Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
The CSA isn't generally used as often as the MSA to reflect
a city's true sphere of influence. CSA designation is relatively new.
Some of Charlotte's current "CSA" counties used to be "MSA" counties prior to the 2000 census. Yes, CSA is new. Thus, many folks don't respect it (simply because they don't understand it).

Charlotte is in the same boat as Nashville when it comes to MSA (assuming we completely ignore the 3,000 vs 5,700 sq/mi MSA land areas). CSA, however, sheds some light on why and how Charlotte is progressing so much faster than Nashville. Honestly, MSA sheds some light on this too if we pay close attention to the land area difference.

Trust me, if Nashville had the same amount of people in the same amount of land as either the city, MSA, or CSA of Charlotte, we WOULD NOT be having this conversation. However, there is a size/density difference between these two cities that points to why one is doing "better" than the other when it comes to progress and economics. My point is Charlotte is a larger city/metro (and no, it is not a "slight" difference).

Old 10-05-2009, 01:18 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
OK, you asked for it.LOL
Explain this:

Nashville | Emporis.com
Charlotte | Emporis.com

Why does a third party site show metro Charlotte (CSA) having 800,000 more people than metro Nashville (CSA) if these two cities are the "same size"?
Maybe because they used Combined Statistical Area which is a measure of regional population rather than Metropolitan Statistical Area which is a measure of metro population, a far better statistic to use for comparing cities. Charlotte's CSA contains not only its MSA, but also six distinct micropolitan areas. The metro populations are very close between Charlotte and Nashville.

Wiki says about CSAs: Note that CSAs represent multiple metropolitan or micropolitan areas that have a moderate degree of employment interchange. CSAs often represent regions with overlapping labor and media markets.

So when it comes to city vs. city (as opposed to region vs. region), metro Charlotte is only slightly larger than metro Nashville. You asked me to explain that, I explain it by clarifying that the CSA data you cite speaks to regions, ie. does not measure the size of a city, and the MSA data I cite speaks to single metro areas, ie. does measure the size of a city's metro.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My point is Charlotte is a larger city/metro (and no, it is not a "slight" difference).
Wrong.

My point is that Charlotte is only a slightly larger city/metro than Nashville but is in a much more populated region than Nashville is in. The data backs that up, and population density differences don't change that.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
This lends some support to the possibility of Nashville's growth rate continuing or even strengthening...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...americans.html

Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Nashville and Charlotte on a city population track are the same size. I think the new MSA definitions are only half the truth. Example, Raleigh and Durham just recently got their own MSA even though much of their cultural and travel definitely criss cross. In that regards, Charlotte definitely has the feel of a 2miilion plus city. Its GDP and skyline reflect that.

If Nashville is on the same level as Charlotte then NAshville needs to account for the nearly 40 billion difference in GDP. Nashville is a very nice city that is definitely growing at a great rate. It is doing some great things to improve its image and is truly a progressive city. I actually see Nashville as a smaller Charlotte.

Last edited by adavi215; 10-05-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
This lends some support to the possibility of Nashville's growth rate continuing or even strengthening...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...americans.html
Perhaps, but if you go to the Harris Poll's actual site, you'll see Nashville has been on that list since 2005
Link: Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - California and New York City Most Popular Places People Would Choose to Live, According to Harris Poll on States and Cities in the U.S.

I'm not suggesting anything negative with that comment, I'm just pointing out that Nashville making that list is nothing new.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Perhaps, but if you go to the Harris Poll's actual site, you'll see Nashville has been on that list since 2005
Link: Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - California and New York City Most Popular Places People Would Choose to Live, According to Harris Poll on States and Cities in the U.S.

I'm not suggesting anything negative with that comment, I'm just pointing out that Nashville making that list is nothing new.

I'm not saying its anything new...in fact, it's quite good that it is not anything new!!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 PM

358 posts, read 755,019 times
I'll take Nashville on this one.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
If Nashville is on the same level as Charlotte then NAshville needs to account for the nearly 40 billion difference in GDP.
Well said. However, Charlotte's GDP is growing this year. Nashville's is shrinking as of this year.

Also, Charlotte's CSA is nearly 50% larger than Nashville's (2.4 million vs 1.7 million).
Charlotte's GDP is nearly 50% larger than Nashville's ($118.4 billion vs. $78.9 billion).

Like you said, Charlotte acts like a 2 million plus metro where as Nashville acts like a 1 million plus metro. Charlotte is statistically much larger than Nashville in every category except UA. This fact has got to be considered or this thread will go nowhere.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:05 AM

656 posts, read 1,420,071 times
Great conversation guys/gals, never thought it would come to this interesting, a few of the other posters on the original forum should come back, I like how the debate is being played out, however remember to use the latest available data, not from 2000 or 1990 to 2000 unless you are analyzing what may be happening in the future based on past results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City