Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:57 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Cities that feel small and rural:
Indianapolis
Oklahoma City
Jacksonville
Knoxville
Virginia Beach

Cities that feel larger:
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
Wilmington
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 05:24 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
I would say columbus oh is the smallest biggest city i been in. Really seems like a small town but its a big city. And ill say charleston sc is a small town but feels like you are in a place much bigger than it is. It has alot of amminites as a big city

Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 AM

102 posts, read 117,713 times
Nine pages and only one (from what I saw) mention of Oklahoma City?

Population (2013)-610,613

Metro-1,459,758

It's the biggest small town in the US. Nearby Tulsa, with a population of around 400k, feels more happening than OKC

Old 05-13-2016, 08:41 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Portland does not really seem like a big city. Some say it seems more like a large town. Still, the city's population is only about 65k. Maybe some of the pictures above will give an idea why Portland, while not seeming like a really big city, still always impresses me as looking and feeling substantially larger than it is.

Most likely, one reason that Portland always comes to mind first when I think of cities that look and feel bigger than they are is that the first time I saw Portland, about fifteen years ago, when I saw how much more of a city Portland looked like than I had expected based on its population, this was the first time that I began to consider the effect of metro area population on the apparent size of a city. Because I associate Portland with that moment of epiphany, this little city always stands out in my mind when I think about this matter of why cities seem large or small. The Portland metro area population is approx. 500k, not huge but still large enough so that Portland serves a much larger population than the relatively small numbers within its official city limits would indicate. The presence of the number of buildings, stores, and facilities, and the infrastructure to support a population of several hundred thousand is most likely the reason that Portland seems bigger than the large town that its city-proper population would lead one to expect.
Portland is mostly jutted out on that peninsula. What's there has to be dense because there's not much space. I was very impressed with it as well.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
Nine pages and only one (from what I saw) mention of Oklahoma City?

Population (2013)-610,613

Metro-1,459,758

It's the biggest small town in the US. Nearby Tulsa, with a population of around 400k, feels more happening than OKC
This is spot on. I would say it feels like a city of 150,000 with a metro of about 500,000. Wichita, Amarillo, and maybe Little Rock or even Springfield MO are good comparisons. Omaha, Tulsa, and Albuquerque are a notch above OKC. It's true peers i.e. Memphis, Louisville, and Richmond feel a good 2-3 tiers above OKC. It really is mind-blowing how far OKC punches below its weight. Phoenix is a good large city comparison but it is also large enough to have a decent amount of amenities even if it isn't quite on the level of other 4 million metros.

Last edited by bawac34618; 05-13-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-13-2016, 10:17 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is spot on. I would say it feels like a city of 150,000 with a metro of about 500,000. Wichita, Amarillo, and maybe Little Rock or even Springfield MO are good comparisons. Omaha, Tulsa, and Albuquerque are a notch above OKC. It's true peers i.e. Memphis, Louisville, and Richmond feel a good 2-3 tiers above OKC. It really is mind-blowing how far OKC punches below its weight. Phoenix is a good large city comparison but it is also large enough to have a decent amount of amenities even if it isn't quite on the level of other 4 million metros.
Phoenix may not be up to the level of its peer cities but it does not feel like a "rural/small" big city.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:39 AM

538 posts, read 658,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
However, one reason I would live in OKC over any of those above metros: the Thunder. I can't watch Durant/Westbrook in any of those other markets.

Having a pro sports team is HUGE in OKCs favor.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:40 PM

114 posts, read 125,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I would say columbus oh is the smallest biggest city i been in. Really seems like a small town....

Old 05-13-2016, 02:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Phoenix may not be up to the level of its peer cities but it does not feel like a "rural/small" big city.
I think if Phoenix was as small as OKC, 1.4 million people, it would feel similar. However, its about three times that size and that really helps it feel a little more like a city. Phoenix has many of the same problems OKC does. OKC just doesn't have the population to be able to compensate for its issues.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Tucson is a "small" big city to a T. Haven't been to any other city that has felt this way before.

Phoenix is a "big" big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City