Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times

Advertisements

Miami is really cool, and it's a world class city regardless of what all the people say.

But Los Angeles I like more by a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,764,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
Miami is really cool, and it's a world class city regardless of what all the people say.

But Los Angeles I like more by a little.
Miami is a mostly nice city, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it world class. Miami, culturally and by influence, cannot compare to the likes of NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Houston, etc.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Miami is a mostly nice city, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it world class. Miami, culturally and by influence, cannot compare to the likes of NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Houston, etc.
I see what you are saying. Ber careful people here will jump on you for saying Houston, without understanding how it is connected to the Middle East due to Oil and Asia/Latin America for trade. It's another thing about this site.

I think Miami appeals a lot to Latin American culture, I think of it as a melting pot for their cultures to come together in one place. Even reflected by their media and things like that.

Perhaps I am not fully grasping what you meant though.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,764,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
I see what you are saying. Ber careful people here will jump on you for saying Houston, without understanding how it is connected to the Middle East due to Oil and Asia/Latin America for trade. It's another thing about this site.

I think Miami appeals a lot to Latin American culture, I think of it as a melting pot for their cultures to come together in one place. Even reflected by their media and things like that.

Perhaps I am not fully grasping what you meant though.
Well I didn't mean cultural as in ethnic diversity. But rather cultural trends, which most seem to be started in LA and commercialized in NY.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Quote:
Miami is a Beta world city, it's ranked right up there with Houston in MANY, MANY, world city research websites, and rankings. It's definitely a world city.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:51 AM

179 posts, read 402,968 times
LA BY FARRRRRR.

Why would you live in Miami if you could have everything you want and more in LA??
This isn't even a competition.

Plus Miami gets hit by hurricanes all the time. LA's weather is so much better. And major earthquakes don't happen often.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,954,302 times
Here, let me try you logic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
LA BY FARRRRRR.
MIAMI BY FARRRRR

Quote:
Why would you live in Miami if you could have everything you want and more in LA??
No not really. LA doesn't have everything everyone wants and more. Does LA have warm enough water to swim in at it's "beaches"?? Does LA have a true tropical climate where it actually rains and thunderstorms which some people actually prefer?? Does LA have an equivalent all night party scene of Miami outside of private clubs for celebrities and Hollywood elite?? I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Quote:
This isn't even a competition.
Uh... Yes it is. This is the City vs. City thread afterall.

Quote:
Plus Miami gets hit by hurricanes all the time. LA's weather is so much better. And major earthquakes don't happen often.
When was the last time a major Hurricane roughed up Miami... hmm... Andrew in '92! Katrina and all the others have been small potatoes in comparison. Even Andrew passed mainly to the south reeking havoc on Homestead. I do agree that many people consider LA to have superior weather, but it in no way is a fact that LA has better weather. I would prefer a hybrid of the 2 weathers if possible but that ain't gonna happen.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 AM

179 posts, read 402,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Here, let me try you logic:

MIAMI BY FARRRRR

No not really. LA doesn't have everything everyone wants and more. Does LA have warm enough water to swim in at it's "beaches"?? Does LA have a true tropical climate where it actually rains and thunderstorms which some people actually prefer?? Does LA have an equivalent all night party scene of Miami outside of private clubs for celebrities and Hollywood elite?? I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Uh... Yes it is. This is the City vs. City thread afterall.

When was the last time a major Hurricane roughed up Miami... hmm... Andrew in '92! Katrina and all the others have been small potatoes in comparison. Even Andrew passed mainly to the south reeking havoc on Homestead. I do agree that many people consider LA to have superior weather, but it in no way is a fact that LA has better weather. I would prefer a hybrid of the 2 weathers if possible but that ain't gonna happen.
You can disagree with me but that isn't going to change the fact that I prefer LA BY FAR to Miami. I just really don't like Miami.
And I don't like rain so obviously LA has better weather to me.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,954,302 times
Quote:
You can disagree with me but that isn't going to change the fact that I prefer LA BY FAR to Miami. I just really don't like Miami.
And I don't like rain so obviously LA has better weather to me.
That's fine we can agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love LA too. I just think Miami has some major perks as well that we slightly diminished by your post that, to be honest, didn't come across as an opinion.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,017,616 times
Quote:
NYC and LA is a given, Chicago for economy and muesums and DC is obvious. But Houston? Houston and Miami are on the same level there. In no way besdies for Oil does Houston surpass Miami.

Quote:
Well I didn't mean cultural as in ethnic diversity. But rather cultural trends, which most seem to be started in LA and commercialized in NY.
Cultural trends and Houston is above Miami? Miami is the media and financial capital of Latin America. Miami is home to the largest tv studios of all the major latin american television networks. Miami is one of the largest fashsion centers in the world. Also is a large music center. When is the last type you saw a movie based in Houston? Cultural trends was the wrong side to take if you think Houston surpasses Miami in global influence. If we are talking about cultural trends Houston can compare with Miami.

Quote:
LA BY FARRRRRR.

The last time Miami had a direct hit by a major hurricane was in 1926. Small hurricanes dont do much. CAT 1-2 hurricane might cause some power problems and trees down but besides for that its not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City