Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 PM

28 posts, read 69,561 times

Advertisements

My choices for the four most racially tolerant cities are:

1. Los Angeles

2. San Francisco

3. Sacramento

4. New York

It might surprise some folks people that L.A. was my top pick. I lived there for many years (am about to return) and while a city without race issues does not exist, Los Angeles, out of all of the cities I have lived in, is most tolerant of differences - regardless of what they are. Money is more important than race in L.A. Live there for some years and you'll see what I mean.

In addition, there are more ethnic groups represented in Los Angeles than any other city in the world. Consider that for a minute. In terms of diversity, L.A. even beats New York. I dated women of different races in L.A. and never had any problems. The girl I came close to marrying (we dated for four years) was white - also, no problems at all. If you are a clean-cut black man in L.A., you can go as far

you want to go in your chosen field. Is L.A. perfect in this regard? Absolutely not. But it was the best city I lived in with regard to race relations.

San Francisco is also not perfect, but I found people there to be very, very open-minded. The city has a reputation for being very liberal, and it certainly is. But S.F. could not be my top choice because I did not find there to be a high number of affluent blacks in the city.

What a lot of people do not know about Sacramento is that it is a very diverse city. Whites are really not so much of a majority there, as there are so many different ethnic groups living there, owing to the city's reasonable (at least by CA standards) cost of living. There are many, many mixed-race people in the city and it truly is a veritable melting pot.

New York is, of course, a very diverse city as well, but it is also very sectionalized. How many affluent minorites do you see in Manhattan? The city is very divided. I know that some will argue that L.A. is divided too, but there are many more affluent minorities in every part of L.A., while in NY, this is not the case.

Okay, I know that people will disagree...I welcome it and look forward to reading your responses.

Neptuneaus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
how is LA racially tolerant? lol

being brown, i didn't feel all that secure...i felt like a 2nd class citizen and i'm not spanish, but i'm dark skinned. and orange county is like massachusetts by a cali beach.

LA & Miami are the worst cities to be "brown" or "black"

lol @ tolerant....lol @ message boards

Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Los Angeles???? Blacks and Mexicans are getting shot simply for being their race and being on the wrong street, regardless if they are criminal gang bangers or just innocent civilians that happen to be passing by or minding their own business doing whatever.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
thank you!!

racially tolerant my a##

i was accosted in Manhattan & CT for looking muslim. racial tolerence lol
i'm sure SF/Auston/Sac is just as bad.... actaully, i think the most open racist acts occurr in cities/metro areas with the biggest number
of minorities....London & Paris come to mind

Old 09-12-2009, 04:00 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Agreed starks. I do not think the bay area is really tolerant at all either. They love to pretend they are. But everyone fits into a nice neat category segregated from each other. Poor blacks stay in south east sf, oakland, or east palo alto, or stockton, mexicans in south hayward, fuitvale in Oakland, newark, east san jose.

Sacramento is true diverstiy, integration, and coexitance.

Look at these two high schools racial make up. You dont really find too many schools like this in the bay area or the country. Their Api is a 7 meaning they do better than AT LEAST 60 percent of the other high schools in Ca

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/.../4713#students

Same goes for this school

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/.../4715#students

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 09-12-2009 at 04:08 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 11:15 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
.... actaully, i think the most open racist acts occurr in cities/metro areas with the biggest number
of minorities....London & Paris come to mind
And there are more waves in an ocean than a prairie too.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:55 AM

459 posts, read 1,036,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Racially tolerant? Probably either Houston, Seattle, Portland or Raleigh

Overall liberal? Definitely Portland
How can the whitest big cities in the country (Portland/Seattle) be considered racially tolerant?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Most tolerant: NYC, SF, LA

Least tolerant: Chicago, Detroit
Isn't SF strictly white and Asian?

Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM

Surprised no one has said Boston is the most racist city. I lived there, and do not think that its the most racist city, but thats the rep it has.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:25 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
NONE OF THEM.

We've got a lot of work to do America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City