Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times

Advertisements

We either need to be looking at the City of SF vs. the City of Philadelphia, or the Bay Area vs. Philly's metro. Not half of the Bay vs. all of Philly's metro, sometimes combined with whining that Philly's metro should extend to include more cities. The Bay is the Bay, and Philly is Philly. Let's either compare the two or close the thread.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:00 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Why do you keep claiming SF an SJ as completely separate? In 1950 SF had a population of 750,000 or so, and SJ was a city of 95,000 surrounded by Orchards. SJ's population didn't explode until after World War II, when it started annexing neighboring communities, and also when "Silicon Valley" emerged...and one main reason for Silicon Valley existing is because of Stanford, and Stanford wouldn't be there if it weren't for SF.

So basically SJ would probably not be quite as large or well off as it now is, if it weren't for SF.

SJ and SF share radio and TV stations (the Bay Area's NBC transmitter is in SJ). SJ and SF have commuter rail running between them. As has been Stated, the 49ers are probably moving down there, yet they'll still be SF's team (all their training facilities and much of their fanbase are down there already anyways). I live and work in SF. I have a coworker who commutes from SJ. Yes, they are separate MSA's because they did not meet the exact criteria to form one single one...such as the fact that instead of 3 miles of overlapping development at one point, there is 2.8 miles of it. This is due to an office park and geographical restrictions. Believe me, there is no actual noticeable distinction between the metros anywhere. The border between the two MSA's is right through the middle of several cities, and continuous development (i.e. Palo Alto is in SJ's metro, and East Palo Alto is in SF's metro).

There's still enough commuter interchange to still combine the two as a CSA though, along with the 4 other smaller MSA's that make up the Bay Area CSA (Do Philly and NYC combine as a CSA? No.). Jobs are so distributed through out the Bay that SF isn't really the "center city." (still doesn't do bad though, with +200,000 population during the day). The core of the Bay would be all the development along it's edges, with the main centers in SF, Oakland, and SJ.

Another thing to note: the dividing line between SF and SJ's MSAs is 25 miles south of SF....and 15 miles north of SJ. Ask yourself why it's so uneven, especially seeing as SJ is the bigger city. Due to unique circumstances MSAs just don't really reflect the reality of life in the Bay. If you want to know how Bay Area residents really view the region, you'll look it at using the CSA measurement.
We are claiming nothing....you are. The Census Bureau defines MSA's not you or your cohorts.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You're doe-eyed. The CMSA's are hocus pocus self promotion.Some areas do it better than others, some regional political movements have more clout than others.

It absurd to try and tell me there is unquestioned integration between SJ -SF or bal-wash which are 50 miles apart , yet Philadelphia and Trenton 25 miles apart are apparent socio-isolated regions. You'd have to be a jackass to believe that nonsense. The CMSA is a farce.Trenton being part of NYC's metro is an absolute abomination and renders the cmsa status obsolete imo.

Stick with the msa's they have much more credibility.
Very true...and Trenton is definitely...IMHO...part of Philadelphia and not New York.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
San Francisco by a mile,Philly is a dirty city.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,072 times
Where are you getting this Philly is dirty thing

Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
^^ LOL
I didn't say Jacksonville is great in fact it is a pretty dirty city,but Philly wow.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
We either need to be looking at the City of SF vs. the City of Philadelphia, or the Bay Area vs. Philly's metro. Not half of the Bay vs. all of Philly's metro, sometimes combined with whining that Philly's metro should extend to include more cities. The Bay is the Bay, and Philly is Philly. Let's either compare the two or close the thread.
Very well said.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
philly ppl are just like nj people they have to bring up new york city in their dumb arguments
i doubt anybody from the bay has used "we're a 45 minute flight to L.A" once in here, though it would make sense. also about an hour or so to las vegas.
but sad how people from those cities have to piggy back off nyc to make their cities more appealing. LAME
No, what's really lame is the many posters who are ruining the intent of my thread with their insults and immaturity; who, in total, have a COMBINED reputation under 100...I'm impressed! PS That ignore list just keeps on growing!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
San Francisco has gorgeous bay views and hilly terrain. The city has about 800,000 people and a metroploitan area of about 4.3 million.It's economy(GDP) ranks 15th in the world. It has Golden Gate Park and those stunning Bridges. It is our about our densest city with great weather and various ethnic groups. The skyline is pretty nice also. see... File:FinancialNorth.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ....and.... File:SF From Marin Highlands3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also San Francisco is more liberal and I could only find these pictures. Feel free to post better pictures.

Philadelphia has a river running through it and complete ocean access..it also is still a vital manufacturing center. The city has about 1,400,000 people and a metropolitan area around 5.8 million people. It's economy(GDP) ranks 9th in the world. It has many pocket parks downtown and Fairmount Park...one of the nation's largest.(city parks) It too is a dense city, but not as dense as San Francisco. I has a tolerable 4 season climate, which many people prefer. It too has many ethnic groups and a good skyline. The city's center is a great asset and is essentially a more manageable Manhattan; one can walk center city easily.

San Francisco has that "West" coast feel; while Philadelphia has a Northeast feel to it and the city is older and filled with history. To see Philadelphia check... Philadelphia Skyline at Night : Photo Detail :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia .... and... File:GardenStreetBridgeSchuylkillRiverSkylinePhila delphiaPennsylvania.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia These are the only pictures I could find...Feel free to post your own.

I love both cities and I grew up in Pennsylvania; so I am a bit biased. I would call it a draw but center city Philadelphia is wonderful; so, by a hair I vote for Philadelphia.
I just love city-data; a great website where demographic data and ideas can be exchanged.

We rely mainly on the United States Bureau of The Census for accurate information and guidelines. Therefore if you disasgree on the Bureaus classifications...then write them a complaint!

This thread was started to compare the two city's parks, economies, skylines, etc.; NOT to dispute CENSUS FACTS!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:38 PM

San Francisco is kicking Philadelphia's booty in the polls,a lot classier city than Philly is the reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City