Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times

Advertisements

Hong Kong was under British colonial rule for 156 years. It was given back over to China in 1997.I personally love the city from an architecture and aesthetic view point as I see it as a cleaner and brighter city than New York. New York has a gritty and bland look to it especially in burroughs outside of Manhattan,but know doubt about it two great cities.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:39 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
If Hong Kong was in the U.S. I'd probably choose it, but New York City it is.

Nice pics btw .

Old 08-29-2009, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,513 times
From an architecture point of view, Hong Kong is hideous. Fugly. Miles and miles of identical commie blocks, bland terrible stucco buildings that look like rejects from Miami Beach circa 1970. There are nice places but It's easy to take one or two good pictures but it doesn't give you the entire picture of Hong Kong. Architecturally, New York trumps Hong Kong.

I do love the skyline though. I like Shanghai is better than HK. In Asia, Tokyo tops.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared0
From an architecture point of view, Hong Kong is hideous. Fugly. Miles and miles of identical commie blocks, bland terrible stucco buildings that look like rejects from Miami Beach circa 1970. There are nice places but It's easy to take one or two good pictures but it doesn't give you the entire picture of Hong Kong. Architecturally, New York trumps Hong Kong.

I do love the skyline though. I like Shanghai is better than HK. In Asia, Tokyo tops.
Kinda, hypocritical, don't you think?

Old 08-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Kinda, hypocritical, don't you think?
NO.

I like the skyline at night. The skyline also look good in the daytime and panned away from the detailing when you don't really notice them. Up close on the street level...No.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Pretty awesome HK pictures.

For me it would be Hong Kong, definitely. NYC is overrated.
Your right, nice pictures. But did you actually read the OP? Which city would rather LIVE in?

Its not which city is overrated or which one is more beautiful.

To be fair to Hong Kong this probably should be on a more neutral World forum. Not on an American or for that matter a Chinese forum. Only a few of us here speak Chinese enough to get by in China. Even less of us speak Chinese and want to live in Communist China.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:35 PM

I would never live in China. Visiting is fun, but living? Never. I would even rather live in Houston over Hong Kong.

NYC is a superior city anyway, so 100% hands down NYC.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:49 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared0 View Post

Yes, Hong Kong does have a lot of what you call "bland terrible stucco buildings" although it's concrete, not stucco. But how is that any uglier than the miles upon miles of ugly, soulless, Soviet-looking apartment blocks found all over NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Your right, nice pictures. But did you actually read the OP? Which city would rather LIVE in?

Its not which city is overrated or which one is more beautiful.

To be fair to Hong Kong this probably should be on a more neutral World forum. Not on an American or for that matter a Chinese forum. Only a few of us here speak Chinese enough to get by in China. Even less of us speak Chinese and want to live in Communist China.
English is an official language of Hong Kong. All street signs are in English, taxi drivers speak English (probably no worse than NYC taxi drivers), and English is the preferred language in the HK business community. I don't speak one lick of Cantonese but have NEVER had any problems communicating with anyone in HK.

In addition, Hong Kong is not communist. Yes, it's owned by China, but it's far from being communist. In many respects HongKongers enjoy more personal freedoms than do New Yorkers (certainly the freedom to keep more of your own money and the freedom to walk the streets without getting mugged).

Old 08-29-2009, 05:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

English is an official language of Hong Kong. All street signs are in English, taxi drivers speak English (probably no worse than NYC taxi drivers), and English is the preferred language in the HK business community. I don't speak one lick of Cantonese but have NEVER had any problems communicating with anyone in HK.

In addition, Hong Kong is not communist. Yes, it's owned by China, but it's far from being communist. In many respects HongKongers enjoy more personal freedoms than do New Yorkers (certainly the freedom to keep more of your own money and the freedom to walk the streets without getting mugged).

And all of that can be changed overnight.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes, Hong Kong does have a lot of what you call "bland terrible stucco buildings" although it's concrete, not stucco. But how is that any uglier than the miles upon miles of ugly, soulless, Soviet-looking apartment blocks found all over NYC?
Everyplace had ugly architecture but a particular poster was under the very wrong impression that HK had better architecture than NYC. Hell no. Unless you are blind. And who brought up architecture? Not me.

Quote:

HK is very communist compared to NYC/US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City