Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Move to San Francisco or Las Vegas?
I'd move to San Francisco 50 54.35%
I'd move to Las Vegas 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 PM

278 posts, read 791,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
But working level jobs...nah. It is like living on Long Island or in Orange County. If you ain't pulling down a hundred K or two it is a hard place.
agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,090 times
I noticed in your original post you referenced "we". If that includes your spouse, which of the two locales is she more likely to find employment? Will she have a work visa? The SF bay area has many things going for it. Unfortunately, affordability is not one of them. If the spouse/S.O. will likely make a meaningful contribution to the household income, I'd consider the bay area. If yours will be the sole income, I'd lean heavily towards Vegas.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
There is a reason why it's less expensive in Las Vegas than San Francisco. If there wasn't, everyone would move from San Francisco to Las Vegas, right?

I don't want to start any flame wars, but after living in both Seattle and Phoenix, I understand well why Phoenix is cheaper than Seattle. That's not to say that Phoenix is a bad place to live, but there is an elephant in the room when everyone talks about cheap housing. (Hint: ask yourself: "why is housing cheap in Las Vegas?")
Nah you don't. You just think you do.

In general OC is equivalnet to Seattle in costs...why would anyone who can afford to live in Seattle not move to OC? Or even up a little to Vancouver. That is Seattle with a much nicer climate.

There are lots of reasons but many deal with the luck of the draw.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
The cost issue is front and center just like everyone else has suggested, you'll have to decide that one on your own.

Just another point that nobody has brought up yet, I'm not sure who you're planning on working for in Vegas, but consider the number of IT jobs available in Vegas vs San Francisco. I'm not saying there are no IT jobs in Vegas, but there are comparatively few to SF. The biggest difference you'll probably notice job wise is that most IT employers here don't "get" knowledge work and will treat you like an assembly line worker, partly because they don't get it and partly because they don't have to since competition is low.

Obviously it depends on the company but my guess is that you'll likely have better quality of work life in SF and if you don't then you'll have many more options to find better quality of work life.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman_irl View Post
1. Las Vegas - 70k
2. San Francisco (mountain view) - 78k

and I am trying to decide which is the better option.

The role (database developer) is pretty much identical with both companies, except the SF one pays a little more.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 AM

106 posts, read 222,816 times
Default I moved back from Las Vegas to San Francisco

Things that are cheaper/better than Las Vegas in San Francisco
1. Public Transportation
2. Water
3. Electricity
4. Car Insurance
5. Education
6. People

Food is about the same.

Career income is way better than Vegas

Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
1. Public Transportation
2. Water
3. Electricity
4. Car Insurance
5. Education
6. People

Food is about the same.

You forgot to mention that the housing costs 3 times as much in San Fransisco making it WAY more expensive to live in.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
1. Public Transportation
2. Water
3. Electricity
4. Car Insurance
5. Education
6. People

Food is about the same.

Looking at the number of votes in the poll, not too many are agreeing with you armyjimb

Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 AM

946 posts, read 2,604,011 times
Quote:

6. People
Do you mean people in SF are poor tippers?

Sorry, couldn't resist the tongue in cheek, but there is no way to quantify how people are better. I have had great experiences with people since I moved here. I've also stayed off the strip and away from the entertainment centers; that probably influences my viewpoint. You can point to concrete things like number of buses per 100000 people, or car insurance rates, and state those are better in SF and have something on which to base your statement. But people? That's a personal prejudice that weakens your other positions.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Do you mean people in SF are poor tippers?

Sorry, couldn't resist the tongue in cheek, but there is no way to quantify how people are better. I have had great experiences with people since I moved here. I've also stayed off the strip and away from the entertainment centers; that probably influences my viewpoint. You can point to concrete things like number of buses per 100000 people, or car insurance rates, and state those are better in SF and have something on which to base your statement. But people? That's a personal prejudice that weakens your other positions.
Great post teach, I completely agree. Sounds like the poster you replied to didn't have much success in Las Vegas. I might be wrong, but my experiences in this forum have shown this is usually true when encountering this type of comment from "sour grape" posters

Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,394 times
But you have to realize, there is a reason why housing and cost of living is way cheaper in Las Vegas as opposed to San Francisco.

If there wasn't any reason for the difference, then hoards of people would be leaving SF and moving to Vegas. But from reading here, I don't think that is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City