Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most overrated skyline?
New York City 44 10.14%
Los Angeles 78 17.97%
Chicago 22 5.07%
Houston 78 17.97%
Philadelphia 34 7.83%
Boston 39 8.99%
Seattle 32 7.37%
San Francisco 35 8.06%
Dallas 38 8.76%
Other (specify on thread) 34 7.83%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
San Jose easily (I found this out by accident just ast week). The others don't even compare. Can you believe that this city has a population of just under a million:

Ah, but at night:

Talk about spread out. The American Dream: a house with white picket fence and two car garage for everyone!
thats because it annexed a bunch of suburbs like columbus ohio.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
thats because it annexed a bunch of suburbs like columbus ohio.
SAN JOSE ANNEXED COLUMBUS OH? My word, sprawl really HAS gotten out of hand.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,406 times
Des Moines has one of the most under-rated skylines. Especially for its size.

http://api.ning.com/files/C64u9umgGPvK*1dZzl2-mX8CKSVZDgGYlvOb8NTTAwebaN0ub2FD-yAIhcw8BrQQGTO0leRjRLyqGW6hrH3K0nQo39mrw1rm/DesMoinesSkyline1.jpg (broken link)
2792EBBB-A85B-83BC-F829-11C642CE3EA2

Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
San Francisco has the most over rated skyline in the US period.

Its very spread out, yet dense, but not very tall.

This is very deceiving of its actual size.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM

301 posts, read 639,727 times
I want the reason why people voted for NY, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston. Was it just pure hatred for the cities, jealousy maybe?

The people mentioned for each city can they tell why they voted what they did. These are with Miami the best 5 skylines in the country even for their size these cities are. I voted for the city I dont like, if others used the same ideaology then that should explain why they voted what they did.
I voted LA for 2nd largest city it has small skyline and I dont like the city but I dont hide behind poll I especially would like to hear why NY and Houston they have the most votes and nice skylines. give reason not one post in this thread did people say NY, Chicago, Houston and those cities have most votes? I do want to say one thing, the cities with most votes command the most powerful skylines in country even LA included, NY, SF, Houston, Chicago, ATL, Miami people of other cities that voted for the cities mentioned without giving reasons are street beggars, you cannot choose if you come from a city with inferior skyline by height, size, style.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-17-2010 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: baiting

Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I believe the metro is 650,000 when you also count the cities of York and Lancaster, which really aren't dependent on the Harrisburg area and are pretty much their own metro areas.
No, it's Dauphin, Cumberland and Lebanon Counties. Toss in York and Lancaster Counties, and you have ~1.5M people.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
San Jose easily (I found this out by accident just ast week). The others don't even compare. Can you believe that this city has a population of just under a million:

Ah, but at night:

Talk about spread out. The American Dream: a house with white picket fence and two car garage for everyone!

Actuallly the city population is over 1 million now, 10th largest city in the nation. It's skyline is so small because the downtown is literally 10 min from the airport and right in the direct path of landing.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
I want the reason why people voted for NY, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston. Was it just pure hatred for the cities, jealousy maybe?

The people mentioned for each city can they tell why they voted what they did. These are with Miami the best 5 skylines in the country even for their size these cities are. I voted for the city I dont like, if others used the same ideaology then they should explain why they voted what they did.
I voted LA for 2nd largest city it has small skyline and I dont like the city but I dont hide behind poll I especially would like to hear why NY and Houston they have the most votes and nice skylines. give reason not one post in this thread did people say NY, Chicago, Houston and those cities have most votes? I do want to say one thing, the cities with most votes command the most powerful skylines in country even LA included, NY, SF, Houston, Chicago, ATL, Miami people of other cities that voted for the cities mentioned without giving reasons are street beggars, you cannot choose if you come from a city with inferior skyline by height, size, style.
Miami's skyline is overrated.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-17-2010 at 03:38 AM..

Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 PM

301 posts, read 639,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Miami's skyline is overrated.
But why is it overrated? You have not even given reason, you just said something. It is equivalent of walking over to an Irish man and saying he is Italian without hearing from him if it were true or not.
I am new to site, I have been reading for a while now. I have seen much NY hatred, Chicago hatred, Houston hatred and SF hatred on these boards, without explanation. I especially see it with Philadelphia posters to SF, Chicago, DC, Houston. I even see Philadelphia posters voting for cities with superior skylines by height, size, style than theirs without giving reason.
I gave reason for why I voted LA, but other "hate" voters have not, some voters may be legitimate and certainly do feel skylines for their choice of city overrated but I do not believe 22 for NY, 34 for Houston, 12 a piece for Chicago, SF is normal for people who really believe it, more of hidden messaged agenda.

I have read on this site, every Philadelphian poster in this section of forum has inferiority complex. Taking away importance of DC, battering Houston, slapping Atlanta when they see necessary, and battering SF. Is there a reason for this? Manner of their attacks resembles zoo beasts.. Philadelphia is my home away from home, but posters on this site make it seem uncivilized zoo mannered and jealousy.

Last edited by Ghost of Blasphamany; 09-16-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
But why is it overrated? You have not even given reason, you just said something. It is equivalent of walking over to an Irish man and saying he is Italian without hearing from him if it were true or not.
I am new to site, I have been reading for a while now. I have seen much NY hatred, Chicago hatred, Houston hatred and SF hatred on these boards, without explanation. I especially see it with Philadelphia posters to SF, Chicago, DC, Houston. I even see Philadelphia posters voting for cities with superior skylines by height, size, style than theirs without giving reason.
I gave reason for why I voted LA, but other "hate" voters have not, some voters may be legitimate and certainly do feel skylines for their choice of city overrated but I do not believe 22 for NY, 34 for Houston, 12 a piece for Chicago, SF is normal for people who really believe it, more of hidden messaged agenda.

I have read on this site, every Philadelphian poster in this section of forum has inferiority complex. Taking away importance of DC, battering Houston, slapping Atlanta when they see necessary, and battering SF. Is there a reason for this? Manner of their attacks resembles zoo beasts.. Philadelphia is my home away from home, but posters on this site make it seem uncivilized zoo mannered and jealousy.
Not enough variety in height or architecture, at least among the more prominent buildings, and no buildings that really stand out. ("Prominent" is relative here.) Just because it's a large skyline doesn't mean it's a great skyline.

By the way, I'm not from Philadelphia, and I've only ever been there once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City