Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 AM

19 posts, read 41,974 times

Advertisements

I think Philadelphia is really nice. I love history and museums so Philadelphia offers more of the things I like, but San Francisco is nice also and I enjoyed visiting.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:11 PM

358 posts, read 754,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
yes, one of rapunzel's hairs.
You've never even been to Philadelphia have you?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 PM

358 posts, read 754,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The World's Happiest Cities,2009
1 Rio de Janeiro
2 Sydney
3 Barcelona
4 Amsterdam
5 Melbourne
6 Madrid
7 San Francisco
8 Rome
9 Paris
10 Buenos Aires

The World's Happiest Cities - Forbes.com

No offense, but these are usually the kinds of cities SF is most compared to.
Yup, because we all know that once your city appears on a Forbes list, it must be true, right?

C'mon, SF is already winning this poll, why would you post a nonsense list to sell your point?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
You've never even been to Philadelphia have you?
But that's just it.

I have been. Its nice enough.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Yup, because we all know that once your city appears on a Forbes list, it must be true, right?

C'mon, SF is already winning this poll, why would you post a nonsense list to sell your point?
Actually Forbes took it from Anholt/Brand Index.

Also,
San Francisco is always compared to the likes of Paris, Sydney, Rome etc. I could find poll after poll and survey after survey confirming that.

Philadelphia is nice. Don't get me wrong.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.starks View Post
you wan't a cookie?
If my post lends perspective to this thread--then maybe I would like a cookie. I'm sure Philly has very good bakers that make awesome cookies.

Quote:
we've the world's greatest city and hour and a 1/2 north.
I only need to step outside and enjoy a climate, a natural setting, a cosmpolitanism, a worldliness that is on par with anywhere.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:20 PM

I mean, we've been so caught up in rainrock's obsession with CSAs that we've forgetten-hello? SF is a real world class city.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 PM

58 posts, read 123,124 times
Quote:
I only need to step outside and enjoy a climate, a natural setting, a cosmpolitanism, a worldliness that is on par with anywhere.
can't argue that. i enjoyed my visit there. the natural setting is definitely a bonus. it has some grittiness similar to Philly but also has a lot of scenic views
and well maintained neighborhoods.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.starks View Post
can't argue that. i enjoyed my visit there. the natural setting is definitely a bonus.
And Philadelphia is an awesome city with every imaginable amenity.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol @ oakland not being part of the bay area...
kind of like driving over the brooklyn bridge, brooklyn really should not be part of nyc.
Damn I really hate that I booked my plane ticket next Tuesday back into Oakland, because it is so far away...
Well he's right with his anology BECAUSE you can walk to TRENTON from Phildalphia in 10 minutes or less because just like Oakland it's right ACCROSS the bridge...

As far as I've known Trenton was always considered apart of the Philly metro just like Camdem, Cherry Hill, even Willloboro NJ which is even further out.
I'll elaborate even further later but I'll say this most people that I know or are related to work in Philly proper or one of it's suburbs.... Not in New York. They pick up Philly TV/Radio stations & spend their income here most of the time i.e,; Night Life, Resturants, Concerts, Clothing, etc; more than they do in New York.

As a matter of fact back in the 80's a lot of my relatives & friends & their relatives moved out to Reading, PA , Williams Port,PA & a few other areas that I can't remember off the top of my head but the ones who didn't commute but worked in their areas STILL spent their leisure time & income in PHILLY..,
They would not have many options on where they shopped for fly clothes, get the latest music, hitting the clubs & bars, going out to eat & having the choice of about 600 resturants and 50 of them are among THE BEST in the country & a handful in the world. They followed (& Still Do) the Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers, Phantoms,& any other team that's come through town.
Also they support & come out to see the local college teams, Temple, Penn, La Salle, St. Joes, Villanova, Drexel, etc; It just depends who's their alumni or particular allegience to.

Unless they grew up in New York for a long time, they are more Philadelphia oriented than New York oriented, meaning that they plenty of family, friends, & connections in Philly and they'll associate with Philadelpians & patronize Philly more than New York just based on those connections alone.
They go to NYC or Atlantic City every once in awhile for a day trip or a weekend...;maybe but Philly is a place that they get to and spend more time & cash in than NYC or AC.

I've heard that a lot of New Yorkers who've been out priced or just wanted a lower cost of living have been moving into Philly & the metro steadily over the past decade & quite a few work up there still. Heck I knew of plenty of Philly native who commuted to NYC but still weren't by any strecth of the imagination were considered New Yorkers or were looked upon as being one by us locals..... They just worked there.

So can someone put up numbers of residents in the Philly area that work in New York & are NOW CONSIDERD NEW YORKERS??
We would slap the dog mess out of any of our relatives or friends who claimed New York & didn't live there.. We'd check em' in a heart beat "Yo' man, You talk Philly, Dress Philly,Have a taste for Philly food, Hell You EVEN WORK IN PHILLY!!!! So don't tell me that you are now a New Yorker because YOU LIVE ACCROSS THE DAMM STREET!!! Even if you work in NYC but live in Trenton, Levitown , Allentown, Bethleham,etc; & grew up there don't try pulling that your From New York crap with us, as a matter of fact go up to the Bronx or Yonkers & see if you can pass yerself off as a New Yorker...

I can watch a reality show especially the court room shows (LOL) I hear the accents & say I'll bet they're from Philly or maybe South Jersey & usually I'm right & if Judge Mathis or somebody ask where their from, they'll say What Part Of Philly not just Philly (LOL) or South Jeresy, or Pennsylvaina, not NYC or North Jersey.

Ever since film school I've met sooo many people who say their from Philly, especially when I'm wearing Eagles gear, they'll ask" Are you from Philly?"
I'll answer "Yes" they say what part? & I'll proudly stick my chest out & say "WEST PHILLY" what part are you from? & they'll start with "Weeell... Have you ever heard of Allentown, or Huntington, or New Hall, Norristown, Coatsville, etc; etc;??? Then I'll say hell yeah!! I love that place or if I've never been there I'm sure that I know some who has or does.
These people, even if they didn't grow up in Philly relate to it, support it in some way, & so they'll claim it... Not New York.. I've heard guys who weren't from Philly & didn't know that I was, claim to be from West Philly, Mt. Airy, Germantown, North Philly, South Philly, etc; (LOL)
When I say "Yeah me too, do you know such & such or about?" Then they'll say well I grew up in So & SO (Usually about 25-40 miles away) outside of Philly but spent the summers there, or they never even did that they might've just "partied there at the clubs & bars on weekeds, tailgate at the Eagles games, check out a Flyers or Sixers game, but NEVER EVER LIVED IN OR WITH IN 15 MILES OF THE CITY..,, And that's cool with me.

STILL THEY NEVER CLAIMED NEW YORK. WE HAVE OUR OWN IDENITIES IN PA, EVEN SOUTH JERSEY, & NORTH DELAWARE, & SURROUNDING COUNTIES...
As far as Philly goes, it's all about out Style, Swagger, Work Ethic, Neighborhoods, The Way We Walk, The Way We Talk, Move About, Our Taste In Food,Libations (4 Those Who Engage), & Of Course Our Philly ATTYTOOD!!!

I Don't know where this "People from Trenton, & Surrounding Philly Area Towns Are From New York"....

If the CSA or whatever it's called has flipped the script for some reason or the Local & State offices went to sleep when it was time to properly annex the City, then shame on them because we are in no way New York or apart of they're metro, NOR DO WE CARE....

As far as I know, it's always been NY, North Jersey, & South Conn.
To the South it's always been Philly, South Jeresy, & North Delaware..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City