Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 04:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
The King Center trail IS the Freedom Park trail I was talking about. I SUPPOSE I'll let that slide even though it stops just short of downtown, at the King Center. From the King Center website:

The King Center is just east of Downtown Atlanta. Not IN downtown Atlanta, just east of downtown Atlanta. But in the interest of cooperation, I'll let that slide.

Now Charlotte...........................? (which the comparison in this thread was about anyway)
You don't know enough about Atlanta to keep arguing these points...the King Center is Downtown...sorry. It's not in the CBD, but it's part of Downtown.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
So no outdoors urban river or riverfront activities in Atlanta and Charlotte. River and riverwalk (or lakewalk or baywalk) in a downtown is ALWAYS more aesthetic and more outdoor recreation promoting than just concrete and asphalt. And so in Nashville while people are downtown enjoying the riverfront and biking/walking to and from it and boating/canoeing/kayaking to and from it, in Atlanta and Charlotte you go downtown and you're like OOOH concrete and asphalt AAHHHHHH no river. Waterfronts are PREEMINENT city features. Big cities make their waterfronts a KEY feature. Miami Beach, Washington DC, New York, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, DFW, Nashville. It is commonly understood just how much downtown waterfronts are gems. When a city doesn't have one, then people going downtown will have to be satisfied with seeing concrete and asphalt and (snicker) Frazier Park.

Ah, water and boat theme. Ok, can you put a motorboat, canoe, or kayak in the water and enjoy the outdoors in downtown Nashville from them? YES Can you do that in downtown Charlotte or Atlanta? NO Will you EVER be able to in downtown Charlotte or Atlanta? NO

But, I must say, from the times I've visited Charlotte, they have some REALLY nice concrete and asphalt downtown.
What is your obsession with having water available ONLY to downtown? Why does it matter if you can canoe downtown rather than 15 minutes from downtown? That makes no sense...who lives in downtown Nashville anyway??? I would say it's better to have recreational rivers and lakes where more people live.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:57 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You don't know enough about Atlanta to keep arguing these points...the King Center is Downtown...sorry. It's not in the CBD, but it's part of Downtown.
The King Center website says it is EAST of downtown. But like I said, I'll let that slide. Now what about Charlotte?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The King Center website says it is EAST of downtown. But like I said, I'll let that slide. Now what about Charlotte?
You'll let it slide... Thank you so much, Mr. Atlanta Expert.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
What is your obsession with having water available ONLY to downtown? Why does it matter if you can canoe downtown rather than 15 minutes from downtown?
It matters because with it, the city recreational amenities and downtown aesthetics are enhanced, and without it, you're pretty much left with concrete and asphalt and maybe something like a (snicker) Frazier Park. But like I said, some cities have really nice concrete and asphalt, and Charlotte is one.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:03 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
It matters because with it, the city recreational amenities and downtown aesthetics are enhanced, and without it, you're pretty much left with concrete and asphalt and maybe something like a (snicker) Frazier Park. But like I said, some cities have really nice concrete and asphalt, and Charlotte is one.
Enhanced? Says who?????

Old 10-10-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Or you can raft down the river somewhere besides downtown...one isn't any better than the other.

A downtown waterfront is a nice feature, but it doesn't make for any better recreation opportunities than a city with a lake or river 5 miles from downtown.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Or you can raft down the river somewhere besides downtown...one isn't any better than the other.
One enhances the urban aesthetic and amenity, the other does not. One enhances the vibrancy of the city core, the other does not. One puts the natural beauty within steps of downtown energy, the other does not. One adds significant nature to the city core, the other relegates the city core to concrete and asphalt. But some of those downtowns make the most of that concrete and asphalt. And Charlotte has some pretty nice concrete and asphalt downtown.

But I understand, somebody asks what are some of Charlotte's better features and somebody like you might say "well, it DOES have a river that goes around it. It's just as good as when downtowns have rivers and riverwalks and urban riverfront parks and riverfront lofts and condos and river activities within steps of urban dining and arts, same thing, not any real difference."

Old 10-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Enhanced? Says who?????
If I have to convince you that riverwalks and riverfront parks, (lakewalks, baywalks) etc. enhance a city's downtown, then we're more on the City-Data 101 level. LOL

Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
If I have to convince you that riverwalks and riverfront parks, (lakewalks, baywalks) etc. enhance a city's downtown, then we're more on the City-Data 101 level. LOL
First, Charlotte does have an "urban stream", the Little Sugar Creek Greenway. Kind of similar to Cherry Creek that runs through central Denver. I showed you this before. But I digress.

Second, you still haven't told us why having a river downtown matters to an outdoor enthusiast living in a city like Charlotte or Atlanta, when they can easily go canoeing, kayaking, biking, etc., elsewhere in the city, and even whitewater rafting, something one can't do in Nashville.

Little Sugar Creek Greenway

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City