Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 AM

13,357 posts, read 39,999,844 times

Advertisements

The Society of American Travel Writers just came out with their list of the top 10 cities in North America for listening to live music:
  1. New Orleans
  2. New York City
  3. Austin
  4. Nashville
  5. Chicago
  6. Memphis
  7. Montréal
  8. Las Vegas
  9. Branson MO
  10. Denver

I'm not really surprised at the list except for Denver. But then again I can't really think of a city that should be ranked instead of Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,833,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The Society of American Travel Writers just came out with their list of the top 10 cities in North America for listening to live music:
  1. New Orleans
  2. New York City
  3. Austin
  4. Nashville
  5. Chicago
  6. Memphis
  7. Montréal
  8. Las Vegas
  9. Branson MO
  10. Denver

I'm not really surprised at the list except for Denver. But then again I can't really think of a city that should be ranked instead of Denver.
Nice list that sums it up for me

Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 AM

258 posts, read 1,035,843 times
Ummmm... depends on what kind of music you are into.

Hardcore hands down is Boston, Mass

Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,550,945 times
what's Branson? is that like part of St. Louis or something?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,307,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
what's Branson? is that like part of St. Louis or something?
It's a town in southwestern Missouri, somewhere in the Ozarks. I never been, but from what I've gathered it's like a country version of Vegas. More family friendly though. Lots of theatres and entertainment.

On The Simpsons, it was once referred to as "it's just like Vegas, except if it was run by Ned Flanders."

Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeCity View Post

Do they still have actual hardcore shows? And not a bunch of feminine boys with eye liner playing bad metal like most cities now a days.

And Branson? Do they have a variety of music or just those cheesy vegas type shows?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 AM

258 posts, read 1,035,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Do they still have actual hardcore shows? And not a bunch of feminine boys with eye liner playing bad metal like most cities now a days.

And Branson? Do they have a variety of music or just those cheesy vegas type shows?
Old school hardcore is bands like Slapshot, American Nightmare, Blood for blood, and HAVE HEART.

example ) http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/IansPhotology/Hardcore_Show-1.jpg (broken link)

You are thinking of that metalcore bull... (DISGRACE)

example ) http://fancore.files.wordpress.com/2...rk_version.jpg

Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
  1. New Orleans
  2. New York City
  3. Austin
  4. Nashville
  5. Chicago
  6. Memphis
  7. Montréal
  8. Las Vegas
  9. Branson MO
  10. Denver
Perhaps I will google this up and see what they used for their criteria. It is kind of like trying to rank the best "fruit". How can you compare watermelons to kiwis? How can you compare NYC to Branson? They must be using some innocuous statistic like "number of people at performances" or "number of shows per year" or something like that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,396 times
Quote:
Old school hardcore is bands like Slapshot, American Nightmare, Blood for blood, and HAVE HEART.

example ) http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/IansPhotology/Hardcore_Show-1.jpg (broken link)

You are thinking of that metalcore bull... (DISGRACE)

example ) http://fancore.files.wordpress.com/2...rk_version.jpg
yea, but do bands like that play out anymore? I rarely go to shows anymore because everything got sissified so I'm not in the loop.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,539,388 times
Quote:

lol was just about to say that... those certainly would not be my picks!
Quote:

I'll give you one... its called Los Angeles. not a single city from the entire west coast on this list... looks like trash to me.

They should stick to writing about their travels and let somebody from a music staff do that part of the research ;o

okay okay... now I get it... I did my *own* research.

SOCIETY OF AMERICAN TRAVEL WRITERS ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
7044 SOUTH 13 ST OAK CREEK, WI 53154 USA

no offense to wisconsin people... love your beer/brats/cheese and hey, milwaukee is a pretty good place for live music itself... I certainly prefer summer fest there that you run right along side the taste of chicago

Last edited by grapico; 09-07-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City