Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times

Advertisements

inspired by another thread, no poll though cause we don't wanna leave anyone out...
when I think of culture, you think of the way people do stuff everyday or the content of the city like art or architecture...a seperate Identity, even if it is a stereotype....
Thats fine if you have a seperate definition...but Among the strongest would say:
California
Texas
Tennessee
Hawaii
and
Alaska

This doesn't have to do with any one individual city...

have at it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
inspired by another thread, no poll though cause we don't wanna leave anyone out...
when I think of culture, you think of the way people do stuff everyday or the content of the city like art or architecture...a seperate Identity, even if it is a stereotype....
Thats fine if you have a seperate definition...but Among the strongest would say:
California
Texas
Tennessee
Hawaii
and
Alaska

This doesn't have to do with any one individual city...

have at it...
I agree with all of those. I would maybe add Louisiana and Utah.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:27 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Oh I think Texas wins this one. They really celebrate their culture and preserve it there from what I've seen when I go down there. I think that is a good thing.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:02 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
The more I think about it, the more I think Utah should take the prize. I mean, the states already listed do have strong cultures, but each of those states has a variety of cultures. El Paso has a different culture from Houston. Memphis has a different culture from Knoxville. L.A. has a different culture from S.F. and so on.

But Utah is completely different. In no other state does 80% of the population belong to one church or vote so heavily for one political party (in Utah's case, Republican). For years Utah was so isolated, Utah's culture grew out of the Mormon church. Even though SLC is only half Mormon anymore, the rest of Utah is still overwhelmingly Mormon. The traditions, laws, even conversations in Utah are still closely tied to that one religion.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Texas!

We always get bashed about having "pride" in our state and it seems no matter where you go in Texas, you'll always see a texas flag.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:19 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
I lived in Texas for a little while, and found that while it had it quirks, it didn't seem culturally different than other places in the south or plains. The biggest difference was the attitude the natives had towards their state (which I'll never understand). Attitude and culture can be, but not always, two separate things.
Oddly, no state in New England was mentioned. It's the most culturally distinct region I've been to. They also try very hard, almost to a fault, to keep it that way.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
I look at this question in a different way. When you say "strongest", I view the question as being "which state's culture had the biggest influence on the United States"? I'm biased, but to me, that state is Pennsylvania. If you scoff at that, think about this way: in the colonial United States, there were 3 distinct culture areas, New England, the Mid-Atlantic (PA/NJ/DE), and the South. (Not coincidentally, 3 of the 4 most important original states were Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with New York being the 4th state.) New England and the South are still considered to be very distinct cultural regions but the Mid-Atlantic is not. Why is that? It's because the Mid-Atlantic culture spread to the rest of the U.S. (as people from the Mid-Atlantic spread to the rest of the U.S.), or at least the non-Latino-influenced portions of the U.S.! In particular, the Midwest has strong cultural similarities to the Mid-Atlantic, especially Pennsylvania. The major European immigrant groups in Pennsylvania, especially the Germans and to a lesser degree groups from eastern Europe, were also the major immigrant groups in many other states besides New England, the South, and the Southwest.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I look at this question in a different way. When you say "strongest", I view the question as being "which state's culture had the biggest influence on the United States"? I'm biased, but to me, that state is Pennsylvania. If you scoff at that, think about this way: in the colonial United States, there were 3 distinct culture areas, New England, the Mid-Atlantic (PA/NJ/DE), and the South. (Not coincidentally, 3 of the 4 most important original states were Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with New York being the 4th state.) New England and the South are still considered to be very distinct cultural regions but the Mid-Atlantic is not. Why is that? It's because the Mid-Atlantic culture spread to the rest of the U.S. (as people from the Mid-Atlantic spread to the rest of the U.S.), or at least the non-Latino-influenced portions of the U.S.! In particular, the Midwest has strong cultural similarities to the Mid-Atlantic, especially Pennsylvania. The major European immigrant groups in Pennsylvania, especially the Germans and to a lesser degree groups from eastern Europe, were also the major immigrant groups in many other states besides New England, the South, and the Southwest.
While much of culture did spring from the first states, it also changed...Georgia probably had more influence on the way the southern states developed then the Northern states. What is more so, some states are totally off US Culture wise like Hawaii and Alaska, which is why they have strong cultures because of their long term isolation, they have only been in the union what? 60 years? The cultural diffusion did take place, don't get me wrong but the cultures in different areas might have only absorbed part of the culture or later modified it... Pennsylvania doesn't particularly stick out in my mind but...I have no right to tell you what to think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I lived in Texas for a little while, and found that while it had it quirks, it didn't seem culturally different than other places in the south or plains. The biggest difference was the attitude the natives had towards their state (which I'll never understand). Attitude and culture can be, but not always, two separate things.
Oddly, no state in New England was mentioned. It's the most culturally distinct region I've been to. They also try very hard, almost to a fault, to keep it that way.
To each his own... New England is not a state, and as strong as it's culture might be no one state sticks out in my mind...It sort of like Nominating the South, which in My opinion has a stronger culture then all of the US...but the South is not a state...and even though you can pin point a couple of states, its not accurate because the whole south shares similar traditions...not just one state...sort of like the Northeast...you get what I'm saying...I'm not sure who to word stuff sometimes...lol

Old 02-17-2008, 11:31 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
California
Texas
Tennessee
Hawaii
and
Alaska
The three most unique states are California, Texas, and Ohio in that order.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM

why Ohio? I haven't heard much of it...Please explain, I wanna to know if there is something worth seeing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City