Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is better??
Dallas Metro 32 28.83%
Philadelphia Metro 53 47.75%
Denver Metro 26 23.42%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Lets not get carried away here.First let me say that Dallas and Denver are obviously both great areas although I tend to think Dallas constituents along with Houston and Atl get carried with their place, tend to believe they are more important than they actually are concerning the big picture.
As if you don't do the same thing when it comes to Philadelphia. But thank you so much for putting us in our "place"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So we are judging the cities by how Mexican they are. Sounds like Dallas
I said TEX-Mex not Mexican..lol

BTW JerryJones is from Arkansas and most here still consider him a rude, greedy hillbilly.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:05 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Anyone I've known to move to Denver or Dallas has loved it and the people I know who have moved to Philly haven't really liked it and its actually quite funny but all have complained how unattractive the people are there lol.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
rainrock - you need to stop guy. we all live in philly too

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Anyone I've known to move to Denver or Dallas has loved it and the people I know who have moved to Philly haven't really liked it and its actually quite funny but all have complained how unattractive the people are there lol.

gotta be deep south & north philly maybe camden?

its a leper colony over there

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
I voted for Denver (no offense Dallas). It's a beautiful city that doesn't seem to get enough credit on the national thread.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
I have been to all three and I would give Quality of Life to Denver because of it's setting, weather and being less of a rat race. (Denver isn't actually in the same class as the other two) In all other areas I have to say Philly because of it's culture and history and the depth of choices in lifestyle. Dallas beats Houston imo but it's still just an overgrown small town and too one dimensional. (BTW it may be coincidence but I have never had a really spectacular meal in Dallas)

Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Wow, considering how huge DFW is, that's the first time I've heard somebody call it an overgrown "small" town. I used to think Dallas beats Houston. Now I'm not so sure that's true. I agree though with Denver on the QOL.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Wow, considering how huge DFW is, that's the first time I've heard somebody call it an overgrown "small" town. I used to think Dallas beats Houston. Now I'm not so sure that's true. I agree though with Denver on the QOL.
It's nothing overtly intending to disparage Sun Belt cities, but the model of development in the Sun Belt is -- typically -- very different from cities in the Midwest and Northeast. So, as someone who is used to a city structure of a relatively small urban core (for example, Dallas has 1.2 million people and a land area of 385 sq. miles, whereas Philadelphia's 1.4 million people are contained in 135 sq. miles), Sun Belt cities that typically have annexed a large area containing neighborhoods that are much more suburban in character appear much less urban overall. Thus, it may be hyperbole to call Dallas an "overgrown small town," but it does allude to the point that more historical cities like Philadelphia have not annexed adjacent land for a over a century are more uniformly urban in character.

Again, not making any judgements calls in saying this is good or bad, but it is important to acknowledge the different models of newer cities vs. older cities insofar as it may help to better understand the perspective of someone accustomed to an "old school" model for a city.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-16-2009 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 12:54 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It's nothing overtly intending to disparage Sun Belt cities, but the model of development in the Sun Belt is -- typically -- very different from cities in the Midwest and Northeast. So, as someone who is used to a city structure of a relatively small urban core (for example, Dallas has 1.2 million people and a land area of 385 sq. miles, whereas Philadelphia's 1.4 million people are contained in 135 sq. miles), Sun Belt cities that typically have annexed a large area containing neighborhoods that are much more suburban in character appear much less urban overall. Thus, it may be hyperbole to call Dallas an "overgrown small town," but it does allude to the point that more historical cities like Philadelphia have not annexed adjacent land for a over a century are more uniformly urban in character.
Oh, jealousy. Or elitism. I get it. Sardines either jealous of those with elbow room AND big city amenities or thinking being a sardine somehow makes them superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City