Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times

Advertisements

Orlando FL is Overated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Overrated: NYC.... Manhattan is cool but most people think that's all NYC consists of...Add in the other boroughs and NYC is just a regular city.....

Las Vegas: People think that Vegas is the "party capital"....LOL...it's cool for gambling and Vegas has nice hotels but it's only one strip of partying.

Miami: Overrated indeed...would never want to go there again...nothing but trash on the beaches and no one speaks English

Old 08-16-2009, 11:47 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
NYC is way overated

Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
I second Orlando. garrish, gaudy, and a major change for the worse in 20 years.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I second Orlando. garrish, gaudy, and a major change for the worse in 20 years.
There are two Orlando's. The gaudy, garrish one and the REAL one.

It is obvious you have never stepped foot in the City of Orlando by this, and many past posts.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
NYC is way overated

Sorry, but the top 5 cities in the world cannot be over-rated. I guess 5th avenue is over-rated too, same with 34th st and Central park. Anyway, you're one of them on the list who has never been to NYC anyway.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:55 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Sorry, but the top 5 cities in the world cannot be over-rated. I guess 5th avenue is over-rated too, same with 34th st and Central park. Anyway, you're one of them on the list who has never been to NYC anyway.
I really don't get this New York is overrated thing. What more do these people want from a city. It is a world class city on the same level with Paris, London and a select few. It a world leader in Business, culture, fashion just to mention a few. It is a cosmopolitan vibrant city. Take a look at the rest of American Cities. A yuppie area with nice restaurants and a new ballpark and not much else. Maybe ten blocks that are vibrant and hip and the rest of the city not much else. Manhattan goes on for blocks and blocks even miles of a dense vibrant urban environment. It is many many stages ahead of any American city. Nothing is close.

Maybe New York should build a giant water park in the middle of central park. Maybe this will help. Or even better a Walmart super center in the center of Manhattan. I think this will bring it up to speed with many Americans. Then it wouldn't be overrated anymore.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 PM

505 posts, read 1,385,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I really don't get this New York is overrated thing. What more do these people want from a city. It is a world class city of the same level with Paris, London and a select few. It a world leader in Business, culture, fashion just to mention a few. It is a cosmopolitan vibrant city. Take a look at the rest of American Cities. A yuppie area with nice restaurants and a new ballpark and not much else. Maybe ten blocks that are vibrant and hip and the rest of the city not much else. Manhattan goes on for blocks and blocks even miles of a dense vibrant urban environment. It is many many stages ahead of any American city. Nothing is close.

Maybe New York should build a giant water park in the middle of central park. Maybe this will help. Or even better a Walmart super center in the center of Manhattan. I think this will bring it up to speed with many Americans. Then it wouldn't be overrated anymore.
I think people say New York is overrated partially because we are constantly exposed to New York in the media. Its not because people wish it had something more, at least for me.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,088 times
New York has earned this spot. Take a look at the rest of post WW2 urban American. For the most part what remains is tourist areas, pockets of yuppies, college students or redevelopment. The majority of business, retail, movie theaters, office space, professional class, etc. has moved to the suburbs or outlying areas of the city. Not New York, it has held together unlike any American city. It's city center is intact, powerful and relevant. All of the above mentioned amenities still exist throughout Manhattan just like pre WW2.
New York is the exception to the rule.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
When has that ever stopped anyone here from having strong opinions about certain cities, yourself included?

Anyway, I think on these kinds of threads people should give a brief summary of why they think somewhere is overrated or underrated. I also think people should have actually been to the place, or better yet live/lived there, but like I said that doesn't always happen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City