Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Sports Town
Dallas 56 67.47%
Houston 13 15.66%
Atlanta 14 16.87%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:34 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Either way, Dallas is the winner.
Ok you win.Happy? I think I will go see Morehouse at their season opener,then I'll go see Georgia Tech play next weekend,then go to Clark-Atlanta Univ.I can't begin to list all the fun college sports I will be attending in Atlanta this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Ok you win.Happy? I think I will go see Morehouse at their season opener,then I'll go see Georgia Tech play next weekend,then go to Clark-Atlanta Univ.I can't begin to list all the fun college sports I will be attending in Atlanta this year.
Yeah, I can't wait to to go the Labor Day Classic in Houston.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:35 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
Quote:

Your going to be debating forever with these Texans.... I would suggest let them have this thread please we will just enjoy what we have here Atlanta.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Your going to be debating forever with these Texans.... I would suggest let them have this thread please we will just enjoy what we have here Atlanta.
yeh I know you are right.I let them "make love with themselves".

Old 08-29-2009, 02:30 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
LOL>NO man.Im sorry but the Peach Bowl isnt the only bowl game here.I can't even begin to tell you how many college championships have been held here.There are SO many games of different sporting events year round. ACC tournament(all sports), the Chick-fil-A Bowl(not the Peach Bowl for over 5 years now), the Southeastern Conference football championship game, the Bank of America Atlanta Football Classic and the kickoff classic. The other big events this year are Cheersport Limited and the USA Volleyball Association boys championship.Not to mention all the other stuff I mentioned earlier.
The fact is all three can be close.I have no problem if Atlanta came last but you and I know that the only reason Dallas is ahead is because of the Dallas Cowboys.The first and only thing one thinks about when Dallas and sports are mentioned,people say COWBOYS!.No MORE,just COWBOYS!!
All of the ACC championship games are not held in Atlanta every year. Some are held in Tampa and Greensboro, NC. Now if you're talking SEC, than I'd agree. I still call it the Peach Bowl. Just like I still call Landshark Stadium in Miami, Joe Robbie Stadium. I said Dallas is ahead because they have better support and their professional teams are more successful. Not just because of the Cowboys. Texas/OU is another thing that happens annualy in Dallas that people think about.

Quote:
How does Dallas rank with Atlanta in college sports?Based on "the State Fair Game"?Cotton Bowl is tops.Ill give you that one.
O.K.now this matter of football in Houston,
The TEXANS?Gimme a break!!They make the falcons look like the Cowboys!!The club is one of five in the NFL that has yet to qualify for the Super Bowl, the only team in the league that has not achieved a playoff berth, and the only team that has not achieved a winning season.NONE of Atlanta's team are even close to have ever been that bad.
Actually like I said before Dallas has the best in prof.football,Houston has it in prof.Basketball,but neither city can touch Atlanta in college sports.Period.The economic impact of college sports in most major American cities is one reason (due to its large colleges) ranks in the top tier.
I agree about the Texans. I'm not a Texans fan. I'm a Cowboy fan. I only said Dallas can hold it's own. It has an impressive resume. Not that it is above Atlanta. I actually can agree that Atlanta is number 1. But Dallas can hold it's own in that department.

Quote:
If this was which city has the best professional sports,I agree Atlanta could be seen by most to be last.But the severe lacking in college sports is a major difference in other cities.
Again, Dallas is not lacking in that department. It hosts numerous Big 12 championship games and tournaments yearly, it hosts the Texas/OU game, the Cotton Bowl game, and other games yearly. It is home to a pretty decent TCU team, and it hosts the State Fair Classic every year. Not to mention the other small revenue college tourney's. Houston on the other hand is last.

Quote:
Just like Texans enjoy what they have in Texas. There really was no point in your comment because it adds nothing. Oh and when it comes to high school football, Texas, Florida, and California are the most talented but Texas by far has the best atmosphere. Mississippi was only awarded that title because they have the most per capita. But in sheer volume and atmosphere, it doesn't hold a candle to Texas. This is not to say Mississippi is terrible in football. It just is not in the tier of the big 3.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I voted for Houston. Dallas and Atlanta strike me as cities where the fans could care less about professional sports(more transient populations). The NFL Texans may not draw many fans but give it a few years because they haven't been around very long. they also became competitive as the season went on. As for the NBA Rockets and MLB Astros both teams seem to fill their stadiums. I'd put Dallas #2 and Atlanta last.
No sir. Earlier in the decade, you'd see as many dark seats before you see people. Dallas has drawn record crowds every year this decade thanks to winning although with no championships. Go to Dallas and tell me people don't care about the Cowboys. See how transient you think those people really are. I also have a hard time believing Atlanta doesn't care about the Braves.

With the Cowboys though, it is America's Team for a reason. Ask Falcon fans, when they were nearly outnumbered in their own stadium when Dallas played there a couple years ago.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No sir. Earlier in the decade, you'd see as many dark seats before you see people. Dallas has drawn record crowds every year this decade thanks to winning although with no championships. Go to Dallas and tell me people don't care about the Cowboys. See how transient you think those people really are. I also have a hard time believing Atlanta doesn't care about the Braves.

With the Cowboys though, it is America's Team for a reason. Ask Falcon fans, when they were nearly outnumbered in their own stadium when Dallas played there a couple years ago.
Yeah, the Cowboys are to football what the Yankees are to Baseball. Even growing up in LA, the Cowboys were second to the Raiders and were more popular than the Rams. After the Raiders left, debateably the Cowboys are the favored team in LA. LA doesnt seem to get too wrapped up in the Chargers or Raiders (anymore).

When I lived in Chicago, I saw the Cowboys and Bears play at Soilder field in 2007. I was absolutely shocked to see as many Cowboy fans as Bear fans.

My company has an office in Newark, NJ. I used to go up there all the time, and again I was shocked to meet a fairly large number of Cowboy fans. One of which, goes to Dallas twice a year for the games. Maybe they just hated the Giants so much that they pull for their worst enemy.

Yes, I have to agree, the Dallas Cowboys are Americas Team!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
O.K.now this matter of football in Houston,
The TEXANS?Gimme a break!!They make the falcons look like the Cowboys!!The club is one of five in the NFL that has yet to qualify for the Super Bowl, the only team in the league that has not achieved a playoff berth, and the only team that has not achieved a winning season.NONE of Atlanta's team are even close to have ever been that bad.
Actually like I said before Dallas has the best in prof.football,Houston has it in prof.Basketball,but neither city can touch Atlanta in college sports.Period.The economic impact of college sports in most major American cities is one reason (due to its large colleges) ranks in the top tier.

If this was which city has the best professional sports,I agree Atlanta could be seen by most to be last.But the severe lacking in college sports is a major difference in other cities.
Quote:
Football :Houston over Atlanta?How so?The Texans?lol.Because the Falcons have one many conference championships and have been to the superbowl.
Basketballallas over Atlanta?NO way.At least not in winning.
Damn man, the Texans have only been around since 2002. You think they're gonna have all of that accomplished? They got owned in the draft by the commish back then, and didn't receive the same benefits as the Jags/Panthers/new Browns did. And they've been 8-8 the past two years. Playoff time is this year. Bookmark my post. Also, Houston had the Oilers. As you can see (if you read my post) I said entire city's history.

And yes, Dallas >>>>>>> Atlanta in basketball. EASILY. Especially in winning.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I voted for Houston. Dallas and Atlanta strike me as cities where the fans could care less about professional sports(more transient populations). The NFL Texans may not draw many fans but give it a few years because they haven't been around very long. they also became competitive as the season went on. As for the NBA Rockets and MLB Astros both teams seem to fill their stadiums. I'd put Dallas #2 and Atlanta last.
The Texans constantly fill up their stadium. Consistent sellout since they've been in the league (2002). And LAnative, there really isn't a team you'd place the Texans over right now?? Really??

Old 08-29-2009, 03:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Damn man, the Texans have only been around since 2002. You think they're gonna have all of that accomplished? They got owned in the draft by the commish back then, and didn't receive the same benefits as the Jags/Panthers/new Browns did. And they've been 8-8 the past two years. Playoff time is this year. Bookmark my post. Also, Houston had the Oilers. As you can see (if you read my post) I said entire city's history.

And yes, Dallas >>>>>>> Atlanta in basketball. EASILY. Especially in winning.
Exactly, Texans haven't even been around that long. They not my favorite team, but I will admit they coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City