Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
No one in the US really counts Asians in the same type of minority category as Hispanics or Blacks, who've faced some of the largest adversity in US history. Having a lot of Asians doesn't count as "full of minorities" As a black person, I find that insinuation insulting.

LA, NYC, and Chicago have large amounts of poor minorities who've been persecuted throughout US history.

You would be speaking from ignorance... Asians in the Bay Area - particularly Chinese and Japanese - faced very extreme adversity in the recent past. In present day, SE Asians are marginalized in the Bay Area along with latinos and blacks... your implication that there's no poor Asians is a joke. Poor Cambodians, Vietnamese, Filipinos, etc. live in the same hoods that poor blacks and latinos do over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 AM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You would be speaking from ignorance... Asians in the Bay Area - particularly Chinese and Japanese - faced very extreme adversity in the recent past. In present day, SE Asians are marginalized in the Bay Area along with latinos and blacks... your insinuation that there's no poor asians is a joke. Poor Cambodians, Vietnamese, etc. live in the same hoods that poor blacks and latinos do over here.
Just because a small minority of Asians are poor doesn't mean that their struggles suddenly can even begin to compare to a Black person's struggle for acceptance in society.

The vast majority of Asians in the United States are well to do and rich. It's not very hard for alternative cities to accept them because for the most part, they are de-facto white people already.

Sure, some Japanese were thrown in internment camps. Sure, some Chinese were unfairly treated. However, that doesn't nearly compare to 300 years of slavery, nor do the Asian children nowadays have to go through the same indignities as a Black child does nowadays.

To us on the East Coast, Asians really are only 1/2 to 1/4 of a minority that Blacks and Hispanics are

Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Just because a small minority of Asians are poor doesn't mean that their struggles suddenly can even begin to compare to a Black person's struggle for acceptance in society.
I didn't say it did. For that matter, the latino struggle isn't as bad as the black struggle here either. You just made the claim that there was no struggle for asians in the US though, and I'm pointing out just how wrong you are.

Quote:
The vast majority of Asians in the United States are well to do and rich.
False.

Quote:
It's not very hard for alternative cities to accept them because for the most part, they are de-facto white people already.
False.

Quote:
Sure, some Japanese were thrown in internment camps. Sure, some Chinese were unfairly treated. However, that doesn't nearly compare to 300 years of slavery, nor do the Asian children nowadays have to go through the same indignities as a Black person.
You'd do well to speak on a subject you know a little more about... This isn't one of them. Do you understand that Chinese were regularly lynched in the Bay Area until the early 1900's? Do you understand that Asians were seen no better than blacks in the Bay until after WWII? Obviously you don't.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
You would be speaking from ignorance... Asians in the Bay Area - particularly Chinese and Japanese - faced very extreme adversity in the recent past. In present day, SE Asians are marginalized in the Bay Area along with latinos and blacks... your implication that there's no poor Asians is a joke. Poor Cambodians, Vietnamese, Filipinos, etc. live in the same hoods that poor blacks and latinos do over here.
I know in the Twin Cities Hmong (SE Asians) are poorer than blacks or Latinos.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:

To us on the East Coast, Asians really are only 1/2 to 1/4 of a minority that Blacks and Hispanics are
The more I read comments like this on C-D, the more I appreciate living in Oakland.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
I didn't say it did. For that matter, the latino struggle isn't as bad as the black struggle here either. You just made the claim that there was no struggle for asians in the US though, and I'm pointing out just how wrong you are.
Latinos still struggle way more than Asians do. Yes, Asians struggle in the US, but so do white people, doesn't make the Asian struggle equal to what a real minority has to go through in the United States everyday.

Quote:
You'd do well to speak on a subject you know a little more about... This isn't one of them. Do you understand that Chinese were regularly lynched in the Bay Area until the early 1900's? Do you understand that Asians were seen no better than blacks in the Bay until after WWII? Obviously you don't.
Do cops stop Chinese people nowadays for no reason?
Do Japanese people get randomly thrown in jail for no reason?
Are Koreans disproportinately poor?

You'll get an idea where I'm going with this.

There's a reason why most people in the US think San Francisco is a majority white city.

Quote:
The more I read comments like this on C-D, the more I appreciate living in Oakland.
Was there something false about what I said? I'm just speaking from my experiences dealing with Blacks and Latinos vs. Asians.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 PM

133 posts, read 236,471 times
Oakland & Jersey City.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 49,411 times
Houston?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most of your typical "liberal" cities like San Francisco and Seattle are very tolerant of alternative lifestyles but are also some of the whitest major cities in the country. I would say Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York are probably the three top cities for racial diversity and tolerance.
San Francisco is about 32% Asian. It is only about 45% White. The rest made up of other minorities.

What gives you the impression that SF is a "White" city?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Quote:
San Francisco is far from being the whitest major city in the country. It's less white than LA and under 5% whiter than either Chicago or New York City.

While I agree that LA and NYC are the two most diverse big cities (500,000+) in the country, by what metric are they the most racially tolerant? IMO SF is clearly better than LA in that department.
Heh, no. SF is 'whiter' than LA for sure and I'm pretty sure than NYC or Chicago. Where are you getting your info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City