Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Honolulu feels and looks like a big urban city despite only having about 900K in the metro area.

How many cities with less than 400K and a metro area less than 1 million have this much density?
Nice picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 01:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESMOU View Post
Yeah, but how many of those are hotels?
A lot of those towers are hotels, not as many as are condo towers though. What does it matter?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:27 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Outside of downtown Hawaii, it's pretty rural though.. that's why it's so dense
Haha you obviously haven't been/lived there. Hawaii refers to the STATE or the BIG ISLAND. Honolulu is city within the state of Hawaii on the island of Oahu.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
I remember Dallas feeling very suburban. And even downtown was creepily devoid of foot traffic on a Saturday.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Haha you obviously haven't been/lived there. Hawaii refers to the STATE or the BIG ISLAND. Honolulu is city within the state of Hawaii on the island of Oahu.
Honolulu (city/county) technically is the island of Oʻahu.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:21 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
Trying to understand the title of this thread gave me a serious headache.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:59 PM

294 posts, read 782,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Man, Honolulu looks nice in that pic up above! Hang on here . . . gotta take a minute to check and see when the next flight there leaves!

Regarding the quoted post, interesting that you list Boston and Atlanta. There was a thread here a while back which posed the question which of those two cities felt larger. I wouldn't recommend slogging through that entire thread. Sprinkled through the thread is a little bit of discussion about what makes a city seem big, but for those nuggets of discussion about that broader subject you go through an awful lot of back and forth which basically says over and over either that Atlanta seems bigger because it sprawls on for about a thousand miles before you hit rural countryside or that Boston feels bigger because it is densely built and active in its urban center. One interesting point that thread made clear, though, is that there is a lot of individual difference when it comes to personal perception about whether a city feels large or small.

Interesting that in the quoted post Lancer78 lists Boston as a city that seems larger than it is. I live near Boston and have often heard people say that Boston feels smaller than it really is. Nothing wrong with the fact that this runs counter to Lancer's suggestion because again there's that matter of differences in personal perception. I get the impression that people who feel that Boston is smaller than it is have that sense because of the fact that Boston is very much an old-style city that had much of its growth before the automobile age. All of Boston's major amenities are packed into a compact central area. A lot of people think of those few square miles as Boston in its entirety. They are largely unaware of the amount of territory covered by the outlying residential neighborhoods because the city's attractions are so heavily concentrated in that small central area that there is little reason for most people who don't live in those outlying sections ever to go there.

The first city I usually think of as an example of a small city that seems larger than it is, is Portland, Maine. Here are links to a few photos:

File:PWM2a.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FileowntownPortlandMe1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:TheOldPort.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

//www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv17437.php

//www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv8593.php

//www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc12486.php

//www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv13637.php

//www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc15245.php

File:PortlandMEskyview.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FileowntownPortlandMe3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Portland does not really seem like a big city. Some say it seems more like a large town. Still, the city's population is only about 65k. Maybe some of the pictures above will give an idea why Portland, while not seeming like a really big city, still always impresses me as looking and feeling substantially larger than it is.

Most likely, one reason that Portland always comes to mind first when I think of cities that look and feel bigger than they are is that the first time I saw Portland, about fifteen years ago, when I saw how much more of a city Portland looked like than I had expected based on its population, this was the first time that I began to consider the effect of metro area population on the apparent size of a city. Because I associate Portland with that moment of epiphany, this little city always stands out in my mind when I think about this matter of why cities seem large or small. The Portland metro area population is approx. 500k, not huge but still large enough so that Portland serves a much larger population than the relatively small numbers within its official city limits would indicate. The presence of the number of buildings, stores, and facilities, and the infrastructure to support a population of several hundred thousand is most likely the reason that Portland seems bigger than the large town that its city-proper population would lead one to expect.
Boston does seem smaller than Atlanta although Boston is a lot more busy.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Fort Worth, TX. Its a pretty big city, yet it feels like a small town.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
San Jose, California is now 10th largest city in America, population close to a million, and it sure doesn't look or act it. It's even bigger than nearby San Francisco, and that's a city that seems bigger than what it is.

While we're on the subject of California cities, I think Fresno and Bakersfield look small-townish for their size. Both of them depend a lot on agriculture so they really are not much more than big rural towns.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Someone said Phoenix seems smaller than what it is. I agree. I moved there 13 years ago and it barely seemed like a mid-sized city back then but the population was approaching a million.

It has changed a lot though, mostly for the better but the politics are still as backward as ever. We got Nickelbag Joe Arpaio, and a police force that loves photo cameras catching speeders more than catching real crooks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City