Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most overrated skyline?
New York City 44 10.14%
Los Angeles 78 17.97%
Chicago 22 5.07%
Houston 78 17.97%
Philadelphia 34 7.83%
Boston 39 8.99%
Seattle 32 7.37%
San Francisco 35 8.06%
Dallas 38 8.76%
Other (specify on thread) 34 7.83%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 AM

226 posts, read 645,886 times

Advertisements

Rochester New York has a pretty Deceiving downtown. I don't know about skyline, but their downtown is massive for a city that small. Syracuse isn't far behind in my book. Maybe it has something to do with them being old boom towns that went dry, but the vacancy rate in their large downtown office buildings is staggering, looks abandoned to me, both cities.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
Rochester New York has a pretty Deceiving downtown. I don't know about skyline, but their downtown is massive for a city that small. Syracuse isn't far behind in my book. Maybe it has something to do with them being old boom towns that went dry, but the vacancy rate in their large downtown office buildings is staggering, looks abandoned to me, both cities.
See, I think it's the opposite. For a metro with about 1.1 million people, you call that massive? I call it underwhelming. Just look at cities such as Des Moines, Salt Lake City and Raleigh. Those cities are all similar in size to Rochester, but have far larger and healthier downtown areas.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM

226 posts, read 645,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
See, I think it's the opposite. For a metro with about 1.1 million people, you call that massive? I call it underwhelming. Just look at cities such as Des Moines, Salt Lake City and Raleigh. Those cities are all similar in size to Rochester, but have far larger and healthier downtown areas.
Maybe unfulfilled is the proper word. Great potential not being utilized properly.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 AM

120 posts, read 208,889 times
Minneapolis has a fantastic skyline for a midsized city, especially compared to Denver, San Diego and other similarly sized cities. It makes the city seem much bigger than it actually is (Although when combined with St. Paul, the twin cities metro area is rather large).

Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Honestly, I totally agree with what you are saying.

I know people in Southwest near the airport, another in South and one more in KOP. I'm not one of those weekend stowaways who doesn't know what's outside CC. As a matter of fact, CC came much later...probably my 2nd or maybe 3rd visit. I've been to Boathouse Row (to the right of the interstate leaving CC), stayed in KOP (upscale suburban area, more in line with what I prefer), partied in Old City (rode around for at least 45 min looking for a park), visited a friends cousin in Chester, and another in Camden , another who lived in Upper Darby above a pizza shop, gotten a haircut off Passyunk, bought a Polo hoodie on South Street (racks at the fronts of the stores for your bags and food), even looked at houses in Wilmington where the property taxes are significantly lower than in PA with a friend who was preparing to move at the time. So yes, I've been to all corners of Philly too many times to count.

The truth of the matter is this.. Philly has a great skyline (that is the topic right ?) But for what I like, there simply isn't enough of it. Sure it looks great via aerial imagery but in person, there's a small centralized cluster of super talls surrounded by a myriad of mid-rises that make virtually no impact (for what I like) in person. Please don't take my opinion out of context, I think the symmetry is damn near second to none. And there are views which truly provide what I want, for example approaching Philly from Camden looking past the sportsplex... that is the most exciting to me, but once I make my way toward CC, it looses most of its thunder.
That's because Philadelphia has only had 28 years to build higher then 548 feet due to the gentleman's agreement (No one could build higher than City Hall). We have 8 buildings higher than that now with two reaching over 900 feet. That's pretty impressive with only 28 years to work with for any city outside of New York or Chicago. Not to mention we had a myriad of buildings proposed that got canceled when the recession hit. 2 towers over 1,000 feet. One being the third tallest in America at 1,510 feet. At least 2 more 900 foot towers and at least 10 towers ranging from 600-800 feet. No one would be saying a word against Philly if all of that was built and I can guarantee you that once the market is good again we will be seeing that kind of interest again in Philly, if not even more. The residential market is starting to turn positive in Philly and we already have a 400 foot tower under construction.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM

144 posts, read 223,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
That's because Philadelphia has only had 28 years to build higher then 548 feet due to the gentleman's agreement (No one could build higher than City Hall). We have 8 buildings higher than that now with two reaching over 900 feet. That's pretty impressive with only 28 years to work with for any city outside of New York or Chicago. Not to mention we had a myriad of buildings proposed that got canceled when the recession hit. 2 towers over 1,000 feet. One being the third tallest in America at 1,510 feet. At least 2 more 900 foot towers and at least 10 towers ranging from 600-800 feet. No one would be saying a word against Philly if all of that was built and I can guarantee you that once the market is good again we will be seeing that kind of interest again in Philly, if not even more. The residential market is starting to turn positive in Philly and we already have a 400 foot tower under construction.
I'm pretty sure that new one, The Comcast Center is among the tallest in the world. At least in the top 10.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
I'm pretty sure that new one, The Comcast Center is among the tallest in the world. At least in the top 10.
maybe 100 not close to top ten even in the US it wouldnt be

Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
maybe 100 not close to top ten even in the US it wouldnt be
Actually this is not true. To the pinnacle height Comcast Center is the 15th tallest in the U.S.... to the roof height it is the 9th tallest in the U.S.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:29 PM

157 posts, read 165,491 times
Philly, it looks small but it's very large!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,295 times
Atlanta has a massive skyline but there really isn't all that much going on on the street level underneath all those tall buildings. Even on Peachtree businesses are relatively sparse along the stretches with the tallest buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City