Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City For Accountants?
New York City 8 32.00%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Chicago 5 20.00%
Houston 3 12.00%
Dallas/Fort Worth 1 4.00%
Phoenix 0 0%
Philadelphia 3 12.00%
San Diego 0 0%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Sillicon Valley 2 8.00%
Boston 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Charlotte 2 8.00%
Baltimore/DC/Nova 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Other (list in thread) 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,743 times

Advertisements

This thread is probably gonna fail since I bet that there isn't a best answer, but is there a particular city where the accounting industry is particularly booming? Just thought I'd give it a shot, but $10 says it's gonna be NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
New York City

Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
As an Accountant myself, I would say the top 5 are:

1. New York City
2. San Francisco/Bay Area
3. Boston
4. Stamford
5. Chicago

If you are looking internationally:

1. London
2. Hong Kong
3. Vancouver

This is factoring in job openings, salaries, expected raises and opportunity for advancement.

This is an interesting read from Ajilon: http://www.webcpa.com/pdfs/ajilonPS_...sert_final.pdf

Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Houston, Dallas and San Antonio

Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Sunnyvale, California seems to have the highest percentage of accountants. It might be a suburb for all I know.

https://www.city-data.com/top2/c236.html
https://www.city-data.com/top2/c50.html

Mattncind list is likely better than what I could find as he's in the biz and what he says fits my cursory research.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I'm an accountant! Woo-hoo.

New York and Chicago seem to be the centers of accounting activity. Drawing in the most grads into one city from the Northeast and Midwest respectably. Those two cities have a pretty huge density of white-collar jobs like finance and accounting.

I guess I'd go with Chicago just because it's where I chose when deciding between the two. Mostly because the entry level pay in Chicago is fairly high given the cost of living.

Most grads are entering $45-50K or so. That's just for private though, I'm sure if you join KPMG, Deloitte, E&Y or PWC you're going to see higher entry pay - but much crappier hours. I'm up to around $80K a year after 5 years just doing your run-of-the-mill real estate accounting for one of a dozen firms in the loop. That lets me live very easily in the city.

When I applied for a new job in October of 2007 I put my resume on Monster.com as a starting point. I had 27 calls for interviews within 24 hours! Very overwhelming. I just went with the first three calls and had this job within a week. I'm so glad I got in before the economy went down though. I thank my lucky stars every day. Our company did just hire 11 more people though, so that's pretty optomistic.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm an accountant! Woo-hoo.

New York and Chicago seem to be the centers of accounting activity. Drawing in the most grads into one city from the Northeast and Midwest respectably. Those two cities have a pretty huge density of white-collar jobs like finance and accounting.

I guess I'd go with Chicago just because it's where I chose when deciding between the two. Mostly because the entry level pay in Chicago is fairly high given the cost of living.

Most grads are entering $45-50K or so. That's just for private though, I'm sure if you join KPMG, Deloitte, E&Y or PWC you're going to see higher entry pay - but much crappier hours. I'm up to around $80K a year after 5 years just doing your run-of-the-mill real estate accounting for one of a dozen firms in the loop. That lets me live very easily in the city.

When I applied for a new job in October of 2007 I put my resume on Monster.com as a starting point. I had 27 calls for interviews within 24 hours! Very overwhelming. I just went with the first three calls and had this job within a week. I'm so glad I got in before the economy went down though. I thank my lucky stars every day. Our company did just hire 11 more people though, so that's pretty optomistic.
Bump for more opinions, just in case, and a couple more things:

1. To the guy that said Stamford, did you mean "Stanford" as in Stanford, CA? Wouldn't that fall under the Bay Area/Sillicon Valley region?

2. To all the accountants on here, would you mind if I PM you a quick question regarding the career path in private accounting?

thanks

Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Bump for more opinions, just in case, and a couple more things:

1. To the guy that said Stamford, did you mean "Stanford" as in Stanford, CA? Wouldn't that fall under the Bay Area/Sillicon Valley region?

2. To all the accountants on here, would you mind if I PM you a quick question regarding the career path in private accounting?

thanks
Stamford, CT. Which is part of the NY Metro so you can include it under that umbrella. The reason why it is a great place for accountants and many other careers is the overflow from companies in NYC and also many NY city based companies have relocated their corporate offices for tax purposes to Stamford. It is also a very high paying location for Accounting jobs.

As far as number 2 is concerned I do not mind sending a PM with any questions you may have.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
As a CPA it was much easier to live and work in Chicago than NYC. The top cities in the nation for CPA-related work would be those two, I believe. But the salaries are actually the same, despite the vast and overwhelming difference in cost of living.

Would you rather live on $55,000 in Chicago or $55,00 in NYC?

Interestingly enough, when I moved back to Chicago my salary actually rose.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM

OK, I guess I'll ask my question here as well since so many accountants/CPAs are here or else I'll try PMing a couple of you (especially since we've all decided that Chicago is the best in terms of ease to live in):

I've heard that it's a really bad idea to go private first without starting in public. Have you guys found that to be true? Also, how much worse off would you be if you didn't work for a big 4, but worked for one of the smaller nationals (like BDO, Grant Thornton, etc.)? My goal is to be a financial controller (maybe CFO if I get lucky), so is that still possible from firms other than the Big 4? I had a bit of a rough start my first year (I started in pre-med and while I didn't do terribly, I finished with a 3.3 and had to drop econ once, however, I got an A in the BA 101 class and got an A- in econ the second time around), plus I had to transfer 2x (once it was because I was out of state and it was expensive esp since the economy was going down, the other time, I just hated the school and couldn't stand it), so I'm not sure how realistic the Big 4 is for my situation. I'm really worried about the transfer thing especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City