Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM

315 posts, read 666,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Gosh, and there are those who wonder why the pro-New York crowd is viewed as arrogant.
What is truly arrogant is when certain members of the "anti-NewYork/anti-big city" crowd resort to mudslinging and then criticize when the "New York" crowd retaliates. As if you guys were the innocent victims. Whatever. Go cry me a river.

As HudsonCounty said in another recent thread, both sides are equally guilty and singling out one side as the "bad guys" (when members of both sides are equally responsible) is dishonest and hypocritical. At least I am capable of admitting that both sides are at fault.

Arrogance is the "holier-than-thou" attitude coming from certain members of your camp.

Last edited by Lancer78; 10-01-2009 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
What is truly arrogant is when certain members of the "anti-NewYork/anti-big city" crowd resort to mudslinging and then criticize when the "New York" crowd retaliates. As if you guys were the innocent victims. Whatever. Go cry me a river.
Whoah there Sparky, I don't think I said anything anti-New York. I didn't even take a position on it. Might we be a little thin-skinned, perhaps?

At any rate, your response re: the Houston comment was uncalled for. And I'm no Houston apologist--I've never lived there, don't plan to, and don't know anyone who has. But this idea that people who don't want to live in NY simply prefer something inherently crummier is rubbish. There are any number of reasons people may choose to live somewhere else, and different cities work better for different people.

And I don't know who "my camp" is--unless it's the camp of those of us who are anti-arrogance, condescension and elitism. In which case, sure, consider me a member.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Whoah there Sparky, I don't think I said anything anti-New York. I didn't even take a position on it. Might we be a little thin-skinned, perhaps?
I see you rushed into your reply without reading what I actually wrote. I didn't say YOU specifically said something anti-NYC, although, based on your first response it seemed that you are another anti-NYC person. I said there are members from the anti-NYC crowd that do. This is a fact.

Quote:
At any rate, your response re: the Houston comment was uncalled for. And I'm no Houston apologist--I've never lived there, don't plan to, and don't know anyone who has. But this idea that people who don't want to live in NY simply prefer something inherently crummier is rubbish.
I didn't say crummier. I said "boring" and "cookie-cutter." It is unfortunate that you missed the original posts..

If you would have seen the post that jluke was replying to (which was conveniently and mysteriously erased..Maybe to cover stuff up ), you'd see that the poster originally was talking about how the vibrancy in NYC exceeds even that of London's, and was the most happening/exciting place he/she had ever visited. Jluke's response was (and I am paraphrasing)-- "this is why many people don't want to live in NYC."
So, in the context of his reply, it can be directly inferred that, according to jluke, many people prefer to live in quieter, less exciting places than NYC.. Which, although abrasive, my reply made perfect sense within that context.

Quote:
There are any number of reasons people may choose to live somewhere else, and different cities work better for different people.
Obviously. So what's the argument?
In the context of what was being discussed, people were specifically talking about excitement vs. lack thereof.

Quote:
And I don't know who "my camp" is--unless it's the camp of those of us who are anti-arrogance, condescension and elitism. In which case, sure, consider me a member
Well, so am I a member of the anti-arrogance camp. Which is why I am against the "holier-than-thou" attitude some people display.

This response suggests that you are neutral (with respect to the big city/NYC vs. laid back camps). If you truly are against anti-arrogance, condescension, and elitism, then you have got a lot of work cut out for you from the anti-NYC crowd as well, not just from the pro-NYC one. Neither side monopolizes the negative characteristics you mention.

Last edited by Lancer78; 10-01-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I see you rushed into your reply without reading what I actually wrote. I didn't say YOU specifically said something anti-NYC, although, based on your first response it seemed that you are another anti-NYC person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78
Arrogance is the "holier-than-thou" attitude coming from certain members of your camp.
Apology accepted.

And your powers of deduction must be absolutely extraordinary if you were able to gleam my feelings about the city of New York from my one-line response.

Quote:
I didn't say crummier. I said "boring" and "cookie-cutter." It is unfortunate that you missed the original posts..
No, I saw them, and my point remains the same.

Quote:
Obviously. So what's the argument?
You tell me--you were the one equating Houston with boring and cookie-cutter, not I.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
And your powers of deduction must be absolutely extraordinary if you were able to gleam my feelings about the city of New York from my one-line response.
What can I say? I am that good.

Quote:
Apology accepted.
No. Just clearing up your misunderstanding.

Quote:
No, I saw them, and my point remains the same.
Uh huh..Then you totally missed my point.

Last edited by Lancer78; 10-01-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
My friends comment in NYC when I visited 2 weeks ago when I brought up the fact that er city was ranked the #1 greatest city in the world was, "That kinda sucks, I mean its a cool city but I hope that this is not the best the world has to offer."

At first I took it as her slamming her city. The more I thought about it though, the more I could see that she just thought there were many ways in which her city could improve.

With that being said, congrats NYC. I'm glad that an American city took it.

I should follow up by saying, in what ways can we make NYC, and other American cities better?
well when you're at the top, you say stuff like that that might baffle somebody from another place.

with that said, i think two things about what your friend said.

1. many nyers take ny for granted; myself included. there are many things that we don't do at all or even think about whereas an outsider will hit up all of those places and do those things and get a completely different experience of our city than we do. we should try doing these things sometime.

2. NYC is the best but can be much better. we've lost our edge. our city is cookie cutter and the middle-no the lower middle/upper underclass are getting shoved out. ny after 1995 is great as far as lack of crime but ny from 95 and back had an edge that made us who we are, IMO. moving along, there are plenty of super talls and other projects that will make our city keep our title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

I should follow up by saying, in what ways can we make NYC, and other American cities better?
this is a completely different topic and deserves its own thread...i'm sure it'd be lengthy...you might want to start it?

Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
What can I say? I am that good.
If you say so, Lancer. Although evidence seems to point to the contrary.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
its a magazine...and it publishes in those cities... so it only had a few to pick from if it wanted to not **** off readership.
chicago and new york are the only 2 cities it publishes in for the u.s.

come on now...istanbul??? oh yeah...it publishes there...

and where is timeout the most selling? oh yeah...new york.

nyc is def a candidate for #1...but this entire list is bogus with clear bias.
same with the other ones.
I know timeout very well and no, Time Out's #1 readership is London, and Time Out is headquartered in the UK. Time Out publishes in ALL major/popular cities so did you expect them to name some shantytown in Somalia "best"? Of course one of their cities would be the BEST because they cover all the fascinating cities! Also TimeOut Chicago also has more readers than Time Out Berlin and Time Out Paris combined, but these two still beat it.

I dont think there is such thing as best city anyway but anything that doesn't rank your city at top isn't bias.

Last edited by pravda.; 12-05-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,860 times
Best of the rest…of the world - Time Out New York

#11 San Francisco
#12 (tie) Madrid
#12 (tie) Beijing
#16 Buenos Aires
#20 Los Angeles
#25 Mumbai

Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,173 times
NYC & Chicago!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City