista helps). Seattle has a great skyline too. Has a real commecial feel to it that has a more traditional North American feel to it.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 15,477 times
It's true that you cannot tell Vancouver by it's skyline, but Vancouver's definitely better. The complexity of Vancouver makes me smile.
For me the best skylines in the world are: (note that dis/b stands for distinguished by)
1. Dubai (dis/b cause of Burj Khalifa)
2. Hong Kong (Ultimate city skyline)
3. Toronto (dis/b cause of the CN Tower) (best in N. America)
4. Chicago (best in the US)
5. New York City (love the look of the Empire State Building, dis/b Statue Of Liberty)
6. Vancouver
7. Singapore
8. Seattle
9. Beijing
10. Frankfurt

Honoroble Mentions:

USA: LA and Hollywood
Canada: Mississauga. I don't know how I fell in love with it but I love the Marilyn Condos which I found out about when I searched "best building in the world".
Rest Of The World: Shanghai, Seoul, London (UK)

Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Vancouver has density but it just doesn't have the height or variety that Seattle has. Vancouver has a kind of generic glass condo look across a table top with minimal peaks and valley's. Personally, I do like it - it looks modern and the glass seems to fuse with the beautiful natural environment... but... I just find Seattle has a more 'complete' and appealing skyline with a solid CBD cluster.

Personally, I find Calgary has a more impressive skyline than Vancouver and imo rivals and mostly exceeds All western Provs and States in the skyline battle - that includes S.F, Vancouver, LA and Seattle!

Yes! When I first saw Calgary's skyline I was literally breathless. What's funny is you just never hear much about that city like say Vancover or Toronto. But it has a great skyline and geographically is very prett with the moutains and all right there.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,654 times
I say Seattle, Vancouver clearly wins in density but as a whole Vancouver's skyline looks a little messy and lacks variation IMO.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:

In terms of actual roads, you are correct... BUT you can actually see the Seattle skyline from various locations in the mountains (at the top of Mt. Rainier it looks tiny).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City