Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times

Advertisements

I think based on METRO and things to do IN and OUTSIDE the city limits it should be
1. LA
2. NYC
3. SF
4. MIA(From West Palm to Miami there is plenty to do)
5. CHI
6. HOU
7. ATL
8. DAL
9. PHI
10.ORL
Anyone in accordance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think based on METRO and things to do IN and OUTSIDE the city limits it should be
1. LA
2. NYC
3. SF
4. MIA(From West Palm to Miami there is plenty to do)
5. CHI
6. HOU
7. ATL
8. DAL
9. PHI
10.ORL
Anyone in accordance?
Pretty good Polo. I think Chicago, with its theatre, museums and a big 5 orchestra (sort of like a smaller NYC) should move up to number 3. I also like that you mentioned Orlando.

One thing I am totally unsure of is whether Boston should replace Philadelphia. The fact that the Boston area has so many colleges means it probably has a ton of bars and clubs. Maybe not everyones idea of quality entertainment but it still might be a factor.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Pretty good Polo. I think Chicago, with its theatre, museums and a big 5 orchestra (sort of like a smaller NYC) should move up to number 3. I also like that you mentioned Orlando.

One thing I am totally unsure of is whether Boston should replace Philadelphia. The fact that the Boston area has so many colleges means it probably has a ton of bars and clubs. Maybe not everyones idea of quality entertainment but it still might be a factor.
Thank you. And I agree maybe Chicago should move up. I forgot about Boston, I figured it was either Boston or, Orlando. And I thought of the numerous theme parks, and places of intrest outside of Orlando's city-limits and I couldn't pass Orlando up. But I don't know if Boston should replace Philly, maybe Orlando, but not Philly. Because of it's location in South Jersey close to other Jersey cities and places of intrest in South Jersey. I thought of the King Of Prussia, and other factors. I don't know it's quite confusing. When I went to Philly I was impressed.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 PM

110 posts, read 101,646 times
Atlanta is higher than Boston, Philly and SF? Thanks for the laugh Forbes

Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
Absolutely. If you feel you have been personally wronged or slighted because other people that have actually lived in your hometowns have dared express their personal opinions about them (what arrogance!), by all means now is your time to set things right in front of the world!
Fight the Good fight!
Well, I certainly don't see it as personal; I would have to have the emotional IQ of a 17 y.o. to do that. But I have little tolerance for 'personal opinions' when the poster offers nothing to back them up but hearsay.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
I love listening to people argue about Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston.

Ive spent time in all three and I think all three are fun cities. But they arent like Vegas, Miami, LA, or NYC. The difference is that I wouldnt plan a trip to Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta just to party, however, when you are in those cities, you will definately not be bored for one moment with the night life. Atlanta and Houston has some of the best Hip hop clubs in the country and Dallas has some of the best techno/trance clubs Ive been to outside Miami and LA.

I can see where Dallas and Atlanta would make the list. Both very fun very crazy cities after dark! The only reason I can see them getting the edge over Houston is that the clubs in Houston are more spread out, where as clubs in Dallas and Atlanta are closer together so its easier to get from one to another.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:03 AM

672 posts, read 1,790,509 times
This list absolutely fails if you asked me.

For SF, it's using stats from just 1/2 of the SF Bay Area, using the MSA instead of CSA. The Bay Area is one Metro no matter what anyone tells me.

It even gets that wrong by saying there are just 3 major sports teams when there are really 5 in the MSA. (2 in SF, 3 in Oakland).

I guess #9 in the country is not that bad, for 1/2 a Metro.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 AM

179 posts, read 402,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Los Angleles
4. Miami (tie)
4. Washington D.C(tie)
6. Atlanta
7. Boston (tie)
7. Philadelphia(tie)
9. San Francisco
10. Dallas

America's Most Entertaining Cities - Forbes.com
I'd say
1. New York
2. LA
3. Las Vegas
4. Miami
5. Chicago
6. San Francisco
7. DC
8. Atlanta
9. Philadelphia
10. Boston

Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM

179 posts, read 402,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'd put LA metro at #1. Just for the sheer amount of things to do outside of the LA city limits:Santa Monica, Disneyland, Venice Beach, Long Beach, Catalina Island, OC, Malibu, Universal Studios which is more then just a theme park, it has TV studios and live recordings(It's in Universal City not LA City limits), Snow Skiing in San Berbardino Mountains, or the San Gabriel Mountains, or hiking, there is just SOOO much to do inside and OUTSIDE the LA city limits. That's why I think LA should be #1.
Yea I'm sure. But at the same time there's a lot to do outside New York's city limits. The Hamptons, Six Flags Great Adventure, Woodbury Commons Outlet, Adirondacks Skiing, Poconos Skiing, whitewater rafting, state parks etc. etc. And because of the sheer number of things to do within the city itself, not just Manhattan - even Queens/Brooklyn etc., I'd give NY metro the boost or at least a tie with the LA metro.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Philly actually has nearly triple the amount of college students as Boston, now add Cambridge and they are pretty close. But in all honesty and this is in no slight against Boston, Philly to me has a lot more going on overall, especially the bar and restaurant scene, and i always enjoy boston but that aspect alone to me coupled with similar arts offerings would put Philly above

i actually would put both Boston and Philly ahead of DC, Smithsonian is great and there are some fun neighborhoods but believe the latter two would be more vibrant overall

On LA it is hard to compare because so many of the neighborhoods are so spread out. it is pretty hard to easily move from Santa monica to the strip etc.

and on Miami, outside of Miami beach and South Beach, downtown is ok but no where the same level as many others listed. i guess i always think of Miami beach and South Beach as more of getaway, but do realize people live there. Though no city in the country can match the beaches of miami, sorry Cali

Also agree on chicago - great city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City