Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Nashville's not doing poorly or anything you guys seem to be suggesting. A city does not have to grow as fast as Charlotte to be considered successful.
I agree. Nashville is doing just fine for itself. It's charting its own course and I think it's been quite successful thus far.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
^ I agree. One thing that Nashville has over Chaelotte is nightlife.

Charlotte wins almost every other category except culture....

Old 09-30-2009, 05:52 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
^ I agree. One thing that Nashville has over Chaelotte is nightlife.

I agree. Nashville and Hollywood celebrities are very intertwined these days so Nashville plays host to a lot of celebrity parties throughout the year.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
I was wondering if Memphis helps/hurts Nashville's standing and dominance as the city itself has issues but does have economic strenght , much like people either choose raleigh and charlotte distance from eachother but related in migration patterns and how the state does economically.
Memphis and Nashville might as well be in different states. Memphis to me feels more like it should be in Arkansas or Mississippi than in Tennessee. Nashville is Tennessee's one and only dominant city. Memphis is not much more than Little Rock on a larger scale.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Memphis is not much more than Little Rock on a larger scale.
I disagree. For one, Little Rock isn't nearly as culturally relevant as Memphis. In that regard, Memphis isn't that different from Nashville. Blues is to Memphis what country is to Nashville. Both Nashville and Memphis are home to large Christian denominations (Nashville more so than Memphis), so they both have that influence also. I think people tend to be so dismissive of Memphis because it's Blacker and poorer, whereas Nashville is Whiter and a bit more affluent.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I disagree. For one, Little Rock isn't nearly as culturally relevant as Memphis. In that regard, Memphis isn't that different from Nashville. Blues is to Memphis what country is to Nashville. Both Nashville and Memphis are home to large Christian denominations (Nashville more so than Memphis), so they both have that influence also. I think people tend to be so dismissive of Memphis because it's Blacker and poorer, whereas Nashville is Whiter and a bit more affluent.
Of course Memphis is more culturally relevant than Little Rock, but once you get off Beale street the two cities aren't much different in culture and feel except Memphis is much larger. I don't want to live in a city where I hear gunshots at all hours of the night anywhere I go. I was in an upscale pizza restaurant in Memphis and heard probably 12 gunshots from outside during my meal. Nashville is a much more pleasant and vibrant city to both live and visit.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Of course Memphis is more culturally relevant than Little Rock, but once you get off Beale street the two cities aren't much different in culture and feel except Memphis is much larger. I don't want to live in a city where I hear gunshots at all hours of the night anywhere I go. I was in an upscale pizza restaurant in Memphis and heard probably 12 gunshots from outside during my meal. Nashville is a much more pleasant and vibrant city to both live and visit.
I don't know. I had a great time at a little liquor house in West Memphis, Arkansas about 6 years ago. I met some girl there and . Well, we had a GREAT time and never heard one gunshot.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:50 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I agree. Nashville is doing just fine for itself. It's charting its own course and I think it's been quite successful thus far.
They say slow but steady wins the race sometimes, they said that about charlotte but come to think about it, charlotte was not that slow and steady, and its finance sector really caused trouble, its human nature when your banking ceo plays golf with a friend from another bank and trades transactions.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
They say slow but steady wins the race sometimes
I had no clue Charlotte and Nashville were racing each other...
Quote:
they said that about charlotte but come to think about it, charlotte was not that slow and steady
Who are "they". Please post a link to your source.
Quote:
its finance sector really caused trouble, its human nature when your banking ceo plays golf with a friend from another bank and trades transactions.
Ok, truth or dare time. Why were you on Charlotte's local forum trying to talk folks out of relocating to Charlotte?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...colnton-4.html

Here is one of your quotes from that thread:

Quote:
I think you ought to read my posts first as to why I said that, I did offer you suggestions, not only that but if you had provided more information about your circumstances and situations we could've given you helpful advice,

Do you run a business, if so what kind and would you benefit from another state's tax structure, ?

Are you cashing out your home, and if so do you have a mortgage on those homes?

Are you aware that North Carolina isn't exactly a "low tax state" although homes may be cheaper. (I pass no judgment in favor of that lack of status at this time)

Are you aware that certain people and residents support NC's higher taxes and don't complain about it in contrast to other states.

NC has one of the most oppressive taxes in the United States if you consider New York to have one of the most oppressive taxes, if you claim one research and fact along the same lines then why are you switching one "opppresive" place for the other.

It's like switching one wrong part for another wrong part.
Did you think this person should have moved to a "low tax" state like Tennessee. Hmmmmmmm??? Does Charlotte's growth really bother you that much? FWIW, less taxes collected means less government services. There is a reason why Tennessee is behind. Low taxes is not always a good thing. Think about it. You sometimes must pay in order to play.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-01-2009 at 12:31 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
There may be no income tax in TN but The government Still Gets it in other ways including a near 10% sales tax. The suburban Nashville schools are excellent and frequently appear on top schools lists. The Nashville city magnet school program has produced schools at the top
of the list before. A lot of that comes from
county and not state revenue. TN provides fine services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City