Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better shopping?
White Plans, NY 22 30.14%
Chicago 51 69.86%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Biglake, White Plains with median price of a house pegged at 800K and easy access to New York is well beyond the reach of any Midwestern hick living in Chicago. If I was living in White Plains I would be proud.
I do not even need to classify you, you already classified as a Midwesterner. That's bad enough.

Ya there is absolutely no high end real estate in Chicago? If you really believe that than you have not traveled beyond your own city limits too often. That is WRONG just like you said Manhattan was more expensive than Aspen..and other total lies..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 AM

318 posts, read 320,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Ya there is absolutely no high end real estate in Chicago? If you really believe that than you have not traveled beyond your own city limits too often. That is WRONG just like you said Manhattan was more expensive than Aspen..and other total lies..
Listen kid, of course there is expensive real estate in Chicago proper however median price of a house is higher in White Plains than in Chicago.
And yes, square foot to square foot Manhattan is the most expensive real estate in the US and possibly in the world. If you think Aspen even approaches Manhattan's prices you are delusional.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Listen kid, of course there is expesnive real estate in Chicago proper however median price of house is higher in White Plains than In Chicago.
And yes, square foot to square foot Manhattan is the most expensive real estate in the US and possibly in the world. If you think Aspen even approaches Manhattan's prices you are delusional. There areas in the Bronx that are more expensive than Aspen. Check Riverdale.

I just posted the last Forbes list showing Aspen as over 6 million. and as someone who knows that even Tribecca averages are around 3!/2 million..Prove to me that New york ANYWHERE is higher than that..Delusional I think not..Price per square foot as I have said many times is higher in NYC than Aspen..I agree to that..but not by much.toe toe selling prices..averages Aspen wins and you know it sp4..BTW skippy I'm not a kid

Last edited by Scott5280; 08-14-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Chicago has some great high end real estate,just because people don't pay the same price per square foot there..makes it no less spectacular in many locations..example Miracle Mile

Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 PM

318 posts, read 320,740 times
Quote:
Chicago has some great high end real estate,just because people don't pay the same price per square foot there..makes it no less spectacular in many locations..example Miracle Mile
Same can be said about almost any place in the world, high end real estate however is measured in average price per foot and in this aspect Chicago is less expensive than both Manhattan and White Plains.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
What I'm shocked at are the fairly large number of people that actually think that White Plains has better shopping than a major city like Chicago! It has to be either NY area homers, people with some sort of agenda or those that are just clueless.

Unbelievable. It's a suburb with a nice mall. Get a clue people.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Biglake, White Plains with median price of a house pegged at 800K and easy access to New York is well beyond the reach of any Midwestern hick living in Chicago. If I was living in White Plains I would be proud.
I do not even need to classify you, you already classified as a Midwesterner. That's bad enough.
Thanks for your response thefinalcutdementoradvoctuswhiteplainssuaruseuros1 . I appreciate your reply.

Have fun at the petting zoo this weekend!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Manhattan is obviously extremely expensive per square foot. So is Boston, San Francisco, DC and Los Angeles, among others. However it's delusional to think that if a city has low prices per square foot, then it must not have money. Look at cities like Dallas and Houston. They're both dirt cheap, yet they're both home to very, very wealthy oil tycoons. Chicago is one of the most important financial centers on the planet. It's got more money than most cities. Stop acting as if Chicago is some ol' cowtown out in the MidWest, you're sounding like a fool.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
There is also little something called paranoia which can make you think that everyone having an opinion different than yours must be a part of conspiracy or better yet one and the same person.

There are a lot paranoias in Chicago like "anti-Chicago biased New York based media" and "everything that is important happens in Chicago or because of Chicago".

According to Chicagoans Chicago leads the way and provides a example for the rest of the world. Having spent some time in Chicago I can't believe anyone would like to replicate the horrors of the south- and west side social disasters, terrible public schools, high crime, rampant corruption and obsolete political system or inadequate public transportation. Of course, Chicagoans will disagree trying to prove that Chicago excelles in all those areas
I've said this before, but nothing has ever changed my view. I notice that almost all of the comments like those above are from people who are not from Chicago or lived here a long time. Most of them have a stick up their butts about the city in the first place.

People from Chicago tend to LOVE their city and have a lot of civic pride, and I think that's where people are midreading everything. Just because someone sticks up for the city and is proud, doesn't instantly mean that they're saying they're better than everyone else. It has nothing to do with anyone else. I tend to notice that Chicago more than other places DOESN'T try to compare or rival anyone else. Chicago is concerned with Chicago. They're not trying to be anyone else or copy other places. I always laugh when people make these comments.....

Old 08-14-2009, 12:18 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
I just posted the last Forbes list showing Aspen as over 6 million. and as someone who knows that even Tribecca averages are around 3!/2 million..Prove to me that New york ANYWHERE is higher than that..Delusional I think not..Price per square foot as I have said many times is higher in NYC than Aspen..I agree to that..but not by much.toe toe selling prices..averages Aspen wins and you know it sp4..BTW skippy I'm not a kid
our little friend thefinalcutdementor has a little problem with facts. To him, they're some sort of abstraction or nuisance -- unless of course he can manipulate them to directly correlate with his singular and insulated point of view. You may want to save your energy.

In fairness though, the sample sizes of Aspen versus Manhattan are pretty different, to say the least.

Last edited by BigLake; 08-14-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City