Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times

Advertisements

Dallas and Houston are not even the top cultural places in Texas so why should it rank in the top 10 in the U.S.? San Antonio and Austin are light years ahead of Houston and Dallas when it comes to culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Dallas and Houston are not even the top cultural places in Texas so why should it rank in the top 10 in the U.S.? San Antonio and Austin are light years ahead of Houston and Dallas when it comes to culture.
Yeah because Houston's Museum District attracts over 8.7 million a year for absolutely nothing. Lets not even talk about the cultureless Theatre District. I just love visiting all the historic and culture filled museums in Austin. Nothing more cultured than partying on a street with a bunch of drunk wannabe liberals.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah because Houston's Museum District attracts over 8.7 million a year for absolutely nothing. Lets not even talk about the cultureless Theatre District. I just love visiting all the historic and culture filled museums in Austin. Nothing more cultured than partying on a street with a bunch of drunk wannabe liberals.
That doesn't make us special. Other cities have a museum and theater district.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
It's a difference between museums and World-Class museums. The Dr. Pepper museum in Waco isn't on the same level as the Menil Collection in Houston. These districts are ranked above the best in the country. I understand you think Houston not belonging on the list ,but to actually have the nerve to say Austin and San Antonio have more culture than Dallas and Houston????? lol

Old 09-07-2009, 04:13 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
I agree with jluke...Houston's Museum District does indeed have an international reputation IMO.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's a difference between museums and World-Class museums. The Dr. Pepper museum in Waco isn't on the same level as the Menil Collection in Houston. These districts are ranked above the best in the country. I understand you think Houston not belonging on the list ,but to actually have the nerve to say Austin and San Antonio have more culture than Dallas and Houston????? lol
Did I say the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco was on the same scale as the museum district in Houston? lol

There are many many museum districts across the country that have just as good if not better museum districts than what we have.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I agree with jluke...Houston's Museum District does indeed have an international reputation IMO.
I enjoy living in Houston and experiencing everything it has to offer but I just don't see what anyone out of state would care much for here.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
I enjoy living in Houston and experiencing everything it has to offer but I just don't see what anyone out of state would care much for here.

You're the exact opposite from most forum posters. They think what you can find in NYC you can find it Houston.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I wonder if they did city propers or metros.....
metros (including city proper, of course)...

Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
Well The Central Arts District in DT Dallas is all apparently tourist infested. It's the largest CAD in the US and maybe the world?
Either way, I wasn't surprised to see Dallas because the NY times did a "top (some number) must see places in the world"
and Dallas was like number 30.
I was like WHOA.
but that's the only reason Dallas is up there, plus the State Fair...? Plus FT Stockyard? and do House hunters count as tourists?
Because other that, Dallas is nothing worth traveling across the country (or the world) over.
Except the horse statue in Las Colinas, biggest equestrian statue in the world. Not that anyone should really care... because I sure don't. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City