Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,654,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Lacking? St Louis was ranked the second most dangerous city in America. St. Louis - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes
You take everything you read at face value? Must be your southern ignorance. Anyone with a brain knows those stupid rankings are complete bogus and based on faulty methodology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM

254 posts, read 419,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
You take everything you read at face value? Must be your southern ignorance. Anyone with a brain knows those stupid rankings are complete bogus and based on faulty methodology.
Southern ignorance? I hate when people assume I'm from the South. I was born in Pennsylvania and now I live down here.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 AM

396 posts, read 653,318 times
Quote:
Lacking? St Louis was ranked the second most dangerous city in America. St. Louis - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes
Its been covered a lot on here - St. Louis metro (and yes you have to use metro stats when looking at crime, because it is a closer apples to apples comparison) does not rank that high with a violent crime index number of 20.33 Atlanta is worse with a violent crime ranking of 22.25 Atlanta is a more dangerous place than St. Louis http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2012...teRankings.pdf

Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 AM

254 posts, read 419,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
Its been covered a lot on here - St. Louis metro (and yes you have to use metro stats when looking at crime, because it is a closer apples to apples comparison) does not rank that high with a violent crime index number of 20.33 Atlanta is worse with a violent crime ranking of 22.25 Atlanta is a more dangerous place than St. Louis http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2012...teRankings.pdf
Yet Atlanta isn't the most dangerous city in the country, which the Midwest gladly has (Flint, Michigan.) Neither is it as disfunctional as Detroit. Do you know the response time for police on Detroit?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 AM

396 posts, read 653,318 times
Quote:
Yet Atlanta isn't the most dangerous city in the country, which the Midwest gladly has (Flint, Michigan.) Neither is it as disfunctional as Detroit. Do you know the response time for police on Detroit?
True - Detroit has terrible problems that it is dealing with - Also true - 7 southern cities in the top 10 most dangerous metros - 2 Midwest - 1 west

Old 10-29-2013, 10:32 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
You've answered your own question. The Midwest is not a monolith in this regard. I've never gone outside of Chicagoland to St. Louis for Chicago style pizza, for instance. St. Louis does their own St. Louis style; and they do it damn well. I certainly wouldn't go to Kansas City for hot dogs. That's not to say that KC doesn't do hot dogs well. I'd go looking for the best BBQ in the city. Milwaukee is brat country, etc.

I wonder if others get the impression that the South only does fried chicken and collards.
I think there's a large repertoire of foods that are associated with a more general idea of the south such as collard greens, grits, fried chicken, country ham, okra, fried green tomatoes, hushpuppies, biscuits, cornbread, sweet tea, pecan pies, mashed potatoes, country gravy, etc. which aren't really big in every part of the South, but are more attached to a general idea of what Southern cuisine is. It seems like Midwestern dishes are often much more regional in terms of being specific to a city and its metro (St. Louis style pizza, Chicago dog, Cincinnati chili, etc.) or being also identifiably from another culture (brat country). So I guess that's pretty accurate, yes? I think an exception might be jello salad?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 AM

320 posts, read 578,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
That's a good point, because black people in the Midwest sound SO different than those in the South!
Overall black folk in the Midwest do sound different than black folk Down South. Yes...many of the elders that migrated there from the South still sound Southern.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Well if that's true, don't forget the LIGHT BULB! Kinda a big deal...I didn't know he was from Ohio though, and actually thought he was from New Jersey, but maybe that's just where his office/lab was near Princeton......Clearly I am not a history buff.
He's from Milan.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Thomas Edison gets credit for an invention he never invented. He invented the light bulb just like George Washington chopped down the cherry tree. Edison was a dishonest thief who took credit for things he never invented. Many inventions credited to Edison were actually ideas and inventions of Nikola Tesla. Edison sued Granville Woods, a African American from Columbus, Ohio, twice and lost twice over a telegraphony invention.
Too bad for Tesla, then? And what is your point... that another Ohioan invented something instead? Thanks, I guess?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Actually, you did since the point seemed to be that music in the Midwest all basically came from the South. If your point stands that all things are built upon something else, then the South can also not take any credit for its music, since it was also influenced by something that already existed as well. Therefore, neither region has never invented anything, whether it be music or otherwise.

Sorry. You can't have it both ways where the Midwest's culture comes from somewhere else, but the South's magically existed within a vacuum.
That has never been my point and is the worst kind of logic you could come up with. But you have fun with that. My words speak for themselves; these asinine implications you're making aren't even worth responding to.

Again, the Midwest can legitimately take credit for their role in the musical evolution of foundational Southern genres.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-29-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City