Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,001,554 times

Advertisements

My favorite is the Chrysler building, it is very far from me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:20 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
This is not necessarily the tallest skyscraper, nor is it limited to the state in which you currently reside; could be the state you were born in, your favorite state etc.

I was born in and my favorite state is: Pennsylvania and I will not be voting for it's tallest building; that being the Comcast Center. My favorite skyscraper in Pa. is One Liberty Place in Philadelphia. I love the building's proportions and the fact that it is the sister to a twin tower, also it is a multi-purpose complex but lacks residential units. I enjoy Liberty's use of various shades of lighter blue, giving the building an airy feel. Best of all is it's beautiful spire and antennae; reminescent and paying respect to the Chrysler Building, while adding a modern twist.

One Liberty Place has transformed Philadelphia's skyline and was the first building to break the "gentlemen's agreement" to not top out the statue of William Penn atop city hall's tower. See: www.emporis.com/application/?nav=building&id117928 PS This is a great way to learn about skyscrapers that we may not be aware of.
PPG building in Pittsburgh:

Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,539,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
The Brooks Tower in Denver. Not the tallest by far; it's one of my favorites because it was (as far as I can remember) the only residential highrise in Denver when I was growing up. A high-falootin' rich relative lived there & being a little kid from the working class neighborhoods, I thought that building was what all of NY must be like! When we would stand near the windows, my brother & I would try to pick out our neighborhood....we never even came close!
What a great story, a vivid memory. I too, grew up poor and we would go to Wilkes-Barre, Pa to sneak in stairwells and go to the upper floors of the tallest buildings.

I found a Wikipedia link for "your tower"....cool building.... Brooks Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,672,912 times
Default Mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The Flat Iron Building in NYC is my favorite building in the world.
I grew up near it, but didn't know until I was a teenager that my great-grandfather had been a foreman working on it. He fell and was crippled for the rest of his life. My family never talked about it. My grandmother told me about it one day when we were walking past it.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
PPG building in Pittsburgh:
I love that building also and a few others in Pittsburgh ...the "silver and black stripped" one that is stepped into three towers.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 PM

804 posts, read 2,403,234 times
My favorite in all of California is the Ritz Carlton in downtown Los Angeles

Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
My favorite in all of California is the Ritz Carlton in downtown Los Angeles

I really like the different shades of blue; gives a light, airy "feeling" to the tower, and blends in well with the sky.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 PM

28 posts, read 85,252 times
my favorite is the Williams Tower in Houston
Williams Tower - Twilight on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/baldheretic/685068291/ - broken link)

Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,832,385 times
There is also two more buildings in Boston that I like

101 Huntington Avenue

Exchange Place

It reminds me of the Hancock Tower

Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times
My favorite skyscraper in Philly is the Cira Centre by 30th Street Station. I like its design and the LEED lights that allow for different color schemes and designs for different occassions

http://www.dvewc.org/awards/achievement/2006/awards2006_files/CiraCentre96dpi.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City