Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times

Advertisements

Miami

although Charlotte's gonna be a force in the future if they keep building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
Miami

although Charlotte's gonna be a force in the future if they keep building
the problem with charlotte is that you can't do anything uptown except go to a bar or work at a bank. you can't shop in uptown charlotte. there are no clothing stores. parking and driving is horrible on the narrow streets. they need to build something that attracts ppl.

they do have the stadiums...so i'll give it credit for that.

the many festivals uptown throughout the year are all the same festival, just labeled differently. the same vendors selling the same food, the same music, the same everything. its actually kind of funny.

the museums are really small and not worth the trip (to be honest.) there's just not much of a reason to be there. i've never been to miami but i'm assuming that you can at least go downtown and enjoy yourself by shopping?

i'd talk about the lack of good public transportation in charlotte but i don't think miami is much better. correct me if i'm wrong.
charlotte is growing but mass transit for the city is not. now they're talking about a "street car."

lol @ a trolley in 2009, for a growing city. a city with one train line that goes nowhere. there is a plan for a second line that could get finished in the next 5-10 years.

miami, i would imagine is not as caught up in trying to fight change and protect its "southerness."

Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
miami, i would imagine is not as caught up in trying to fight change and protect its "southerness."
yup, miami may be a lot of things, but southern its not

Old 09-17-2009, 08:06 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Ok before this turns into the usual "Miami is not southern" argument.
Geographically it is, culturally its not.

As for the Charlotte-Miami debate....
Miami has a lot more international appeal and a much larger wealthy population, but a lot more poverty as well.
The quality of life in Charlotte is much better and the
city is a lot cleaner. Miami of course has better nightlife and shopping, but if I were wanting to raise a family I would definitely choose Charlotte. As for skylines, the Miami skyline has more bulk but is more bland. The Charlotte skyline is growing and much more diverse with architecture. The beaches in Miami are much better than Charlottes too. hehe

Old 09-17-2009, 08:43 AM

i like this night pic. it looks like a mini-LA or ATL

http://www.jackharrisphotography.com...tteskyline.jpg

Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Ok before this turns into the usual "Miami is not southern" argument.
Geographically it is, culturally its not.

As for the Charlotte-Miami debate....
Miami has a lot more international appeal and a much larger wealthy population, but a lot more poverty as well.
The quality of life in Charlotte is much better and the
city is a lot cleaner. Miami of course has better nightlife and shopping, but if I were wanting to raise a family I would definitely choose Charlotte. As for skylines, the Miami skyline has more bulk but is more bland. The Charlotte skyline is growing and much more diverse with architecture. The beaches in Miami are much better than Charlottes too. hehe
https://www.city-data.com/forum/10749822-post25.html
Quote:
I would hardly call this a bland skyline.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times
Quote:
Or this shot of Downtown Miami in the daytime,hardly more bland.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3547/...e8192504_b.jpg

Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the problem with charlotte is that you can't do anything uptown except go to a bar or work at a bank. you can't shop in uptown charlotte. there are no clothing stores. parking and driving is horrible on the narrow streets. they need to build something that attracts ppl.
While retail is definitely the missing piece of the puzzle for Uptown, it's a stretch to say that the only thing you can do Uptown is "go to a bar or work at a bank." We've also got a movie theater, bowling alley, music venues, NASCAR Hall of Fame (no, it doesn't appeal to everyone, but there's a market for it), Discovery Place, ImaginOn, the cultural campus under construction, etc.

Quote:
the many festivals uptown throughout the year are all the same festival, just labeled differently. the same vendors selling the same food, the same music, the same everything. its actually kind of funny.
I'm not sure how this is supposed to be a negative. Yes, we have annual festivals Uptown, like any other city.

Quote:
the museums are really small and not worth the trip (to be honest.) there's just not much of a reason to be there.
Again, the cultural campus is under construction which includes several new museums (Mint Museum, Bechtler Museum, African American museum, etc.) that are sure to be a significant draw once they open.

Quote:
i'd talk about the lack of good public transportation in charlotte but i don't think miami is much better. correct me if i'm wrong.
charlotte is growing but mass transit for the city is not. now they're talking about a "street car."
Our first leg of light rail, which debuted a few years ago, has already exceeded ridership projections.

Quote:
lol @ a trolley in 2009, for a growing city. a city with one train line that goes nowhere. there is a plan for a second line that could get finished in the next 5-10 years.
You obviously know little about streetcars and the role they play in growing cities. Did you know that Atlanta is planning one along Peachtree? And our one train line "goes nowhere"? It stretches along South Blvd, one of the cities busiest corridors, and through a variety of neighborhoods.

Quote:
"Fight change"? "Protect its Southernness"? You CAN'T be serious. For a city its size, Charlotte has made rapid progress within a pretty short period of time. Show me another city of comparable size, particularly within the South, that's done as much.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
While retail is definitely the missing piece of the puzzle for Uptown, it's a stretch to say that the only thing you can do Uptown is "go to a bar or work at a bank." We've also got a movie theater, bowling alley, music venues, NASCAR Hall of Fame (no, it doesn't appeal to everyone, but there's a market for it), Discovery Place, ImaginOn, the cultural campus under construction, etc.
true.
at the same time tho, discovery place is for children (to be honest), and the NASCAR hall of fame really doesn't appeal to a lot of ppl (but to be fair, the panthers' stadium (bank of america stadium??) appeals to more ppl). movie theatres and bowling alley's come a dime a dozen in charlotte.

there just really needs to be more of a variety of options in uptown charlotte. the buildings, when cropped (sorry, but that pic is very cropped), look nice but in person its really small.

Quote:
I'm not sure how this is supposed to be a negative. Yes, we have annual festivals Uptown, like any other city.
well its a negative if its like:

greece
puerto rico
china
australia
indian
get out and read a book
go listen to music
art

festivals all have the same exact everything in them. there's nothing different about any of them (the above are made up examples, by the way for those not familiar with charlotte). its not really that much of an attraction. again, there's potential...but ppl have to make things happen.

Quote:
Again, the cultural campus is under construction which includes several new museums (Mint Museum, Bechtler Museum, African American museum, etc.) that are sure to be a significant draw once they open.
but they aren't open. but again, thats potential and hopefully they will bring more variety.

Quote:
Our first leg of light rail, which debuted a few years ago, has already exceeded ridership projections.
which had to be pretty low. i mean the thing is two cars and doesn't really go anywhere. ppl ride out of hope and curiosity more than out of necessity.

they didn't build them right...or rather charlotte chose to go with the wrong cars. the system is compact and not ideal for a lot of ppl. charlotte will only grow.

Quote:
You obviously know little about streetcars and the role they play in growing cities. Did you know that Atlanta is planning one along Peachtree? And our one train line "goes nowhere"? It stretches along South Blvd, one of the cities busiest corridors, and through a variety of neighborhoods.
atlanta is notorious for not having decent mass transit, so what are you saying?
trolley's in 09 for growing cities is a short term fix, period. ppl need to embrace change. a street car is not the answer to charlotte's problem.

Quote:
"Fight change"? "Protect its Southernness"? You CAN'T be serious. For a city its size, Charlotte has made rapid progress within a pretty short period of time. Show me another city of comparable size, particularly within the South, that's done as much.
i'm not going to compare charlotte to another city. thats charlotte's problem in the first place. ppl want it to be the next ______. charlotte is charlotte and they need to form an identity that makes it THAT next city. banking wasn't the answer. what will it be next?

again, two professional teams, a growing population, the chips are there. charlotte just has to do what it needs to do to make the rest fall into place.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
...festivals all have the same exact everything in them. there's nothing different about any of them...
That’s not true at all. Charlotte has several different types of festivals. Some of the vendors do work the same events, but that’s the case in every city. As if there’s not a funnel cake or hot dog man in Miami who wouldn't work most festivals there????? Of course there are.

But there are a variety of festivals in Charlotte, with different themes, I’ve listed several below…

ST. PATRICK’S DAY FESTIVAL St Patrick's Day Parade & Charlotte Goes Green Festival
SCOTTISH FESTIVAL Rural Hill Scottish Festival & Loch Norman Highland Games
FESTIVAL ON THE GREEN Festival on the Green — CPCC Artsfest
ART AND SOUL FESTIVAL Your Page Title
BEER, BOURBON & BBQ FESTIVAL Beer and Bourbon Festival
DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL :: Charlotte Dragon Boat Festival ::
FESTA ITALIANA HOME
SPEED STREET FESTIVAL 600 FESTIVAL - Food Lion Speed Street
PATRIOT FESTIVAL http://www.patriotgala.com/thepatriotfestival.html (broken link)
CHARLOTTE FEMMEFEST www.charlottefemmefest.org
TASTE OF CHARLOTTE Taste of Charlotte | Home
PLAZA MIDWOOD KRAWL TheKrawl.org
JUNETEENTH FESTIVAL Welcome to Juneteenth
BASTILLE DAY FESTIVAL Free: Bastille Day Festival at Extravaganza Depot « Charlotte On The Cheap (http://www.charlotteonthecheap.com/?p=1871 - broken link)
CARIBBEAN FESTIVAL Charlotte Caribbean Festival 2009
PRIDE CHARLOTTE pridecharltotte.com
JAPANESE FESTIVAL Find Your Center - Things to Do - Bon Odori Japanese Festival
IRISH SUMMER FESTIVAL Charlotte Irish Summer Festival
MATTHEWS ALIVE! FESTIVAL Welcome to Matthews Alive!
CHARLOTTE LITERARY FESTIVAL Charlotte Literary Festival
FESTIVAL OF INDIA FOI Charlotte Home Page
YIASOU GREEK FESTIVAL Yiasou Greek Festival (http://web.htgo.org/yiasoufestival/index.htm - broken link)
BLUES, BREWS & BBQ FESTIVAL Find Your Center - Things to Do - Blues, Brews & BBQ
CHARLOTTE SUNSET JAZZ FESTIVAL CHARLOTTESUNSETJAZZFESTIVAL.COM
FESTIVAL IN THE PARK Festival In The Park
INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL International Festival | UNC Charlotte
CIAO, ITALIA! FESTIVAL 2009 Ciao, Italia! Festival Charlotte NC (http://www.italian-club-charlotte.org/index_files/Page451.htm - broken link)
OKTOBERFEST BEER FESTIVAL 11th Annual Charlotte Oktoberfest 2009
FIRST NIGHT CHARLOTTE http://www.firstnightcharlotte.com/
MEINEKE BOWL STREET FESTIVAL Meineke Car Care Bowl | Events (http://www.meinekecarcarebowl.com/events/streetfestival.html - broken link)
LATIN AMERICAN FESTIVAL Festival Latino Americano (http://www.festivallatinoamericano.org/ - broken link)
CAROLINA RENAISSANCE FESTIVAL Carolina Renaissance Festival
MIDDLE EASTERN FESTIVAL Middle East Council of the Carolinas| The MECC is a community based network of individuals and organizations that highlight the contributions of the Middle Eastern Community in the Carolinas, and create bridges of communication to promote trust and u
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City