Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta? I would say Dallas. Both developed over roughly the same period, both have their wealthier neighborhoods on the north side and less affluent on the south side. Each Atlanta neighborhood seems to have a counterpart located in roughly the same compass direction from downtown.
University Park = Buckhead, Brookhaven
Highland Park = Morningside, Druid Hills
Richardson = Dunwoody
and so on.
I agree. I lived in Atlanta (Gwinnett) for 7 years before moving back home to the DFW area. The cities pretty much mirror eachother.

Even the southsides of both cities are similar;

Duncanville = College Park
Cedar Hill = Fayetteville
Lancaster = Lithonia
South Oak Cliff = Ellenwood
Garland = Decatur??? (This matchup is a stretch, The Dec is awesome)

Atlanta is Dallas but with taller trees and a larger Black population.

Last edited by First24; 09-02-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM

167 posts, read 435,149 times
I currently live in Long Beach and the city that always reminds me of LBC is Oakland. Both are mid-size cities in the shadow of bigger, more cosmopolitan cities, both are very diverse in terms of number of languages spoken hear, and both are great cities unlike some false generalizations that both cities are totally gang infested.

As for LA where I grew up I can't really think of many cities that are similar. Many on this site say its like Houston or Atlanta, but LA is more than just pollution, traffic, and sprawl. LA as an economy and a tourist destination is more diverse and more desired location for tourist. And the city is much bigger in population and land which makes it a more dynamic city than any other sunbelt city. On this thread I've heard people say LA is like Seoul or Mexico City and I'll take their word for it because I've never been to either city. Plus the fact that all three are more international cities certainly helps. Heck LA and Mexico City are official sister cities and LA is home to the largest korean community outside of Asia. More of evidence of an LA-Seoul connection is that Korean Air is planning on buildng an office and hotel complex in Downtown. Korean Air, Thomas Plan $1 Billion L.A. Office, Hotel Complex - Bloomberg.com

Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't see how London, Tokyo and NYC have anything in common...they're apart of the Big 3-4 cities in the world, but they all look completely different and have completely different styles.
I had to edit my post because I freaked out lol. Yeah I don't see anything that similar between them either.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
I agree. I lived in Atlanta (Gwinnett) for 7 years before moving back home to the DFW area. The cities pretty much mirror each other.

Ive spent lots of time in Atlanta too. Ive worked there many times and my Ex was from Doraville.

Culturally they might be different. As you mentioned Atlanta has a much larger African American population and Dallas has a much larger Latino population, so that does have an effect on the culture.

But Im amazed at how the cities (the way they are designed and the things they offer) really are similar.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Ive spent lots of time in Atlanta too. Ive worked there many times and my Ex was from Doraville.

Culturally they might be different. As you mentioned Atlanta has a much larger African American population and Dallas has a much larger Latino population, so that does have an effect on the culture.

But Im amazed at how the cities (the way they are designed and the things they offer) really are similar.
This is true; but Metro Atlanta has a booming Latino population mainly in Gwinnett County. The cultural identity of the area is changing fast.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.starks View Post
the only cities with a high frenetic pace

i haven't seen an american city come close (and i think london is slower of the 3)
Yea, I suppose they're all fast-paced cities, but you can't really look at New York City and say "hey that reminds me of London/Tokyo"....except for maybe Times Sq, Picadilly, Shibu-ya (I may have that wrong).

Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
This is true; but Metro Atlanta has a booming Latino population mainly in Gwinnett County. The cultural identity of the area is changing fast.
That may be true, but the Latino population in Metro Atlanta is still a far cry from what it is in DFW. Numerically, its not growing quite as fast there. Dallas county alone got 250,000 new Latinos between 2000 and 2006. The Atlanta MSA has about 150,000 foreign born Mexicans which translates into about 450,000 for the metro area (I mention them because they are the lagest Latino group there). Atlanta does have more Brazilians than DFW but still only about 15,000.

The difference comes on a percentage level. Atlantas latino group was traditionally small and its become a decent size. So I can see where the culture would be altered a little bit.

African Americans are to Atlanta what Latinos are to Dallas.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Really no city is like Houston. It's too unique and has no identity.
Some of Houston's older suburbs do remind me of those of New Orleans/Metairie and Mobile.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 22,708 times
Cleveland,

Baltimore, and unfortunately Detroit.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
I agree. I lived in Atlanta (Gwinnett) for 7 years before moving back home to the DFW area. The cities pretty much mirror eachother.

Even the southsides of both cities are similar;

Duncanville = College Park
Cedar Hill = Fayetteville
Lancaster = Lithonia
South Oak Cliff = Ellenwood
Garland = Decatur??? (This matchup is a stretch, The Dec is awesome)

Yep, pretty much.
True that Garland is in about the same geographic position relative to downtown as is Decatur (6 mi ENE).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City