Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Miami is miserable. Almost every last caucasian has left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 AM

515 posts, read 1,058,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Miami is miserable. Almost every last caucasian has left. The quality of life is nothing like Charlotte offers - people think Miami is like how it's portrayed on tv - and its not, it's one of the poorest cities in the US, high crime, terrible road rage, and very unfriendly/ticked off NY'ers and foreigners.
Give me a break! Many Cubans are of pure Spanish descent. That's Caucasian in case you didn't know. And sure Miami has its bad areas. But places like Miami beach, Coral Gables, Bal Harbor etc are still some of the most luxurious places in the States. As with anywhere else, it's all about money.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
I would have to argue with you that many cubans are of pure Spanish descent. That is an exceptionally hard statement to quantify and qualify considering the large impact of Africans in that region.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:04 AM
eek

a lot of cubans on u.s. soil are not black. some are, but a lot aren't. when you get to the island, thats a different story...

Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Those statements are pure racism. Cities with less caucasians are miserable??? I think the worse part about Miami is the income disparity and third world qualities in some of the poorest parts, but the city is exciting and has a lot of redeemable qualities. I like it and metro area considered, there are even better more affordable options in Broward and Palm Beach County as well.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,058,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I would have to argue with you that many cubans are of pure Spanish descent. That is an exceptionally hard statement to quantify and qualify considering the large impact of Africans in that region.
I am refereing to the affluent white Cubans who fled to Miami in the 60's and 70's. Many are descendants of Spanish immigrants who moved to Cuba during the Spanish civil war. Regretably prior to Castro, there has been a lot of segregation in Cuba. Some of the older Cubans in Miami still have a bigoted attiitude toward Blacks and Hispanics from other countries. I know, I used to live there...

But you are right however, in that if you go to Cuba now, many are Blacks or mulattos.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,882 times
Well, guys. I've been living here in Miami all my life. (19 years) ;]
And I can honestly say that Miami isn't what its all cracked up to be.
Sure, we have things to do, but once you've done it all, it gets pretty boring.
Whatever you heard about the traffic, it's true.
And whatever you've heard about the people being utterly rude, it's true too.

If your into partying all the time and have enough money to even buy a house here go for it!

Sometimes the living situation here is beyond expensive.
I think you're best bet would be like Homestead where you can have the best of both worlds.

My brother recently moved to Charlotte and I went over to visit last year. I honestly that it was a great place to live. Regardless if theres not much to do but bars and minimal shopping, you could go to the countless malls I went to.. it should be the same thing?

I guess in time Charlotte would be a lot more populated and give the public more things to do. But in a general sense, Charlotte is a lot better.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a lot of cubans on u.s. soil are not black. some are, but a lot aren't. when you get to the island, thats a different story...
I concede(conceed?) my point. I think the caribbean/latino(a) population in Charlotte is increasing. I have seen sevral dominicans in the area and know of some cubans as well. I also have seen a significant puerto rican population as well. Of course these are nationalities and not ethnicities, but my point is to show the diversification of Charlotte across the board: it's demographics, economy, and social structures are strating to change.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 32,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJany View Post
Well, guys. I've been living here in Miami all my life. (19 years) ;]
And I can honestly say that Miami isn't what its all cracked up to be.
Sure, we have things to do, but once you've done it all, it gets pretty boring.
Gee, maybe you should move to Detroit then.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 PM
eek

charlotte has like 5 malls...

eastland (stay far away)
northlake (decent)
southpark (the best, IMO)

and two others ppl may or may not count (because they are technically not in charlotte) :
concord mills (the shops surrounding it are better than whats in concord, IMO)
carolina place (decent)

i would think that miami has more malls but maybe i'm wrong. i'm a fan of palm trees and the beach and pretty women in all colors with crazy shapes...i would think that miami has more of that but maybe i'm wrong...

oh well, hope you enjoy charlotte, astro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City