Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Austin seems pretty cool - the images from the water are kind of interesting

and Especially Chicago - I like the buildings in Chicago the best and my "preferred" skyline to all others as well
I like Philadelphia's at night and in the morning when it can be foggy/misty type of weather maybe with rain.
But when its clear as day, it kind of seems like there's a bit of divide between the new buildings and the old ones. I know many will disagree, but I actually do like the Comcast Center building more than the older ones. And the American Commerce Center, will be a good addition despite the bottom half being so bulky. That's something (in my opinion) that I think Philadelphia needs more of to mesh with the architecture. I think by 2015, Philadelphia (with the new projects) will have a better skyline architecturally (in my opinion of course). But seeing it in person, the divide between the older architecture and newer architecture seemed very evident to the bare eye in the skyline. I hope that can change though to a more mixed/integrated look.

Chicago for some reason has a blend of old and new Architecture, but for some reason unlike New York City, its architecture from panoramic shots looks new and glassy more than old. Something I really enjoy about it. I think its the placement of new buildings being taller than the older ones and it having a more visual prominence. That's honestly what I hope Philadelphia would do too, and by all these newer and taller projects, it seems to be following that same model.

San Francisco is mehh, they need something to revitalize that look, they have a good waterfront but they don't take advantage of it to the best capability (in my opinion). Boston has a nice waterfront but in person and being in downtown, its nothing to enjoy for those that like height. They had a nice building proposed but as always the FAA butchered yet another genius plan.
Houston (in my opinion), I agree with you, it has a very generic look, they need more signature architectural designs that scream uniqueness not generic things that can be found in many other places, Houston really lacks architectural signatures, which is seeing some changes though, they've got some nice projects that look better than those from the past. I'm glad, they need it.

Yeah Austin has some nice buildings coming in, its had some dramatical changes. They just approved construction next year to expand downtown and make it double the size it is now, more new buildings will be added rapidly in the coming years.

And also yeah I agree with you on Chicago also, its my favorite skyline in terms of architecture. It also has the size and height that I like also. Even though factually its argued that New York City does indeed have the more impressive and "better" skyline, its something I just don't prefer over Chicago. But yeah, lol just preference though, everybody's got one. But factually New York City has the upper hand either way.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No, I understand what you are saying and appreciate that. I dont think so about Houston though. I hear it non stop about multiple skylines. The truth is most major cities have multiple skylines. Should Houston get extra credit because its pancake flat and on a clear day you can see them in the distance? Dallas has it, Atlanta has it, LA certainly does, Miami....SF. Most of those other skylines are just urban nodes with suburban type office park development.
Yes, all the cities have them.... and I would also include them as skylines. They are skylines regardless of how you want to place them. Houston just has more of them outside of downtown. Especially when Houston has a building well outside of its downtown, called the Williams Tower, standing at 900+ ft. You cannot overlook something like that and not call it a skyline. It is a skyline.... plain and simple.

Quote:
DT LA is larger and more dense than Houston. Not as tall on average, but much more in terms of older stock, which creates density.
The density is not by much.... but other than being larger no Houston's is a bit larger. Yes, downtown LA may be larger, but not the skyline itself. I'm not speaking about the small buildings that fill up the open parking gaps. I'm speaking about the buildings. Houston has more of them in the downtown.

Quote:
I wouldnt quarrel with the rankings to much, I understand how they are derived. Houston is tall for sure.
Than why do you quarrel with the fact that Houston's downtown skyline is slightly larger?

Quote:
Yes, that was my point. I think the best urbanized cities are NYC, SF, then Chicago based on the criteria I mentioned.
I agree about LA probably not fitting that criteria yet. I still dont buy Houstons DT being larger than LA though. Houston has more and taller modern building, but not overall. LA has a huge stock of older buildings, that Houston does not. And having spent significant time in both downtowns I'd say they are comparable overall.
What I dont accept in any way is one of the Houston boosters saying "there's no comparison" between the two.........
Yes, I agree with what you say. LA has a more dense/urbanized downtown with more "stocks of older buildings". I'm speaking about buildings hear, particularly with buildings standing at 500' or taller. Houston has more.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Yeah Austin has some nice buildings coming in, its had some dramatical changes. They just approved construction next year to expand downtown and make it double the size it is now, more new buildings will be added rapidly in the coming years.
Have you seen the pictures of what Austin is projected to look like in the future? it's a drawn up sketch with downtown connected to Rainey St and west side of downtown where the Seaholm stands.

You can find it here. City of Austin - Downtown Austin Plan

It's the Draft Core/Waterfront District Plan link. It's not entirely accurate as it doesn't list the tall buildings that will be built on the Greenwater Treatment Plant but it gives you a rough idea at how dense it might look.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has more multiple skylines than all of those others cities you listed & having a pancake flat geography has absolutely nothing to do with it. Chicago & Miami are just as flat.
No it doesnt have more than LA. Pancake flat geography does help, because you can see everything. Several of LA's are over mountains, you can never see them in context of downtown or Wilshire or Century City. You are right about Chicago and Miami, thats why I rate them higher than Houston, you see more towers in those two than you do in Houston. sorry to say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Take Greenway Plaza for example, I'd put it up against Downtown Fort Worth's skyline in terms of height any day of the week & its not even one of Houston's "main" skylines per se.
Greenway plaza is nothing but a handfull of midrises on the freeway, its not comparable.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No it doesnt have more than LA. Pancake flat geography does help, because you can see everything. Several of LA's are over mountains, you can never see them in context of downtown or Wilshire or Century City. You are right about Chicago and Miami, thats why I rate them higher than Houston, you see more towers in those two than you do in Houston. sorry to say.....

Greenway plaza is nothing but a handfull of midrises on the freeway, its not comparable.
So you're calling a large cluster of 400+ foot tall buildings mid rises? You obviously know nothing about how buildings are rated!

Mid rise is technically a building between 5-10 floors.

Mid-rise - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

This is a mid rise
http://www.lessardgroup.com/data/images/res_mid.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
How about this project

http://www.som.com/resources/category/5/0/6/8/2/4/images/001_21628245.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Nice! Where is it?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
Oh my bad.

Oakland, CA is where the project is going to be.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Oh my bad.

Oakland, CA is where the project is going to be.
I'd love to see this happen for Oakland. They don't have anything even remotely as tall as this in their skyline.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 PM

180 posts, read 321,858 times
My observations based on # of tall buildings and how compact the downtown is. A compact downtown looks more impressive than a spread out downtown (like Atlanta).

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. Miami
6. Houston
7. Honolulu
8. Los Angeles
9. Atlanta
10. Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City