Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
No one in the US really counts Asians in the same type of minority category as Hispanics or Blacks, who've faced some of the largest adversity in US history. Having a lot of Asians doesn't count as "full of minorities" As a black person, I find that insinuation insulting.

LA, NYC, and Chicago have large amounts of poor minorities who've been persecuted throughout US history.
So a minority is only a minority if they are poor?, what are you smoking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 PM

637 posts, read 1,016,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Heh, no. SF is 'whiter' than LA for sure and I'm pretty sure than NYC or Chicago. Where are you getting your info?
I'm also pretty sure that "45% White" is not "overwhelmingly white" either. Unless I'm missing something.

LA is 48% Hispanic, but yet its thrown out here as some multicultural entrepot.

Quote:
So a minority is only a minority if they are poor?, what are you smoking
If you aren't Black or Latino, it would be hard to understand. Asians don't have to go through the same day by day pains as us.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I'm also pretty sure that "45% White" is not "overwhelmingly white" either. Unless I'm missing something.

LA is 48% Hispanic, but yet its thrown out here as some multicultural entrepot.

If you aren't Black or Latino, it would be hard to understand. Asians don't have to go through the same day by day pains as us.
Who built the trans-continental railway through the Rockies?,the Asians

Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Who built the trans-continental railway through the Rockies?,the Asians
No, the Irish built it through the Rockies. The Chinese only got up to Utah.

And again, what does that have to do with the day to day life of a Black or Latino person? The descendants of those Chinese railway workers are now thriving in the US, while the descendants of slaves are still suffering.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
I'm not going by statistics but my impressions from being in both cities. SF struck me as a very white/asian city with some blacks/latinos here and there. LA is much more diverse than that. For that matter I think NYC and Chicago are too.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I'm not going by statistics but my impressions from being in both cities. SF struck me as a very white/asian city with some blacks/latinos here and there. LA is much more diverse than that. For that matter I think NYC and Chicago are too.
LA much more diverse, when 48% of the population is Hispanic with a huge majority of them being Mexican over a demographic of 45% and dwindling.

Ok then. We all learn something new on CD everyday.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most of your typical "liberal" cities like San Francisco and Seattle are very tolerant of alternative lifestyles but are also some of the whitest major cities in the country. I would say Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York are probably the three top cities for racial diversity and tolerance.

Those three cities and tolerance should not be uttered in the same sentence.

New York- where an unarmed african immigrant gets shot like 50 times by cops and no body blinks.

LA- Just see the movie crash, it really is not that far off. That's why the Mehserle trail was sent all the way down there for a change of venue. They knew he'd get the minimum sentence in LA.

Chicago-self explanitory. The only tolerance there is with alderman of different groups who agree to pool together for the sake of the machine. They have like Rogers Park and Oak Park, but outside of that I really don't see a lot of co-mingling outside of the work place there the way you do in Northern Ca.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Those three cities and tolerance should not be uttered in the same sentence.

New York- where an unarmed african immigrant gets shot like 50 times by cops and no body blinks.

LA- Just see the movie crash, it really is not that far off

Chicago-self explanitory
yes, Los Angeles had 60s-70s esque race roits in 1992.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
yes, Los Angeles had 60s-70s esque race roits in 1992.

Unless asians, whites, and latinos, participated in the 1960's riots, your comment is basically way off. 1990's riots were a whole different ballgame, which also involved the paradigm of Latino vs white, anti conformist(sublime made a song about "participating in anarchy" when making a song about the riots) vs establishment, korean vs black, etc.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are better than any spot in the West IMO
Report: Houston most ethnically diverse large city in U.S. - Houston Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City