Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I think this diagram makes it pretty clear which is really the taller building in all the ways that count:
Lol FCP clearly owns that other building in the same way Aura owns Trump Toronto.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:58 PM

273 posts, read 322,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Dear Lord, we actually agree on something.
Most people do come around eventually.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 PM

273 posts, read 322,789 times
Quote:
I think this diagram makes it pretty clear which is really the taller building in all the ways that count:
Anyone who can look at this diagram and not think that FCP is taller needs their head examined.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually the CN Tower and Toronto skyline is more recognizable than people think. It has played the part of many cities in media.. I would say the CN Tower is definately one of the most recognizable buildings in the world, Eiffel Tower and ESB recognizable, no but certainly one of the more famous.

Yes he did know of the CN Tower, Skydome at the time and the Jays and yes the games are selling well now due to how they are doing.. A lot more people in T.O are wearing Jays attire too.
Do you think the CN Tower or Space needle are more well known?

probably a draw to me not sure

I would not put the CN tower in the same vein as the Eiffel tower or even ESB

though maybe miss read your post - if you are saying known but below those would agree

Old 07-02-2014, 06:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
For comparisons sake, here are Toronto and Seattle's most famous skyline icons, side by side:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...2at82242PM.png

Last edited by JMT; 07-03-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
For comparisons sake, here are Toronto and Seattle's most famous skyline icons, side by side:
impressive but not sure it makes either more well known

The Statue of Liberty is shorter than either and likely more well known

maybe put Mt Rainier there as well for perspective

Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Do you think the CN Tower or Space needle are more well known?

probably a draw to me not sure

I would not put the CN tower in the same vein as the Eiffel tower or even ESB

though maybe miss read your post - if you are saying known but below those would agree
I think the CN Tower is well known as far as tall structures are concerned... It received designation by the American society of Civil Engineers as one of the 7 wonders of the modern world and was the worlds tallest freestanding structure for 35 years. It is the defining symbol of a Canadian skyline and it also recieves many more yearly tourist visits than the Space Needle.

My post I was clear that the CN Tower is not as well known as Eiffel or ESB.. Now if im living in a third world country fighting to survive than no, I would't know of it but I would prolly not really know about much in the line of worldly things anyway.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
impressive but not sure it makes either more well known

The Statue of Liberty is shorter than either and likely more well known

maybe put Mt Rainier there as well for perspective
Yes but the Space Needle is not in NYC, the largest and most recognizable, famous city in the U.S. Toronto at the end of the day is the largest city in Canada and the CN Tower is in it so there is going to be some notoriety in that.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:41 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
That's tallest by architectural height. My post was referring to tallest by pinnacle height. BOA Plaza has a taller architectural height, but FCP has a taller roof AND pinnacle height. LA and Philly are about dethrone Atlanta with what they have under construction as we speak as well so there's no reason to get excited.
Im not excited about anything like that.lOL

Old 07-02-2014, 06:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
I said that the transamerica would likely be the most recognizable building in Toronto other than the CN tower. Not because of importance or height, but just for its funky design. Many disagree, and that's fine.

But the Golden Gate Bridge? Yeah, don't compare the BOA building in Atlanta or any building or tower in North America, besides the Empire state building, with the Golden Gate Bridge. It's in a whole other category in terms of recognizable landmarks being mentioned by you and downtown.
What are you talking about?I was comparing HIGHRISES..I just made statements about the boring design of many of Toronto's buildings.
Thats why all this was relevant.
Not that Atlanta BOA is more recognizeable than the Golden Gate.

Thank you fo letting us know that because I though the BOA in Atlanta was more recognizeable than the GG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City