Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

OK, I see lots of "ghetto" threads all the time. This or that city is ghetto. Which I think is BS and unfair most of the time to label a city an entire city like that.

I extensively travel the country and tend to get to every major city once every 2-3 years.

What I have seen over the past ten years is ghettos slowly giving way to young professionals, condos, dog parks, retail centers etc. You know, basically gentrification of blightened urban areas that border the more vibrant central city or CBD areas. What happens it seems is the ghetto element is pushed out of these areas and into other areas or even other cities or suburbs. Most of the time the size of the “ghetto” gets smaller, but those smaller areas end up with even more crime.

So my question is how much ghetto has been “re-discovered” in major cities across the county and are now no longer considered ghetto. These areas could even be some of the more expensive parts of a city now.

So has your city replaced ghetto with condos and sidewalk cafes?

Here in KCMO it has happened to some degree. KC has been busy just trying to get its central business district respectable again and restoring entire vacant warehouse districts to worry about its ghetto, but there have been some success stories, but nothing like I have seen in other cities.

I was just in Chicago and the old "southside" stereotypes are quickly being replaced with condo buildings and urban big boxes.

Thoughts?

Last edited by kcmo; 08-26-2009 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
New York City is trying to do that too.

Harlem is a good example, the South Bronx & Bed-Stuy are starting to become the next "targets".

The rest of the hoods bite the dust.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
New York City is trying to do that too.

Harlem is a good example, the South Bronx & Bed-Stuy are starting to become the next "targets".

The rest of the hoods bite the dust.
Actually they have been targets as well as 90 other neighborhoods and business districts across the city that will be rezoned since 2 years ago. They just couldn't get moving fast enough.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times
It's replacing ghettos with sleek condos and coffee shops, but all that really does is force poverty elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 AM

246 posts, read 759,148 times
And destroys the character and fabric of the city. How about improving neighborhoods without making them some yuppie/hipster reinvention?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 AM

111 posts, read 258,078 times
Denver is a great example of this. Five Points, LoDo, and the new Santa Fe arts district are surprisingly quick large turn arounds.

Though some from other places may claim these were never actual ghettos anyway, living in Pittsburgh now and seeing true urban decay I guess I could somewhat agree.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times
Norfolk is replacing ghettos with medium density apartments/ condos, retail, and office buildings in something called "st. paul's quadrant"

Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Why would anyone want to keep ghettos? Who wants to look at urban blight? You be poor and still have some pride in your neighborhood.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
All I want is to be able to eat Gyros, Tacos, shishkabobs, freakin Korean food, Chinese, arabian, and food from everywhere Instead of being forced to go to stupid coffeeshops

and see cheap clothing stores replaced with stores that have ugly expensive clothing that I will never wear.

Albany park, Chicago is not Ghetto, and it is being gentrified.

most of Chicago's northside was not ghetto, and it was gentrified.

If you really want to improve something, why not gentrify all of Madison street

Old 08-27-2009, 09:49 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Houston's 4th ward has been developed with condos and townhouses. I believe 3rd Ward is next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City