Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:50 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
i know what a classy city is. "collingswood" isn't one
Maybe because its not a city, its a suburban town.
Collingswood | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Old 08-28-2009, 10:39 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Yea, Jacksonville and Philly(Filthy) are both not in that category. San Francisco is classier than the both cities put together and then some.
School yard humor...i.e....Filthy....says all I need to know about "where the class is"...

Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Yeehaw,lets go to Collingswood Bubba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lets git in that thar pick-up and go in to town. Okay Clem,
I'm ready...But I gotta pick up Ma and Pa Kettle!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You guys are like broken records, we all know your views, now stop hijacking the thread.
The thing is, these are not our "views." They are facts.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You guys are like broken records, we all know your views, now stop hijacking the thread.
I know what you mean; we barely left the runway and got "highjacked" to Cuba.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I know what you mean; we barely left the runway and got "highjacked" to Cuba.
Yeah I know, its a shame. Why don't we start over, but this time we'll only count North Philly against a 2.4 million person SF metro with new imaginary boundaries? How's that one sound??

Old 08-29-2009, 08:11 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
We either need to be looking at the City of SF vs. the City of Philadelphia, or the Bay Area vs. Philly's metro. Not half of the Bay vs. all of Philly's metro, sometimes combined with whining that Philly's metro should extend to include more cities. The Bay is the Bay, and Philly is Philly. Let's either compare the two or close the thread.
even then it is a quality over quantity thing. hard to tell by just looking at stats, and always subjective. for the size of sf it definitely packs a punch, especially with the number of affluent out there if that is a guage. there aren't near as many "bad" areas compared to many other cities i've been to. on the other hand it doesn't have the population threshold like some other cities to offer the same caliber of stuff like public transportation, big(er) free events, and museums, yada yada.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I have no problem with a San Jose native travelling abroad and telling people that they're from San Francisco (the Bay). It's no different from a person from the OC saying that they're from LA.

I have a hard time believing a Philly native could travel abroad and do the same, calling themselves "New Yorkers".

That would be a flat out lie, almost ludicrous.
Absolutely agree but thats not really the point that is trying to be made.

Philadelphia is too big, it has too much history to capitulate to another region.
Despite the fact that the 2 metroes merge with each other Philadelphia will always keep its independence from NYC, Philadlephia is the birthplace of the country for goodness sake.

The point that is trying to be made is that despite the independence there is more intra-regional commerce and travel happening between NyC/Philly than SF/SJ. To try and deny that notion is not looking at the situation with an open-mind.

The Bay Area has a nice little ring to it but in reality there is a much larger soceity happening along the I-95 Rt1 corridor between NYC + Philly.The fact that this area keeps its independence does not take away from the details.

Last edited by rainrock; 08-29-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
I believe it would be the same result,what do people think of when they hear San Francisco,Golden Gate Bridge,cable cars ,hills the bay and Victorian Homes, Philadelphia has history,Liberty Bell,signing of the Declaration of Independence. It has Philly Cheesesteaks,the Phillies.It is an industrial city with industrial areas that are usually pretty dirty ,it has rowhouses. These are the things posters consider or what rings a bell about a particular city. Other Metros area up and down the corridor are not even considered by most voting pollers and plus it is a bias as to where the poller lives,hey I'm from California,I'll vote for San Francisco without even considering Philadelphia.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
I believe it would be the same result,what do people think of when they hear San Francisco,Golden Gate Bridge,cable cars ,hills the bay and Victorian Homes, Philadelphia has history,Liberty Bell,signing of the Declaration of Independence. It has Philly Cheesesteaks,the Phillies.It is an industrial city with industrial areas that are usually pretty dirty ,it has rowhouses. These are the things posters consider or what rings a bell about a particular city. Other Metros area up and down the corridor are not even considered by most voting pollers and plus it is a bias as to where the poller lives,hey I'm from California,I'll vote for San Francisco without even considering Philadelphia.
There are abandoned homes in Philadelphia that have been that way for 50 years. That would never happen in San Francisco because of the value of Real Estate. There people will pay $750,000 just to buy a lot and tear down the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City