Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas vs. Florida vs. California
Texas 280 37.99%
Florida 123 16.69%
California 334 45.32%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times

Advertisements

I've lived in California, Florida, and Texas, so here's my perspective:

1. Most to least transient: Florida, California, Texas

Florida is a "revolving-door state" like Arizona and Nevada--very transient. California and Texas have way more native-born residents than Florida, hence the tremendous amount of state pride you find among the residents of those states. However, I would venture to say that people tend to have more civic pride in Texas than California.

OTOH, people in Florida--whether they were born there or not--are prouder to have parents from New York than to be from Florida. Some of former colleagues and neighbors in South Florida, most of whom were from New York, would tell me that their kids would tell people they were from New York, even though they were born in Florida. Obviously, civic pride is non-existent in Florida, but that goes without saying. Please, spare me.

2. Most to least beautiful: California, Florida, Texas

California is the most beautiful state in the entire country. IMO, Florida is up there, too--maybe not top 5 or 10, but maybe top 15 or so. If you don't automatically equate scenery with mountains or topographical features, then Florida could rank higher, for all intents and purposes. In addition to its beautiful beaches, Florida also has something else most other states cannot lay claim to--year-round greenery in much of the state. The coastal (and inland) subtropical marshes and savannas are very beautiful, too--again, not something you'd find in many other states.

Texas is a hideously ugly state--the northern half is flat, barren, uninspiring prairie. Greater Houston is the most disgusting metro area in the entire U.S.--dirty, smelly, polluted, etc. Even Los Angeles seems cleaner than Houston.

3. Best to worst people quality: California, Texas, Florida

Californians are simply much easier to live around than people in Florida or Texas. West Coasters tend to be very casual; polite; tolerant, even if not approving; and generally aloof, but pleasant if engaged. OTOH, people in Florida, especially South Florida and increasingly Greater Orlando, are, for the most part, angry; rude; arrogant; selfish; and, in many cases, just plain bizarre. Most of the time, people in Florida are just looking to "one-up" you: cut you in line, beat you to the stoplight, etc.--very East Coast-like, but without the more redeeming qualities of the Northeast (i.e., people with core family values, civic pride, and traditions that run deep; tight-knit communities; stellar K-12 and higher education offerings; etc.). Look up the "FloriDUH Blog" published in the Sun Sentinel. If that isn't enough to scare you, then I don't know what it is. I would venture to say that Florida is, perhaps, home to the worst quality of people in the nation.

Don't even get me started on Texans--nosy, pretentious, overly-religious, very conservative, etc. I never found Texans to be nearly as friendly and welcoming as they're purported to be. People in Houston and San Antonio always seemed warmer and less WASP-y than people in Dallas. FWIW, I'm Italian-American.

4. Best to worst culture: California, Florida, Texas

California, by far--most progressive, most tolerant, most live-and-let-live, most welcoming/"come-as-you-are"-type place of the three. Parts of Florida aren't too far behind either, but lots of retirees/snowbirds, Panhandle residents, African-Americans, and Cuban-Americans suppress the true liberality of the place, IMO.

California might be broke, but it sure as Hell ain't heartless. That became overwhelmingly clear during the Nevada "patient-busing" scandals. Please.

Texas has the worst culture of the three. The whole extremely conservative/gun-obsessed/camouflage/megachurch/Bible-quoting/bigot-centric/restrictive (alcohol, gaming, etc.) culture was truly a poor a fit for me.

5. Best to worst weather: California, Florida, Texas

Florida has warmer winters than most of California, but May through November is much more pleasant in California than Florida--hardly any rain to speak of; no threat of hurricanes or the tornadoes they spawn; significantly less cloud cover; and, of course, considerably less humid and buggy. No tornadoes, thunderstorms, hailstorms, or hurricanes in California unlike Florida and Texas, and no ice storms or snowstorms in most of California either, unlike Texas.

6. Best-looking people: California, Texas, Florida

Lots of stunningly beautiful people in Southern California and even Northern California. Texans tend to be more striking than people in Florida, too.

I'm Italian-American who grew up in Southern New England and lived in South Florida for years, so I'm quite tired of the dark hair/dark eyes look found in much of Florida (Latin, Jewish, Italian, etc.).

7. Best to worst economy: Texas, California, Florida

Texas has a stronger, more diversified economy than Florida in addition to many more corporate HQ's and regional offices--that goes without saying. Texas certainly has a stronger pro-business regulatory environment than California--again, something that goes without saying--and, to a lesser extent, Florida, although Gov. Scott is trying his hardest to compete with Texas/Gov. Perry on that front.

As an aside, I actually applaud Gov. Scott on his attempts to make Florida one of the best states in the U.S. for business. Unfortunately, most people in Florida don't care about stimulating the state's economy and creating high-paying jobs, mostly because so few residents of Florida have a vested interest in the state.

Like Florida, Texas has no state income tax, which is very alluring for high-income earners. However, unlike Florida, wages are much more proportional to COL in Texas, which are abysmal in Florida.

All of these factors, in turn, foster a stronger competitive ethos in Texas than Florida and help make Texas a better choice for corporate ladder-climbers and white-collar professionals in general. Better than California? No, there isn't a single state--save, perhaps, New York--that's better than California for white-collar professionals, IMO, but Texas is now in the same neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Texas is a hideously ugly state--the northern half is flat, barren, uninspiring prairie. Greater Houston is the most disgusting metro area in the entire U.S.--dirty, smelly, polluted, etc. Even Los Angeles seems cleaner than Houston.
God, yes.

You're NO expert Texas, but I'm sure that any objective person can see your post and figure that out for themselves.

Last edited by Nairobi; 03-02-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 01:04 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Another ridiculous gem from 8to32characters. I mean he can't help himself with each passing post.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:08 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Texas has economic advantages going for it that make it a remarkable state. Its in a unique position to command a booming economy. It has things that CA cannot replicate like a large population influx, cheap flat land ripe for development which keeps prices relatively low, and a unique diverse economy. That mixture makes for a bustling upswing. But I think that's where the major positives end.

Besides being able to carve out a little slice of the American pie what else is there? I wouldn't call the state as culturally or even as economically relevant as CA. It hasn't really tried to experiment with creating a unique enough state through extensive public investment.

Texas is just a really good second rate state to live in if you don't want to put up with the hassle of trying to make it in a more competitive expensive one like NY, MA or CA. And that's not a bad thing. I would hate for my only options to be LA, SF, NYC or Podunk, Montana.

I'm happy as a clam there is a state like Texas with these bustling major cities with big city amenities at relatively low costs to enjoy. That to me is what makes it such a great state.
Second rate though? I know you're not trying to bash it. But that's what you're doing. Btw, I myself would be far happier in Texas then Massachusetts. That's me though.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Don't get so offended man. A lot of the best land in Texas is privately owned or in far off remote parks from the major cities. If you live in Dallas or Houston you're far off from that beauty. In Austin and San Antonio you're a little closer to the really nice stuff. But who's gonna move out to middle of no where Texas to take advantage of natural beauty.

In CA you have town after town, city after city smack dab in the thick of some of the most beautiful landscape in the nation.

Texas is like a fiefdom by comparison.

Nairobi just chillax Texas is a great state but it just doesn't even begin to compare with Cali outside of job opportunities

Old 03-02-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Second rate though? I know you're not trying to bash it. But that's what you're doing. Btw, I myself would be far happier in Texas then Massachusetts. That's me though.
Being 2nd best out of 50 in my opinion still rocks. I agree I personally would be happier in Texas than MA.

But really if Texas were as expensive as CA and had abysmal job growth and had a major downswing would ppl flock to it like they do CA? CA is in its worse shape but ppl still come and are willing to pay the premium.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Don't get so offended man. A lot of the best land in Texas is privately owned or in far off remote parks from the major cities. If you live in Dallas or Houston you're far off from that beauty. In Austin and San Antonio you're a little closer to the really nice stuff. But who's gonna move out to middle of no where Texas to take advantage of natural beauty.

In CA you have town after town, city after city smack dab in the thick of some of the most beautiful landscape in the nation.

Texas is like a fiefdom by comparison.

Nairobi just chillax Texas is a great state but it just doesn't even begin to compare with Cali outside of job opportunities
I'm perfectly chilled. I just want you to realize that you can't pass off your own personal opinion as fact. California is the much better state, to you. That doesn't make it true for everyone else. I can admit to the numerous advantages California has while still preferring Texas. I'm not understanding why you have such a difficult time comprehending that.

Personally, I feel that Houston and Dallas have plenty of natural beauty in their areas, but that's mostly because I prefer the trees to the dry, rugged landscape of Austin and San Antonio. I recognize those areas for the beauty they have, but they're not personal favorites. Beauty is relative.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
8to32Characters is one of the worst posters on City Vs City. He's so classist it's insane. Very smug. I even go as far as to say he's pretty racist, but remember, Liberals can't be racist, right? He's a perfect example that anyone can be.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm perfectly chilled. I just want you to realize that you can't pass off your own personal opinion as fact. California is the much better state, to you. That doesn't make it true for everyone else. I can admit to the numerous advantages California has while still preferring Texas. I'm not understanding why you have such a difficult time comprehending that.

Personally, I feel that Houston and Dallas have plenty of natural beauty in their areas, but that's mostly because I prefer the trees to the dry, rugged landscape of Austin and San Antonio. I recognize those areas for the beauty they have, but they're not personal favorites. Beauty is relative.
I agree its different strokes for different folks but there are a lot of objective stuff that makes CA better than Texas. That doesn't mean that Texas is somehow a poor state but that it's still in the making to be phenomenal.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I agree its different strokes for different folks but there are a lot of objective stuff that makes CA better than Texas
Like what? What are the numerous things that everyone in the world would agree are advantages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City