Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,473,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I mean really. Your delusion escalates with each new post.

No, there is not more integration between New York and Philadelphia than there is between San Francisco and San Jose--listen to yourself "The distance of Philly to NYC at its shortest point is about 68 miles".

68 Miles is still greater than Zero Miles. Zero Miles is The distance btwn the SF Urbanized Area and the San Jose Urbanized Area.

They totally and completely overlap and you cant tell by your surroundings that youve left one and entered the other.

NY is a different world from Philadelphia altogether.
Stop Montclair, you're making too much sense!

Lol, I can't believe these are supposedly adults we're interacting with here. They really don't know when to quit.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
rah and montclair are making good points. With a great portion of the bay area today developing post wwII, and even before that, not nearly as old as the east coast. You have to view it differently. It doesn't have the center core layout anymore. Well there is SF, but it doesn't really serve as the core as far as jobs go, they are more spread out in smaller cities EVERYWHERE. Seriously people are commuting every which way out there in a spider web, it isn't like here in Chicago where you have majority of people commuting into a single location. It is just not set up that way. It is a newer area and the infrastructure is more based on cars. SF still serves as the financial/historical/cultural/architecture core though but really you have to take it as one area. But, at the same time you also need to take other metros as one area too. I am not sure but I would not be surprised if more people commuted out of SF for work into SV than into it.

If you want to look at pure city limits then yes SF is going to get trounced, if you want to look how it actually is, it is going to be much more competitive, but just your preference.
An awesome, non-biased post by a non-native of SF. Thank you for being rational here, grapico.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
If the Eagles moved to New York, would it still be appropriate to call them the Philadelphia Eagles? Because it certainly would be, if Philadelphia and New York "merge just as much" as San Francisco and San Jose.
Ha! A very good question. I'd like to see if any one of them will tackle that head on (no pun intended ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by western_mass View Post
I stayed at a SJ hotel for a conference i attended in their downtown...the newscasts were all based in oak/sf except for the nbc affiliate
And the non-natives with brains in their heads just keep on comin! The hard-headed East Coast crew here is in the minority, and I'm glad that plenty of you aren't too stubborn or stupid to see where we are coming from.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
what i dont understand is how someone who's probably never even been to the bay area, will tell a bay area native about the kind of integration there is between the south bay and SF... i mean really... you're talking out of your ass and quoting wikipedia, when people that live there who have no reason to lie to someone they don't give a sh.t about are telling you otherwise.
sf and sj not as closely linked as philly and nyc... wow.. people on here will argue something just for the sake of arguing, even if it makes zero fking sense
That's what I've been wondering this whole time, and I agree it makes zero sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
philly ppl are just like nj people they have to bring up new york city in their dumb arguments
i doubt anybody from the bay has used "we're a 45 minute flight to L.A" once in here, though it would make sense. also about an hour or so to las vegas.
but sad how people from those cities have to piggy back off nyc to make their cities more appealing. LAME
Lol I agree. At least when it comes to some of them. There are plenty who don't do that crap. But the ones that do are just as you said.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 PM

306 posts, read 636,348 times
San Francisco is a million times more sophisticated than Philly. It should win, hands down.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Stop all the argueing, I still prefer Philly and it gets my vote. East Coast Baby!!!!
We'd love to stop the arguing once you guys stop trying to force an unrealistic comparison. And I still prefer SF. West Coast Baby!!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Why do you keep saying 4 million? The Bay Area is 7.5 million...many commute from Oakland/East Bay to San Jose and vice versa. The connection between Oakland and San Jose is just as important as SF/SJ.
Because they're pretending not to know better. They think it somehow favors Philly in comparisons, as though their attitude isn't making it look much worst than any SF/Philly metro comparison could lol.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
In addition, 40 miles is the distance between the two cities limits (NYC & Philly). 18Montclair states that "68 miles is greater than 0 miles." That would actually be relevant if San Fran and San Jose city limits bordered each other. Their metros and urban areas do, just as Philly's and New Yorks do.
This I agree with in part. The difference here is that SF's CSA is comparable to Philly's MSA and NYC's city. This applies to DC's CSA too. If we are going to make apples to apples comparisons here, then we should be looking at areas with comparable infrastructure and populations. SF is a city and so is East St. Louis. Are they comparable? No. If that comparison were to be drawn we would look at the metros. Or at the very least SF vs. STL.

And we should be realistic here. The separation of the Bay Area into 2 MSAs is arbitrary. It is not the reality here. Philly has one solid metro that although it may border NYC's metro, is distinct from it. SF's and SJ's supposed metros (that to Bay Area residents are non-existent) are not distinct. We don't even know where the imaginary line would be drawn. You guys clearly do between NYC and Philly. NJ residents know whether or not they belong to NYC's or Philly's metro regions. That's the major difference here, and that's why we all have a problem with it. The Bay is one metropolitan region, plain and simple.

Last edited by jman650; 08-28-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
You guys are like broken records, we all know your views, now stop hijacking the thread.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Thank you. So I guess Philly must get NYC newscasts and vice versa right?
Lol well of course they must since "there is more integration between NYC metro and Phillys metro than there is between SJ and SF." How could Philly not get them if what they said is true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I have no problem with a San Jose native travelling abroad and telling people that they're from San Francisco (the Bay). It's no different from a person from the OC saying that they're from LA.

I have a hard time believing a Philly native could travel abroad and do the same, calling themselves "New Yorkers".

That would be a flat out lie, almost ludicrous.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City